Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times

Advertisements

Somewhat irrelevant, but I love how this document mentions the possibility of merging Merchantville with Cherry Hill and even goes far enough to say "Adding to Pennsauken and any option removing Merchantville from the Pennsauken School District would magnify the racial/ethnic disparity in the Pennsauken School District," then states that Cherry Hill does not think Merchantville would "be a good match" and is in turn seeing about Merchantville feeding into Haddon Township instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 PM

164 posts, read 433,087 times
I remember when I was house-hunting (for 14 months!) and went to Stratford, NJ to see some homes for sale. They were lovely and well maintained, but close to a busy road. The deal-buster, however, was when I drove onto the highway down the road from the development, there was a HUGE sign advertising "Live Nude Girls" . I thought to myself, "Now isn't this a lovely area to raise children!" and proceeded my house-hunting to the next town further south...

Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I grew up in Stratford, as did my Dad and my Grandmother before him. My Great Grandfather was a well respected leader in the town for some time in the early 1900s, and my family has a lot if history there.

It's sad to say, but I wouldn't want to live there now. I could have decided to take over my Grandmom's house for free when she died, but it's really not the Stratford I grew up in. I'm reminded of that fact whenever I go visit my parents, and it just saddens me.

I went to Sterling High in the 80s, when it was still one of the better schools. I hear that's not the case anymore. All along the White Horse Pike area, it looks downright scary today. Plus, it's so congested in that area now, it can take like 25 minutes to go somewhere a few miles away.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
I grew up in Stratford, NJ and it has declined in the last 15 years. I think it is because Lindewold has become the new ghetto of South Jersey! I lived on Evergreen Road right across the street from the shopping plaza. We had an A&P and then Shop-N- Bag. There were also smaller shops like a Dry Cleaners and a pizza place. In many ways it was like Mayberry. On the White Horse Pike was the Bradlees and other stores. It is sad to see it go down. It has so much potential. I moved to Ohio for graduate school at Ohio State and then moved to Chicago and other parts. When I moved back East to New York I did not even consider Stratford. If they want to make Stratford better, they need to expand on the hospital with departments that would generate revenue like geriatric services, maternity, emergency, etc centers. They could also partner with Rutgers University with an extension campus for sciences, medicine, math, nursing, etc. classes!!! So many students want to go to Rutgers but refuse to travel to Camden. There is so much open land near the hospital to build these facilities!!! This would create jobs for locals and attract an professional class or residents to the town. If I had about 50 to 100 million I'd start the project. I'd give scholarships to Stratford residents to attend the RU extension campus and build houses for the professors, doctors, nurses working in the new facilities. Also, I would build an upscale shopping plaza in the empty plaza on the White Horse Pike and across from SS Yellin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia