Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:01 AM

219 posts, read 541,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Agreed.

It's really all relative. I lived most of my life in North Jersey and moving here was a refreshing change. By comparison, everyone around here is friendly. Try holding a door for someone in a North Jersey diner and see if you get a "thank you".Now if someone moved here from the midwest or the south, they may feel differently.

I don't think South Jersey has any of the attitude that stereotypical "Jersey" has....like it or not.
Yes I should not have been so general. The residents of South Jersey shouldn't be lumped together with their northern counterparts.

Now, about our corn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I'm a gal who grew up in Hawaii where everyone is super friendly. I've tried to apply that "Aloha spirit" here in NJ and it works pretty well. I make it a point to greet people, say hello, make eye contact, etc. Sometimes people are initially surprised but usually acknowledge me with a greeting or smile. My philosophy is to just be super friendly to folks and perhaps that will rub off.

I dunno. You can "Aloha" all you want around here and people will still ignore you. But you're right, it's the a good attitude to have anyway. I just wouldn't expect anything in return

Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I'm a gal who grew up in Hawaii where everyone is super friendly. I've tried to apply that "Aloha spirit" here in NJ and it works pretty well. I make it a point to greet people, say hello, make eye contact, etc. Sometimes people are initially surprised but usually acknowledge me with a greeting or smile. My philosophy is to just be super friendly to folks and perhaps that will rub off.

One thing I won't miss though is that attitude when driving. People are just so rude and aggressive. People can be rude anywhere but drivers around here really get on my nerves for some reason.
I really can't figure out whether you're in South Jersey. This thread is on the South Jersey board.

Will people walk down the street waving & greeting total strangers, no. If people see someone who they know, yes. If you look lost, though, someone will probably ask if you need help.

Drivers. . .native & long-term residents are polite behind the wheel. For instance, in South Jersey & Philly, when faced with a merge, drivers alternate.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I really can't figure out whether you're in South Jersey. This thread is on the South Jersey board.

Will people walk down the street waving & greeting total strangers, no. If people see someone who they know, yes. If you look lost, though, someone will probably ask if you need help.

Drivers. . .native & long-term residents are polite behind the wheel. For instance, in South Jersey & Philly, when faced with a merge, drivers alternate.
I think it depends where in NJ. In my experience, the mosty densely populated areas where residents are largely transient, are the least friendly. I grew up in Sicklerville back when it was all farms and it was very neighborly/friendly. Lived in Marlton for 13 years and hardly met anyone, no one hung outside or talked with each other...moved to Ocean City because it is very small-town like (at least for 9 months of the year) and people generally know each other, sit on porches and yes, even wave and say hi to strangers.

I do think part of it is attitude, too. So many people walk around with bluetooths in their ears or walk thinking about other things and don't make eye contact - but on occasions where I was in a great mood about something or thinking about something funny so had a smile on my face, I always notice a lot of people smiling back at me, talking more to me, etc.

I spent 6 months in Houston, and to me it didn't seem all that different in terms of friendliness than NJ, at least south Jersey. There are many places where the locals are friendly UNLESS you're not a local. Actually, a friend of mine had a bad experience when she took a teaching position and moved to Honolulu for a year - she said "they don't like mainlanders" and she couldn't wait to get back to Jersey, which per her particular experience, was friendlier.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it depends where in NJ. In my experience, the mosty densely populated areas where residents are largely transient, are the least friendly. I grew up in Sicklerville back when it was all farms and it was very neighborly/friendly. Lived in Marlton for 13 years and hardly met anyone, no one hung outside or talked with each other...moved to Ocean City because it is very small-town like (at least for 9 months of the year) and people generally know each other, sit on porches and yes, even wave and say hi to strangers.

I do think part of it is attitude, too. So many people walk around with bluetooths in their ears or walk thinking about other things and don't make eye contact - but on occasions where I was in a great mood about something or thinking about something funny so had a smile on my face, I always notice a lot of people smiling back at me, talking more to me, etc.

I spent 6 months in Houston, and to me it didn't seem all that different in terms of friendliness than NJ, at least south Jersey. There are many places where the locals are friendly UNLESS you're not a local. Actually, a friend of mine had a bad experience when she took a teaching position and moved to Honolulu for a year - she said "they don't like mainlanders" and she couldn't wait to get back to Jersey, which per her particular experience, was friendlier.
ur right south jersey ppl are beyond nice when I was down there I had very good experiences yes I did not drive either or have a friend to pick me up. Several rural places are nice ppl even offer you rides when you get lost I got lost in upstate NY I got help.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I found that your marital status plays more of a part in finding friends in South Jersey & many other places. As girls who I'd known for years married, they would freeze out the unmarried, whether single or divorced.

I've heard about the Hawaiian dislike of "mainlanders' for years as well.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 31,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
You're kidding right?

Ugh, I'm sick of the Jersey attitude. Maybe I need to move to Arizona for a while!
Phew! I agree! I was born and raised in Salem County and left when I was 18. Lived in various states for about ten years, and ended up marrying a so. California native and living there for 28 years. He and I had to move back to south Jersey because my mom needed help so she could keep living in her house. Neither of us has quit whining since we got here!

What with the mosquitoes, the humidity, the snow, the taxes, the absolute absence of anything to do, the ten-nice-days-to-be-outside a year ruined by the incessant whine of lawn mowers, edgers and blowers, all day long, every freakin' weekend, the miserable roads and the Xtreme Tailgater crowd , neither of us can wait 'til we can get out of here and go back home. We live twenty miles from where I work, and there are no freeways, that way; it's all back roads. People get RIGHT on the bumper (less than a car length) even at 55 or more, and just sit there, like that's going to make the guy in front of me go faster! In CA, maybe 5% of drivers do that; here, it's closer to 95%. Most of the time, I'll just pull over and let them go tailgate the next guy. Hubby and I chuckle 'cause it reminds us of a line-up of dogs sniffing each other.

As far as the "Jersey attitude", I'd say that the customer service department where I work epitomizes just that. Holy cow, those chicks are scary! Customer service, my Aunt Fanny! They think that I'm difficult to work with, even though in 30 years of working, I've had compliment after compliment about how helpful, friendly and optimistic I am. I'm just so grateful to have gotten out of here at 18, before that attitude set in!!!

And yes, I have heard that it's worse in north Jersey.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
you are so full of crap..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumHopper View Post
Phew! I agree! I was born and raised in Salem County and left when I was 18. Lived in various states for about ten years, and ended up marrying a so. California native and living there for 28 years. He and I had to move back to south Jersey because my mom needed help so she could keep living in her house. Neither of us has quit whining since we got here!

What with the mosquitoes, the humidity, the snow, the taxes, the absolute absence of anything to do, the ten-nice-days-to-be-outside a year ruined by the incessant whine of lawn mowers, edgers and blowers, all day long, every freakin' weekend, the miserable roads and the Xtreme Tailgater crowd , neither of us can wait 'til we can get out of here and go back home. We live twenty miles from where I work, and there are no freeways, that way; it's all back roads. People get RIGHT on the bumper (less than a car length) even at 55 or more, and just sit there, like that's going to make the guy in front of me go faster! In CA, maybe 5% of drivers do that; here, it's closer to 95%. Most of the time, I'll just pull over and let them go tailgate the next guy. Hubby and I chuckle 'cause it reminds us of a line-up of dogs sniffing each other.

As far as the "Jersey attitude", I'd say that the customer service department where I work epitomizes just that. Holy cow, those chicks are scary! Customer service, my Aunt Fanny! They think that I'm difficult to work with, even though in 30 years of working, I've had compliment after compliment about how helpful, friendly and optimistic I am. I'm just so grateful to have gotten out of here at 18, before that attitude set in!!!

And yes, I have heard that it's worse in north Jersey.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumHopper View Post
... 'cause it reminds us of a line-up of dogs sniffing each other. ...
Thanks for the visual. I'll never do it again.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM

13 posts, read 31,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you are so full of crap..
JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia