Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the subforum be changed to "Southern New Jersey"?
Yes, with the counties of Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland included. 50 73.53%
Yes, but only include the current counties in the subforum. 5 7.35%
Yes, but I think there should be a different mix of counties (please explain). 5 7.35%
No, keep it exactly how it is. 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Kudos to frank for putting the idea out there to get this forum made and also to southbound for supporting the idea and lobbying for it; it was a very necessary addition versus what it was before.

I have no idea if it's something that they will even entertain doing, but it's worth a shot. I venture a name and slight definition change is maybe easier to achieve then the creation of a forum. I figured we'll give the poll a little more time to collect votes and then I'll run it up the chain and see what happens.

Looking at the other state forums the subforums tend to be city based, but there are at least a couple of "regional" forums including one in PA. I guess it all comes down to what they are really trying to achieve and what "rules" exist for the forums. If it needs to follow a certain model that makes sense to people not from the area and is based on some official designation, then so be it. However, the current makeup doesn't make much sense locally and the adjusted definition would include over 2 million people and there are definitely subforums dedicated to much smaller areas in terms of population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think it is a no brainer. Forums are organized by state. Why the hell do they mix states with this one?
Concur with you on this one completely Manderly6. It is a no-brainer. It would be like "The southern Illinois suburbs of St. Louis."

Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Concur with you on this one completely Manderly6. It is a no-brainer. It would be like "The southern Illinois suburbs of St. Louis."
I think it makes sense. It makes people realize that South Jersey is part of the Philly market. I've met a lot of people who don't understand what I'm saying when I say I live in NJ near Philadelphia. They simply can't visualize the geography in their minds.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I think it makes sense. It makes people realize that South Jersey is part of the Philly market. I've met a lot of people who don't understand what I'm saying when I say I live in NJ near Philadelphia. They simply can't visualize the geography in their minds.
I know.. When I tell people in work where I live, they get a blank stare . They all think NJ is so far away.. When I tell them I am 14 miles away door to door they can't believe it..

Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Looking at the other state forums the subforums tend to be city based, but there are at least a couple of "regional" forums including one in PA.
True. Furthermore, "South Jersey" (as well as "North Jersey") is a fairly common term when describing (generally) where a person is from or lives in NJ. How many people say, "Oh, I am from the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia." I have never heard it once.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:59 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
South Jersey. I want more of an opportunity to extol on the virtues of Margate and Linwood.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
South Jersey. I want more of an opportunity to extol on the virtues of Margate and Linwood.
Never been to Linwood. I had to look it up in fact.. Nice?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I know.. When I tell people in work where I live, they get a blank stare . They all think NJ is so far away.. When I tell them I am 14 miles away door to door they can't believe it..
Well, I guess it's nice to see that people outside the southern end of the state are just as clueless as those on the other end.

I live in Monmouth County, work in Jersey City. A woman in my office who lives in Manhattan can't wrap her head around the fact that I have a 90-minute commute to work. How can that be when I live in New Jersey?

The thing is, I had a similar conversation with another New Yorker a couple of years ago when I lived up in Bergen County and was traveling to Cape May. I mentioned that I had a four-hour drive ahead of me. How could I be driving for four hours from one place in New Jersey to another place in New Jersey?

Apparently, NJ is only a few square miles in area in the minds of some.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Never been to Linwood. I had to look it up in fact.. Nice?
Nice, quiet little Quaker town along the edge of the mainland, wedged between Northfield, Somers Point, and Egg Harbor Township. It's a prime destination for Longport, Margate, and Ventnor families fleeing the abysmal Atlantic City School District (with which they have a sending-receiving relationship on the high school level). Just a lot of nice parks, shady, tree-lined streets, and housing stock ranging from post-Civil War Victorian to sprawling, custom post-war ranches and splits to recently-constructed estates. There's also some hidden gems like a Maritime Museum and a 19th-century schoolhouse open for touring. Most of my personal experience with Linwood comes from going to Linwood Country Club, which we Jews founded back when Atlantic City Country Club and Greate Bay wouldn't touch us with a belly-putter.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 PM

yea.. If you drive from tip to tip of Jersey, it has to be a 5 hour trip by car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I guess it's nice to see that people outside the southern end of the state are just as clueless as those on the other end.

I live in Monmouth County, work in Jersey City. A woman in my office who lives in Manhattan can't wrap her head around the fact that I have a 90-minute commute to work. How can that be when I live in New Jersey?

The thing is, I had a similar conversation with another New Yorker a couple of years ago when I lived up in Bergen County and was traveling to Cape May. I mentioned that I had a four-hour drive ahead of me. How could I be driving for four hours from one place in New Jersey to another place in New Jersey?

Apparently, NJ is only a few square miles in area in the minds of some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia