Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,687 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking of renting a shore place this summer. Only need a single room for the wife & I. Somewhere in Ocean City, Cape May or around that area. So has anyone tried the approach of going down to the shore you want to rent on a Saturday afternoon and walk in saying "any rentals available" for a low price? Basically aiming to get something that never rented or got a last minute cancellation?

Just wondering if anyone has any luck with this.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
I don't know anyone who has tried this. If there is a last minute vacancy, I guess it will be cheaper, but you are also taking a chance. I don't know how many last-minute cancellations there are due to the non-refundable deposits required for rentals. Many owners will just use their place themselves on weeks it's not rented or offer it to friends or family, so without notice you might find they would have rented cheaply but it's too late because Uncle Joe and Aunt Betty are using it since it was empty.
I think you might do better asking a week or 2 before you want to come, you can still get a better deal but won't have to worry about driving around with your suitcases and not having a decent place to stay. If you go to many of the realty sites, they list open weeks for the rentals in their listings, so you can kind of keep an eye on how fast places are filling up.

Time of year also makes a difference. You'll have better luck in June or late August than you will in July, and check the local calendars to make sure there isn't some big event that week.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
you can surely do this, but it takes a lot of patience and its a pain, but can be done. We used to do that with hotels as a kid. My Dad refused to call ahead and we did this almost every year

Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you can surely do this, but it takes a lot of patience and its a pain, but can be done. We used to do that with hotels as a kid. My Dad refused to call ahead and we did this almost every year
Care to provide any more details on exactly what he did?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM

we drove down and stopped at every hotel we liked and asked if there were any vacancies for the week If they said yes and it was within our budget we moved in.. If not we moved on to another hotel and did it over again

Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 AM

But did they reduce their rate because you were there last minute?

I was thinking the OP wanted a house rental, but a hotel would probably be easier. Just be aware there aren't really that many in OC, and there are very few no vacancy signs in the height of summer. Again, make sure nothing really big is going on the week you want to come (like Nights in Venice in OC, etc).

Also be aware that realtor's offices are complete madhouses on Saturdays, if a home rental is what you are looking for. I would go early, by 9 or 10am, if you want someone to be able to take the time to help you properly.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 AM

no I do not believe we got any sort of last minute discounts.. But that was many many years ago. Maybe discounts at the last minute are something you be get today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But did they reduce their rate because you were there last minute?

I was thinking the OP wanted a house rental, but a hotel would probably be easier. Just be aware there aren't really that many in OC, and there are very few no vacancy signs in the height of summer. Again, make sure nothing really big is going on the week you want to come (like Nights in Venice in OC, etc).

Also be aware that realtor's offices are complete madhouses on Saturdays, if a home rental is what you are looking for. I would go early, by 9 or 10am, if you want someone to be able to take the time to help you properly.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM

I think that's why the OP wants to wait till the last minute, to get a better deal. I could be wrong, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia