Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

There is nothing even remotely sketchy about the Cherry Hill-Voorhees-Evesham-Mount Laurel corridor. Soulless and sprawling, sure, but not even remotely dangerous. That said, the area is not universally affluent, and there are some pockets within them most would find on the less aesthetically pleasing side. But even these are stable and solidly upper working/lower middle class.

That said, Main Street Marlton actually offers a nice respite from the usual tract housing, strip malls, and big box stores. In the areas toward Medford, Evesham Township starts getting pretty woodsy, and takes on a pleasantly bucolic, almost rural feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM

37 posts, read 78,797 times
Best thing about Marlton is its convenient location. I live in the Woodstream section (close to Cherry Hill border), but if you're East of Rt 73 there's more traffic to deal with. I'm just West of 73 off Greentree. Turnpike, 73, 70, 295, airport, Philly, and all the shopping/restaurants are very close. Houses in Woodstream are affordable ($200k - $275k), but Marlton's one of those town where you could spend $150,000 or $1.5 mil and anywhere in between. Stay away from King's Grant, anything down 73 bc you will get KILLED every day in traffic.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCalifornia View Post
Stay away from King's Grant, anything down 73 bc you will get KILLED every day in traffic.
Depends on your definition of killed. Generally takes me 20 minutes to get to 295.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Evesham is not in the least bit sketchy. Of course there are better towns, but if you call a town like Evesham "sketchy", what exactly is your definition of the word?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Evesham is not in the least bit sketchy. Of course there are better towns, but if you call a town like Evesham "sketchy", what exactly is your definition of the word?
Since I used the word in my post, I can respond. To me it's a relative term. The particular area I mentioned has a reputation for a lot of drug traffic and petty crime. The apartments there also have a lot of subsidized low income units. The older townhome community near those apartments is rather rundown and there are a number of foreclosures and other issues with it. In terms of Evesham/Marlton that makes that particular area "sketchy". Just as the one section of Larchmont in Mount Laurel also qualifies to have the word "sketchy" applied to it.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Since I used the word in my post, I can respond. To me it's a relative term. The particular area I mentioned has a reputation for a lot of drug traffic and petty crime. The apartments there also have a lot of subsidized low income units. The older townhome community near those apartments is rather rundown and there are a number of foreclosures and other issues with it. In terms of Evesham/Marlton that makes that particular area "sketchy". Just as the one section of Larchmont in Mount Laurel also qualifies to have the word "sketchy" applied to it.
There is not a town in this entire state that I have been to that DOES NOT have these types of elements in it.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:28 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
There is not a town in this entire state that I have been to that DOES NOT have these types of elements in it.
+1

You can find (relatively speaking) a seedy underbelly just about anywhere if you care to look for it.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
+1

You can find (relatively speaking) a seedy underbelly just about anywhere if you care to look for it.
Absolutely and it doesn't really mean anything in terms of the town on the whole. However, if one is looking to purchase a property in a specific town, then it would seem wise to avoid buying one that is located in what just happens to be that towns "underbelly" if given the choice. Even if that "underbelly" really isn't all that "under" or "belly" in the grand scheme of things.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 PM

8 posts, read 22,884 times
My husband and I moved to Marlton from Center City almost a year ago and yes, it's pretty safe. We live near Evesboro-Medford Road, so a little further from the area you had in mind. One thing we've realized over the past year is that there may be less to do here than we thought unless your life revolves around your children. I used to think I'd be happy with B&N (there is one at the intersection of 70 and 73) and The Promenade, but there's only so much shopping a person can do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia