Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,882,804 times

Advertisements

I think people are just geographically stupid. I have a friend from Flemington who, when I said I was from South Jersey, asked if I'm from Edison. That doesn't even make sense, going by a map Edison is almost on the same horizontal line as Flemington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 PM

262 posts, read 790,885 times
My motivation for starting this thread was something I read on the NJ forum that the central part of NJ was too plain and dull (or something to that effect). It is an interesting observation that each end thinks Central is part of the other!

I would think that Central and Shore are the truly independent parts of NJ. That is, not directly dependent on NYC or Philly. Just curious if there is anything special going on in these areas. Anything to create a third or fourth eceonomic base for the state.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,361,008 times
I kinda think of Central Jersey as a mixture of South and North Jersey. I guess Trenton (the state capital) has somewhat of an economic base. There's also Ft. Dix/McGuire AFB, which itself is basically in South Jersey, but towards the northern end of it so you probably have people some people commuting from points north. But other than local jobs, I was always under the impression that more people from Central Jersey commuted to North Jersey/NYC than they did to South Jersey/Philly, especially from the Central Jersey shore areas (thus lumping them in with North Jersey).

But where it gets confusing is Ocean County. Geographically, the southern parts of the county are equally or further south than Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, and Salem counties, but for some reason it's often categorized as part of Central Jersey.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,882,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But where it gets confusing is Ocean County. Geographically, the southern parts of the county are equally or further south than Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, and Salem counties, but for some reason it's often categorized as part of Central Jersey.
It's cause most of "Central Jersey" is still part of the NYC/North Jersey area culturally. All Yankees fans out there.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Even in the Southern parts? I know a lot of the Toms River area are NY fans, which is funny since the Phillies-afilliate BlueClaws are in Lakewood (although I guess they've only been there since '01). If the Phillies are able to keep up their recent success I'm sure we'll start gaining some more fans from Central Jersey

Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times
Quote:
I kinda think of Central Jersey as a mixture of South and North Jersey. I guess Trenton (the state capital) has somewhat of an economic base. There's also Ft. Dix/McGuire AFB, which itself is basically in South Jersey, but towards the northern end of it so you probably have people some people commuting from points north. But other than local jobs, I was always under the impression that more people from Central Jersey commuted to North Jersey/NYC than they did to South Jersey/Philly, especially from the Central Jersey shore areas (thus lumping them in with North Jersey).

When the southern counties tried to seceed, to form a separate state, a question to that effect was put on the ballots in each county that wanted to separate officially. It was not on the ballot in Ocean County. Overall, no one who is native or a long-term resident of South Jersey, who is old enough to remember that, has considered Ocean County to be part of South Jersey since then.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 PM

93 posts, read 236,324 times
Always been different from the north & south.The North is like New York,south we are "poor farmers",lol
Central has always been in the middle.The south if you think about it,is really Salem,Cumberland counties,mostly farms,much more open.When you get to the southeast of the state,like Atlantic,Cape May counties,it kinda gets more congested in the summer.I love the Northwest part of the state,like Warren,Hunterdon,Sussex counties,they are so beautiful,mountains,small towns,but it's so expensive to live up there especially in this economy that were in right now.I would love to go up to High Point State Park again,haven't been up there in 30yrs,way too long!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,076,663 times
Quote:
Even in the Southern parts? I know a lot of the Toms River area are NY fans, which is funny since the Phillies-afilliate BlueClaws are in Lakewood (although I guess they've only been there since '01). If the Phillies are able to keep up their recent success I'm sure we'll start gaining some more fans from Central Jersey
It's a beautiful little stadium.

The souvenir shop is interesting, with a mixture of Phillies, Yankees and Mets stuff.

BTW...not a chance that NY sports fans will change their allegiance, just as I would never be anything but a Phillies fan.

No matter where I live.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,076,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
we are here 2 years now and love it. Very tight neighborhood, with wonderful people. Beautiful landscape, many stores, great parks, clean, safe.....
We like you too, Frank.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's a beautiful little stadium.

The souvenir shop is interesting, with a mixture of Phillies, Yankees and Mets stuff.

BTW...not a chance that NY sports fans will change their allegiance, just as I would never be anything but a Phillies fan.
I was more referring to the possibility of some of the kids growing up to be Phillies fans because they're growing up with the BlueClaws right down the road, and probably don't realize that just over 10 years ago the Phillies were one of the worst teams in baseball. But I'm sure their Yankee fan parents will continue to brainwash them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia