Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,736 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am moving from North Wales, PA to Marlton area with my wife and a 2 month old. I am looking to rent a 2BR apt near my wife's workplace. Can you please suggest any good apartment communities ? Safety is our 1st priority. We looked at the websites of Allison apartments and Nieuw Amsterdam apartments and Ramblewood apartments. These are real close to my wife's work. How are these - Does any one of you have any 1st hand experience in these ? Also, I will be commuting daily to my work in Kulpsville, PA. I know it is bad due to traffic but is it still doable ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Thanks,
malhotrasoft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,580 times
I think that is going to be a difficult commute for you.

I'd suggest renting a place in the Burlington, Bordentown or Florence area, where you can just get on the PA Turnpike easily, and for your wife, it's not too bad at all commuting from that area to Marlton, assuming she can drive.

Last edited by avg12; 12-19-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I think that is going to be a difficult commute for you.

I'd suggest renting a place in the Burlington, Bordentown or Florence area, where you can just get on the PA Turnpike easily, and for your wife, it's not too bad at all commuting from that area to Marlton, assuming she can drive.
exactly. Thats a far commute... Getting near the NJ turnpike is great advice

Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,580 times
PA Turnpike Its still a long commute and sometimes the turnpike is a parking lot, but overall usually not and more possible to go 75mph in the morning than commuting thru 76 via Philly.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 9,736 times
Thanks for the replies... Unfortunately my wife is a new driver and I don't want her to drive long. So I have to suck up this long commute for atleast a year. Then we can may be shift somewhere near NJTP. What are your thoughts about the apartment communities that I listed ? And any good day care centers in Marlton area ?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
I don't have any personal experience with the apartments you listed, but a VP at a company I used to work for lived in Ramblewood for nearly two years after he moved to NJ from FL and was having a house built. He wasn't "thrilled" with it, but this was a guy used to living in $750k houses. The fact he stayed there for two years and couldn't find much to complain about it other then it wasn't his thing seems to be a pretty ringing endorsement. I looked there when I was moving out of temp housing in Voorhees after a work transfer, but I ended up getting a rental in Moorestown for less money.

The nice thing with Ramblewood is that it's a huge complex with a ton of variety in terms of units from 1BR apartments to 3-4BR townhomes. So, they really can accomodate almost any need. They are located in a nice area with a lot of open space around it and have easy highway access. For your commute you would basically get on 73 and then immediately hop on 295 or the NJTP and would be at the PATP interchange in around 20 minutes.

As for day cares, I have never used one and wouldn't know what to recommend in that immediate area that would be convenient. Maybe have your wife ask her companies HR department for any recommendations. Many companies in the area tend to have negotiated deals with day care providers in the area for their employees.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
There's a strip mall within walking distance of Nieuw Amsterdam, including Wawa. Might be beneficial for tut and your wife.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,935,791 times
Look at Hollows Condo. There are a few 2/2 unit for rent there. Rates are reasonable.

I used to own and live one of the unit there. I believe there is quite a investor owned unit that investors overpaid before the bubble burst. They are just looking for renter to ride it out.

It's convenience. Right between R73 and Greentree Rd. You are close to everything (Wholefood, ShopRite, NJ Turnpike, RT 295, etc..)

As for the commute.. It's long but could probably be done in 60-90 minutes. Would I do it long term? No.. it will put a strain on you after a while (especially with family).

As for day care:

There are quite a few. I have first hand experience with both my kids going to Excel Learning Center. There are two location (Mt. Laurel and Marlton). The Marlton location is small and old. The Mt. Laurel one is huge (actually offer summer camp there). There is a new day care that opened last year (School House) on Hainsport Mt. Laurel Road. I believe the facility was completely redone.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM

267 posts, read 950,719 times
I currently live in Willow Ridge in Marlton, and I highly recommend it. The apartment layout is a little bit larger at Allison, but the complex in general there feels more "apartment-like". Willow Ridge has a more residential feel about it. We found management at Willow Ridge to be far more helpful and accommodating as well. I don't know much about Nieuw Amsterdam, but know that it's basically next door to Allison.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM

433 posts, read 960,170 times
Default I lived at Allison for five years

I lived at Allison from 2004 through 2009 and loved it. If you consider Allison, opt for a corner unit which has more square footage and more windows, not to mention one less common wall. During my five years at Allison, I found it to be very quiet and safe. I never had any problems there, and Davis Enterprises' maintenance is the best I've ever encountered.

Allison is VERY close to a strip mall with Wawa, a drycleaner, and China One takeout. I walked to it from my apt.

If you want my opinion on Nieuw Amsterdam, PM me. Susan

Last edited by 50something; 01-20-2013 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia