Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I guess it's good news for PREIT but I'm not so sure this will help Moorestown Mall so much.

If the 30+ yr old UA theater were to ever close, PREIT could have a space to rebuild the foodcourt and the central area of the mall, which is weak, and maybe have some good pads for restaurants.

I think Moorestown's anchors will be around, but the inside of the mall (the space where the mall owner is supposed to make money) will continue to be die slowly with the number of vacancies, and not sure restaurants will really help bring in more retailers there.

Maybe the offset from the dead inside can be rent from the outparcels (including restaurants), as seen in PREIT's Plymouth Meeting Mall, where the enclosed part of the mall is still very dead, even after a PF Changs, Whole Foods and a number of other stores/restaurants joined as outparcels. Side note: Moorestown is still a better mall, over Plymouth Meeting even though Moorestown looks more dated inside. It has 4 anchors with a L&T, and the macy's is a lot newer/modern over the macy's at PM - so maybe Moorestown can beat the odds. It's still sandwiched between the retail malls/plazas of Cherry Hill, and Marlton however.

I'm not sure I fully get why PREIT permitted Chipotle to be in the mall, but not have an actual entrance within the mall. One has to go outside and use Chipotle's entrance- I guess it was better than not having them at all there, but PREIT must have conceded to it.
You should have seen it originally. What you see now is the result of a total overhaul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Is that skate park still there? Whether or not you like "those kids," they brought a lot of business to that mall, or to the food court at least.
It's called Black Diamond Skatepark and it's still there. As you said it is probably one of the malls biggest draws. A lot of people take their kids there to skate and the kids then spend money in the foodcourt and chances are mom or dad is going to be doing some shopping while they wait for the kids to finish skating.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:43 AM

283 posts, read 607,432 times
I still think that whole area will do well though. Reason being that the big box stores like Best Buy etc. can get bigger square footage there (e.g. Burlington County taxes vs. Camden County taxes). Also, it has better highway access to 295, a large amount of office workers right nearby (my corporate office alone has a few thousand and is right nearby). Moorestown Mall's anchors don't help the cause though (especially Sears). Boscovs and Sears are both downmarket in some respects.

Restaurants could work though, especially if they cater to the lunch crowd. We are all sick of going to the same 8 places in the area. The mall is 5 minutes away and if it had options like Cherry Hill - it would be awesome for us.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,137 times
I hope Collinswood and Haddonfield will lift their outdated dry laws. Both have very cute down towns and sweet little wine cafes could do very well in both places. Not everybody living in those two towns are teetotalers.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM

681 posts, read 1,512,816 times
I would love to see this as well but asking the mayor gets you "I don't think thats a good idea here". My take is that maley is so dug into the town that you can't get much past his dictatorship. He touts "what we did here in '99" alot but doesn't take much accountabilty on the Lumberyard thing. He blames the economy, or Moody's or some external entity. As long as his crew is in power, Collingswood will move at at what he thinks is best for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,818 times
Skate park is still there. I haven't noticed any problems at the mall because of it. It's so expensive that I haven't taken my beginner skateboarder there yet, though. Waiting for the Medford outdoor one to open.
Having never lived anywhere that had "dry" towns before, I never really understood it. If I want a glass of wine with my meal at a lisenced restaurant, why shouldn't I? However, the point about small businesses being negatively effected by this could be a valid point if licenses are expensive or difficult to obtain.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
It used to be Van's Skatepark. Van's left but it was reopened as Black Diamond Sports Park.

PREIT still has two failed made for kids spaces (Krazy City) at Voorhees Town Center and Plymouth Meeting Mall.

While Moorestown has a lot of offices nearby, so does Plymouth Meeting, and both have great locations, and no dead anchor space.

I think PREIT charges way too high rent, making it difficult for small businesses to operate in their B malls. In comparison, Neshaminy Mall in Bensalem has almost full occupancy with a good mix of national and some smaller businesses.

Last edited by avg12; 11-21-2011 at 10:51 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You should have seen it originally. What you see now is the result of a total overhaul.
I remember in the 90's? they did renovate part of the mall, but not the whole thing. The raised the rent it seems also, as the newly renovated part by the strawbridge's/lord&taylor side never filled up.

I remember they had a Friendly's restaurant, Burger King and Woolworth's inside the mall prior to that renovation

After renovation, food was relegated to food court only, and only certain types of chains, mostly national apparel chains stayed but opened in new spaces.

But after 2-3 years, a number of chains, like Wet Seal left, and the girl stores didn't bother at Moorestown, as that demographic goes to Cherry Hill. Even more recently, Foot Locker cut it space and the vacancy issue is worse. PREIT is expecting more Gap type chains but there are just fewer of them around willing to open in B malls.

The foodcourt still kept the pastel look, as well as the exterior.

They did recently replace the exterior signage and now it some southwest orange/brown combination.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I remember in the 90's? they did renovate part of the mall, but not the whole thing. The raised the rent it seems also, as the newly renovated part by the strawbridge's/lord&taylor side never filled up.

I remember they had a Friendly's restaurant, Burger King and Woolworth's inside the mall prior to that renovation

After renovation, food was relegated to food court only, and only certain types of chains, mostly national apparel chains stayed but opened in new spaces.

But after 2-3 years, a number of chains, like Wet Seal left, and the girl stores didn't bother at Moorestown, as that demographic goes to Cherry Hill. Even more recently, Foot Locker cut it space and the vacancy issue is worse. PREIT is expecting more Gap type chains but there are just fewer of them around willing to open in B malls.

The foodcourt still kept the pastel look, as well as the exterior.

They did recently replace the exterior signage and now it some southwest orange/brown combination.
Originally, it was a late '50s look & inside were faux streams with ducks swimming.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
I like the Moorestown Mall (shrugs). I haven't been to the Cherry Hill mall in probably 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia