Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 PM

125 posts, read 210,915 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My fiancee and I are getting married at the end of August in Collingswood, as most know it is a dry town. However, the restaurant we are having our wedding allows us to bring our own wine and beer for the reception. We are still new to this area, and really don't know the cheapest place to buy this in bulk.
Does anyone know of a beer/wine store that has great prices? I was thinking maybe Wegmans but I wasn't sure?
And does anyone have any recommendations on how much to actually buy? Our wedding will be about 45-50 people. And I would say most will drink.

Thanks so much for your help,
Kristin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 PM

421 posts, read 835,852 times
Does NJ have a law against bringing alcohol (at least in these large quantities) into NJ from other states? PA has such a law, but I was under the impression that was only to preserve business at the state stores. If the law allows, or even if not but if you are comfortable going into other states for this purpose, the liquor store attached to the BJs (owned by BJs) at their New Castle DE store is excellent. And I believe you are not required to be a BJs member to shop there but I am not sure. Also, the PLCB (Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board) has a wholesale wine/spirits store in Broomall PA which I would recommend, but they are forbidden to sell beer, and this store is in an industrial park and has very short hours. Just showing up and asking about a wedding order might seem odd. I think most customers of this store are small business owners who stock their bars from it. If you make a phone call to their store before ordering, that might help you make a good (or bad) first impression. I think there also is one of these stores in South Philadelphia on Washington Avenue but this store is in a rough area without easy parking. Unfortunately I am unsure of the number for any of these stores but you could probably search Google for the PLCB warehouse Broomall and for BJs in New Castle.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,069,961 times
If there is a Trader Joe's that sells beer and wine within a couple hours it would be worth the trip to pick up their wine and beer.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM

I never have personally been to a Trader Joes with alcoholic beverages (unless you count the Gerstel non-alcoholic beer and Ariel non-alcoholic wine sold at the PA/NJ/DE/MD stores) but I get the feeling a Trader Joes would not even have anything resembling wholesale quantities of alcohol at their stores.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,868 times
Wine Works on Rt 70 can get you what you need at better prices than Canals or Roger Wilco.

The Heritage winery in NJ makes a great table red and white. You could buy directly from them.

You also have Total Wine in Cherry Hill near the mall. It is in the shopping center with Sam Ash and a Chinese Buffet.

With Total Wine and Wine Works you can get wine, beer and spirits.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysable View Post
Hi all,
My fiancee and I are getting married at the end of August in Collingswood, as most know it is a dry town. However, the restaurant we are having our wedding allows us to bring our own wine and beer for the reception. We are still new to this area, and really don't know the cheapest place to buy this in bulk.
Does anyone know of a beer/wine store that has great prices? I was thinking maybe Wegmans but I wasn't sure?
And does anyone have any recommendations on how much to actually buy? Our wedding will be about 45-50 people. And I would say most will drink.

Thanks so much for your help,
Kristin
Trader Joe's is good, but too far. Go to Total Wine.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 PM

This is the number for the Broomall store: (610) 338-2280

Closed on weekends unfortunately.

This is the number for BJs in New Castle: (302) 324-8081 (you might have to specify liquor)

Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,898,805 times
Total Wine. Period

Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Why in the world would they go to PA or DE? NJ prices and selection are better than PA and even if they did get a good deal in DE they can only transport a small amount into NJ without a permit.

Do they really want to mess up their wedding and have to pay a bunch of fines or even jail if they happen to get caught?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Why in the world would they go to PA or DE? NJ prices and selection are better than PA and even if they did get a good deal in DE they can only transport a small amount into NJ without a permit.

Do they really want to mess up their wedding and have to pay a bunch of fines or even jail if they happen to get caught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia