Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:51 PM

43 posts, read 86,528 times

Advertisements

I posted a couple of weeks ago about Cherry Hill vs Mt. Laurel. We'll be going to NJ in a few weeks to check out different ares. I wanted to know if anyone can give us some advice on what other towns we should look into that are within a 45 minute commute to Marlton. Good school districts are our top priority. I had Cherry Hill, Marlton and Mt. Laurel in my head, but would like to explore other areas too. Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times
Voorhees (Camden Co.) and Medford (Burlington Co.) are also adjacent towns with decent schools.

If you are willing to commute up to 45 minutes away, there are decent areas in Gloucester County and some areas in Mercer County too.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
This post doesn't seem much different than your last one...

That said...Haddonfield, Moorestown, and Cherry Hill (East especially) are the top 3 school districts in South Jersey and are all within 15-25 minutes of Marlton. But Marlton and Mt. Laurel are pretty good themselves.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This post doesn't seem much different than your last one...

That said...Haddonfield, Moorestown, and Cherry Hill (East especially) are the top 3 school districts in South Jersey and are all within 15-25 minutes of Marlton. But Marlton and Mt. Laurel are pretty good themselves.

Sorry to be snippy, but they are two totally different posts. One is asking the best choice between Cherry Hill and Mount Laurel. The other one is asking for areas outside of those two towns. It's very difficult to get a feel for an area from the internet only and it's very helpful to ask people their opinions. We're getting closer to visiting and I would like to have as much information as I can so that it isn't a wasted trip. If you don't have an answer to my question without a snide comment, please don't bother answering. Thank you!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Haddonfield, Moorestown, and Cherry Hill is what I would recommend too.. Depending on how much you want to spend.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki1130 View Post
Sorry to be snippy, but they are two totally different posts. One is asking the best choice between Cherry Hill and Mount Laurel. The other one is asking for areas outside of those two towns. It's very difficult to get a feel for an area from the internet only and it's very helpful to ask people their opinions. We're getting closer to visiting and I would like to have as much information as I can so that it isn't a wasted trip. If you don't have an answer to my question without a snide comment, please don't bother answering. Thank you!
"...Also, those are the only 2 town we've been considering, but if there is another nearby that you would suggest, I would love to hear about that too. My husband's job will be in Mt. Laurel, so we would like to stay within 30 minutes of there...."

GoPhils "This post doesn't seem much different than your last one...

That said...Haddonfield, Moorestown, and Cherry Hill (East especially) are the top 3 school districts in South Jersey and are all within 15-25 minutes of Marlton. But Marlton and Mt. Laurel are pretty good themselves."

I was thinking the same thing about your post; it is similar and you did ask about other areas in both postings. GoPhils wasn't being snippy; do a forum search; Cherry Hill vs. Mt. Laurel, etc. has been answered. Check these:
Marlton, Mt. Laurel vs. Cherry Hill 4-16-10
Cherry Hill vs. Mt. Laurel 6-12-08
There's an entire page of Cherry Hill and surrounding area postings, search for Cherry Hill within the forum.
You seem so pleasant; you'll do well in NJ. Welcome!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
What kinda price range? Cinnaminson is a pretty easy commute to Marlton up Church Road.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM

billb7581- When we buy we'd like to stay under $500,000, but we'll be renting for about a year. I'm hoping that all of these towns have enough rentals available too. We'd rather rent a townhouse and not be in an apartment.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Sorry GoPhils for my reply to you. I am stressed and I just wanted some help. I realize there are many posts about the surrounding areas, but sometimes it's hard to sort through and figure out if the same answers from years ago still apply. Anyways, sorry.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Quote:
billb7581- When we buy we'd like to stay under $500,000, but we'll be renting for about a year. I'm hoping that all of these towns have enough rentals available too. We'd rather rent a townhouse and not be in an apartment.

Sorry GoPhils for my reply to you. I am stressed and I just wanted some help. I realize there are many posts about the surrounding areas, but sometimes it's hard to sort through and figure out if the same answers from years ago still apply. Anyways, sorry.
Don't stress out. You'll be happy with every town you mentioned. Renting isn't forever and once you're familiar with the area(s), you can move to the town that's best for you and your family. My friend lives in Mt. Laurel and she loves it there. She's in a townhouse/condo development; I'll ask her, if the homeowner's association has a list of any townhouse rentals. If yes, I'll send you the address of the development and you can check it out when you come to NJ.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

Keep in mind that Mt. Laurel, like Cherry Hill & some other communities sprawl. For instance, if the place of employment is at Bishop's Gate, or near it, you would be much closer to Moorestown & Cinnaminson than if the job was near Marlton.

We are strangers on the internet & really don't want personal information, but there are gray areas where sometimes it's difficult to address concerns. When posts from someone are very similar, it's more difficult to discern whether we are conveying information effectively to that person.

For what it's worth, South Jersey (& Philadelphia, for that matter) are very much typical of the MidAtlantic. Yes, you will run across transplants from the NY metro. You'd find them in NC, too. If you would not be concerned to move to Richmond or the Baltimore area you have no more reason for concern about South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia