Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 AM

40 posts, read 132,587 times

Advertisements

Quick question since I read a lot of you live or were raised in south jersey.

My family is currently looking at moving for my job and we have 2 choices: Charlotte and Philadelphia.

My wife is totally, 100, no questions asked, set on having a new house. Which obviously gives Charlotte a HUGE leg up since you can have whatever you want for 325k or considerably less.

One of the very few areas near philly that comes close to that affordability (before taxes) is parts of South Jersey.

I'm raised on the other side of Philly and never really spent time in south jersey except the shore.

What are these areas like/ Vineland? Williamstown, Clayton?

There appear to be some (from the internet) very nice development. Just kinda wondering if they all **** hole towns - or are ending up like some of the nicer suburbs on the other side of philly.

I know a lot of these places have pretty good schools... what is shopping like? New like the developments? Are most people commuting into Philly for work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:19 AM

41 posts, read 248,914 times
Homepage try this

Last edited by JimboC; 11-13-2007 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM

222 posts, read 1,026,152 times
Stay away from vineland. A lot of people here talk about williamstown in a positive light but when we were looking down there, we weren't thrilled with it. There were a lot of newer developments with nice homes but the lots were typically very small. And the development typically backed up to a not-so-nice older area. The wife told me she didn't feel safe there so that was the end of williamstown for us.

We wound up in Woolwich.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM

691 posts, read 3,061,282 times
Stay away from Vineland. Williamstown/Washington Twp area is nice, however the commute to Philly would be a bear.

Woolwich Twp, Logan Twp, and Mullica Hill all have new construction and the commute to Philly wouldn't be AS bad. Not sure how much they are selling for tho.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM

333 posts, read 1,991,783 times
I grew up in Burlington County and really liked it as a kid....I have since moved away and get back to visit my parents a lot. There is a ton of shopping and good schools, I just can't handle the congestion. But that is because I have been away so long.

We are now moving back. We didn't look in Williamstown either, although some on here have said positive things about it. I think we got turned off by the schools there. We ended up in the Mullica Hill/Greenwich township area. High taxes, but a little more of a small town feel. A lot of new developments going in. Not a whole lot of shopping, but I am assuming it will come. Schools are very good. My husband will be commuting to Center City from there. It just seemed like a very family oriented town..at least I sure hope so since we close at the end of this month!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
Check out Haddonfield, Haddon Hts., Westmont, and Collingswood. Haddonfield is the nicest but also the most expensive, and all are extremely convenient to commute to Philadelphia, about 20 min.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM

267 posts, read 950,533 times
Also check out Cherry Hill (I'm biased ), Voorhees, Marlton, Moorestown, Medford, Mount Laurel.....

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Also check out Cherry Hill (I'm biased ), Voorhees, Marlton, Moorestown, Medford, Mount Laurel.....
I agree with Invertigo 100%. With Burlington County, however, prices begin to rise somewhat. No matter: out of the 21 counties in NJ, I rank Burlington #1, no contest. I know Cherry Hill is in Camden County, but the eastern reaches of the town border Evesham, which is the township Marlton is in.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I agree with Invertigo 100%. With Burlington County, however, prices begin to rise somewhat. No matter: out of the 21 counties in NJ, I rank Burlington #1, no contest. I know Cherry Hill is in Camden County, but the eastern reaches of the town border Evesham, which is the township Marlton is in.
it's funny how people have different tastes. after living in burlington county, i'd rank it towards the bottom of the 21! i'm just not a southwestern jersey fan in general though. back to your regularly scheduled advice...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it's funny how people have different tastes. after living in burlington county, i'd rank it towards the bottom of the 21! i'm just not a southwestern jersey fan in general though. back to your regularly scheduled advice...
Tahiti,

You mentioned you have family living near Willingboro. Is that where you lived? If so, that may explain your perception towards the county in general. Then again, I am in favor of rural areas over suburban and built up areas. That may explain our divergence in tastes. Central and Eastern Burlington county, the area of the county I really like, has towns such as Shamong, Vicentown, Southampton and Chatsworth, some of what I feel to be the best towns in the state. These areas are still in close proximity to blueberry and cranberry bogs. But, again, that's my preference, and that's the part of the county that appeals to me. The 130 corridor, conversely, does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia