Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,459 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the delay in response, between finals and holidays its been pretty busy.

Thanks for the advice everyone, for someone who has never been to Jersey this is definitely some sound advice. I'm surprised to hear some cities are dry, but I'm glad to hear there are options.

If you guys have any recommendations for realtors for the cities mentioned I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Moorestown is more of a sleepy, older crowd with lots of money. There are families around but not the happening place to be. Collingswood is fun. It is a dry town but that's part of it's charm. Doing a BYOB is SO MUCH CHEAPER. Bring a bottle of tequilla to the Tortila Press and they will make you your margharitas, no charge. Now, because it is dry there are liquer stores on almost any road out of Collingswood right past the city limits.

For Beers. PJ Whels is a chain restaurant but not bad. They also own The Pour House chain too. They try to appease the micro brew crowd here. You also have Iron Hill Brewery in My Laurel and soon to open in Voorhees. Iron Hill has a bunch of locations in the area. They brew on premises. They have a set menu of beers that all locations brew and each brewmaster for each location also brews their own special recipes. My homebrew club meets at Iron Hill every month for our meetings.

A quick trip on PATCO and a few minute cab ride and you are at Yards Brewery. They have tours, samples and some pretty ok pub fare. A quick trip to Delaware and you can visit Dog Fish Head.

We don't have quite the micro brew scene as say, Portland OR or Vermont but we are on our way

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM

283 posts, read 607,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledMafia View Post
Sorry for the delay in response, between finals and holidays its been pretty busy.

Thanks for the advice everyone, for someone who has never been to Jersey this is definitely some sound advice. I'm surprised to hear some cities are dry, but I'm glad to hear there are options.

If you guys have any recommendations for realtors for the cities mentioned I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
I would try the conventional sources like Craigslist, but you may want to check out Main Street for a realtor. It may be a good time of year to get someone's attention since winter months are slower for housing sales. Maybe you can get your work to put you up someplace for a few weeks so you have some more time to find the right place? Like an Extended Stay or something?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:

I always recommend Barsky and Katinsky Realty on Haddon Ave. in Collingswood.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I always recommend Barsky and Katinsky Realty on Haddon Ave. in Collingswood.
Thanks for the recommendation, given I will only be able to go down there once before I start being able to have a realtor to set up a bunch of stops/visits would be ideal

Last edited by ExiledMafia; 01-02-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Pour House, Treno, Brewers, and PJs are all on the same street within a half mile stretch. Only the Tap Room is off the beaten path. I live in South Philly and have been to all of them except the Tap Room because it's the only one not within a 5 minute walk of the train station.

Also - http://flyingfish.com/ is just off Evesham Rd. in Somerdale

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear some cities are dry, but I'm glad to hear there are options.
I'm not sure where you live now but I noticed from your earlier posts that you're not up to speed on the geography.

Camden, Trenton, Wilmington, etc are all cities but when someone says they're "going to the city" they almost always mean Philadelphia. Everything else (that is not those 4 places) is considered the suburbs.

The suburbs are made up of either small towns called boroughs that were developed before WWII or larger townships (called townships) that were mostly developed after WWII. For the most part, the boroughs are going to be where you'll find neighborhoods where you can walk to shops and restaurants - although not all boroughs are of the same caliber when it comes to retail or restaurants.

There are rare exceptions to this rule. Westmont is a nice, walkable town but it's not a borough. It's one of three sections of Haddon Township.

Anyway, point is, it's usually just the boroughs that were founded by religious fanatics in the Victorian era that are dry - but it's no hard and fast rule. The current mayors and council of any of those towns could change the "dry" status whenever they wanted to. In NJ the state sets liquor laws but towns can always have stricter laws. The State does not issue liquor licenses. It's up to the individual town. So some towns decide to issue a bunch and a lot of towns decide to issue just one for a bottle shop.

For instance, Collingswood and Haddonfield are both dry but Westmont is between them and is not dry. It's actually pretty ridiculous. When I lived in Collingswood and wanted to go to one of the BYOBs I would have to walk 4 blocks to the liquor store in Westmont. Oaklyn is a borough that borders Collingswood and Westmont and has bars and liquor stores.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post

Anyway, point is, it's usually just the boroughs that were founded by religious fanatics in the Victorian era that are dry - but it's no hard and fast rule. The current mayors and council of any of those towns could change the "dry" status whenever they wanted to. In NJ the state sets liquor laws but towns can always have stricter laws. The State does not issue liquor licenses. It's up to the individual town. So some towns decide to issue a bunch and a lot of towns decide to issue just one for a bottle shop.

For instance, Collingswood and Haddonfield are both dry but Westmont is between them and is not dry. It's actually pretty ridiculous. When I lived in Collingswood and wanted to go to one of the BYOBs I would have to walk 4 blocks to the liquor store in Westmont. Oaklyn is a borough that borders Collingswood and Westmont and has bars and liquor stores.
You were right in saying I am not familiar with the area. Never been to NJ, let along South Jersey. That is weird to have dry cities right next to liquor friendly ones, but I guess that comes with the territory.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
You were right in saying I am not familiar with the area. Never been to NJ, let along South Jersey. That is weird to have dry cities right next to liquor friendly ones, but I guess that comes with the territory.
Haddonfield & Collingswood are not cities, they are boroughs. City does not mean the same as borough. They are different forms of government, & townships have different forms of government as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia