Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 PM

421 posts, read 834,471 times

Advertisements

I think Vineland could come back to life economically and recover from drug crime if the businesses at the corner of Delsea and Landis were cleaned up. Here are suggestions I strongly recommend:

1. The Sears should move to where Boscov's is at Cumberland Mall.

2. The Sears should be demolished for a Brunswick Zone XL (tricked out bowling alley/billiard hall/bar/laser tag establishment).

3. The whole Forman Mills/Harbor Freight Tools (used to be King's/Ames) shopping center behind Wawa should be torn down for a ShopRite (replacing the current one), to get rid of a very old, run down shopping center and have a more visible grocery store.

4. The Family Dollar next to Sears should be demolished for a new Rite Aid to replace the older Rite Aid (was Eckerd) across the street. I would prefer to see Family Dollar be kicked out of Vineland entirely, because it's such a low-end store chain. But perhaps they could "trade" spaces with Rite Aid and move to the current Rite Aid/former Eckerd building.

5. The already empty Rite Aid (closed when they bought Eckerd) on Landis should become a liquor store, but I have a "gourmet" liquor store in mind, with a lot of fine wines and possibly German chocolates and other goodies for example. But perhaps the owners of the existing liquor store on Delsea (I forget the name) could take on this effort, possibly replacing their current store with this one.

6. The Denny's should be replaced by a Bob Evans, so the restaurant won't be open 24 hours and attract seedy overnight elements. But I hope they keep the bar (or as they call it a cocktail lounge) open. I was wondering though... why does this Denny's have a bar but no others do? At least not in Greater Philly anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
I don't really see how much of that will do anything but improve the aesthetic. The main issue with Vineland is the crap school system. Anyone in town who gives a crap and can afford it sends their kids to Catholic school. Better businesses may attract business, but they won't attract residents, that's what the schools do.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM

10,443 posts, read 6,974,789 times
I don't know Vineland to well, but have driven through it many times. It's just a weird seedy area, with the best way to describe it is "Alabama in New Jersey". The only way to improve that area is the local Government offering incentives for businesses to move in for white collar jobs.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Nevertheless, wouldn't these ideas make the aesthetic much better? And do the town a favor by attracting a better crowd of people to spend time in the area?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Nevertheless, wouldn't these ideas make the aesthetic much better? And do the town a favor by attracting a better crowd of people to spend time in the area?
People who go to Vineland to shop do it for one of two reasons, if not both. Either it's the closest place for them to shop or they go for the discounted sales tax. It's a poor area. The biggest thing in Vineland is the plant that makes Brunswick Stew & canned chili. Many of the people in that area are Puerto Ricans who came as migrant laborers but they eventually decided to settle there.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,493 times
Boscov has the best largest anchor spot at Cumberland Mall and there is no Macy's there. Why should they give it up to Sears? Sears could always take over the Kmart site if it wants a better site near the mall. Both chains are co-owned.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 PM

Good question... OK I have a couple better plans. But the Kmart site most likely wouldn't work for Sears, unless they made it a Sears Outlet. It's too small to be a Sears department store, and the Sears "Essentials" stores in former Kmart buildings failed, such as in Marlton and Lawnside. Maybe, just MAYBE, a Sears could fit on that site if they demolished the Kmart and built both where it was and where its parking lot was, incorporating a parking garage below (or on top of) the Sears structure. But I would rather see one of these two plans happen: plan one, Sears trades with Boscov's, imagining Boscov's guts if not demolishes the current Sears, and after seeing ShopRite move to where Forman Mills is, the current ShopRite could become a Brunswick Zone XL. Plan two, I would like to see the whole Boscov's chain be bought by Texas chain Dillard's which is more upscale. In that scenario, most likely the Boscov's stores would be retooled if not renamed Dillard's. And most likely, poorer areas such as Vineland/Millville and Egg Harbor/Pleasantville close to Atlantic City, where the Shore Mall has a Boscov's but no other chain department stores, would see their Boscov's close and have nothing to do with Dillard's. So that would provide a good opportunity for Sears to perhaps gut if not demolish the Boscov's at Cumberland.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:20 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,493 times
The Shore Mall is outright ghetto (and vicinity), but Cumberland Mall while near lower income area isn't ghetto and is owned and operated by PREIT. Best Buy opened there in the lot some years ago which was a positive sign. Anyways lets see what happens to JCPenney.

If JCP has to close stores, I could see them closing all in SJ except CH and Deptford, and Boscov could hopefully upgrade from Shore Mall to Hamilton Mall.

I don't see Dillard's coming to Philly area/So NJ. They had the chance to go to popular Christiana Mall in Delaware but let it pass. Instead, the mall was redeveloped with Nordstrom and Target.

Last edited by avg12; 03-16-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM

The Macy's at Cherry Hill Mall has a Starbucks inside, which is pretty unique for a department store. But otherwise the store looks dumpy. It would be nice if JCPenney were to close at that mall just so Macy's could perhaps demolish the JCP, leading Sears to demolish the Macy's and rebuild. A Sears there would replace the Moorestown Mall branch. Then perhaps the Sears there could be torn down for a Boscov's, to replace the older one already at the mall. And in the end, perhaps the current Boscov's in Moorestown could one day become a better JCPenney?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
The Shore Mall is outright ghetto (and vicinity), but Cumberland Mall while near lower income area isn't ghetto and is owned and operated by PREIT. Best Buy opened there in the lot some years ago which was a positive sign. Anyways lets see what happens to JCPenney.

If JCP has to close stores, I could see them closing all in SJ except CH and Deptford, and Boscov could hopefully upgrade from Shore Mall to Hamilton Mall.

I don't see Dillard's coming to Philly area/So NJ. They had the chance to go to popular Christiana Mall in Delaware but let it pass. Instead, the mall was redeveloped with Nordstrom and Target.
I'm not sure who extends further north, Belk or Dillards, but if PREIT extended the right deal one or both might be willing to move into the market because they could sell most of the same merchandise that they are selling in NC & VA. I wouldn't think that they would move further north. That would require different clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia