Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 82,609 times

Advertisements

Hello-

We've been trying to move back to the Philly burbs from NYC and were really only considering the main line in PA because of schools and ease of commute to Center City. My husband is now looking at a job near the Navy Yard as opposed to Center City. I know nothing about the Jersey side of Philly. We are looking for excellent schools and short commute to both Center City (for me) and the Navy Yard (for hubs). We also appreciate a somewhat vibrant downtown, a community where the residents seem to care what's going on and parks.

From what I've gathered online, Haddonfield seems to fit the bill. I see that the homes are pricier and the taxes are much higher than surrounding areas. We are ok with those costs. But if there is another area that would be just as good we'd love to hear about it. I'd love some opinions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtoe View Post
Hello-

We've been trying to move back to the Philly burbs from NYC and were really only considering the main line in PA because of schools and ease of commute to Center City. My husband is now looking at a job near the Navy Yard as opposed to Center City. I know nothing about the Jersey side of Philly. We are looking for excellent schools and short commute to both Center City (for me) and the Navy Yard (for hubs). We also appreciate a somewhat vibrant downtown, a community where the residents seem to care what's going on and parks.

From what I've gathered online, Haddonfield seems to fit the bill. I see that the homes are pricier and the taxes are much higher than surrounding areas. We are ok with those costs. But if there is another area that would be just as good we'd love to hear about it. I'd love some opinions!!
You could also look at Erlton south of Rt 70 & Barclay Farm & Hunt Tract in Cherry Hill. Some people also like Haddon Heights. School rankings would be Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, then Haddon Heights.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:05 PM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
Haddonfield is perfect for you and your husband. The only downside is its lack of diversity. It is still a very waspy town and still one of the best in South Jersey. Look for houses on the southside so your husband will have a quicker commute via I295

Old 11-04-2014, 01:14 PM

23 posts, read 97,526 times
Haddonfield is beautiful and if you're financially a fit, it could be perfect for you. The possible cons would be that there is very little diversity and oodles of money. I have a friend who moved there from Cherry Hill for the schools. She said if you're a working mom, you're in the minority and it's hard to make friends. Most of the moms go to pilates and coffee together during school hours. And, not only is everyone white, everyone is blond with blue eyes. There is a lot of "keeping up with the Jones'" in town apparently. That may or may not be an issue for you. Moorestown is similar.

For the above reasons, we've been looking in Cherry Hill. The schools are comparable but there is no town center. It's suburban sprawl but each development seems to have an elementary school and at least one swim club. Seems very family oriented. Cherry Hill is HUGE. The east side is a little nicer IMO. It adds to the commute but worth it in my book.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:44 PM

I would appreciate a little diversity, especially in the schools for our kids. We are coming from an area where we are actually a minority even though we are as white as they come. And becoming a stay at home pilates mom is definitely not in the cards for me (although it sounds magical!). However, I think quality of schools and short commute (equating to more time with our kids) trumps all.

I will definitely take a look at Cherry Hill and Haddon Heights as well. Thanks for the insight!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Haddonfield is perfect for you and your husband. The only downside is its lack of diversity. It is still a very waspy town and still one of the best in South Jersey. Look for houses on the southside so your husband will have a quicker commute via I295
White, yes; "very Waspy," no, though it is probably the Waspiest town in South Jersey. Almost 2/3 of the borough is of Irish/Italian/Polish ancestry, and it's probably 10% Jewish on top of that. Either way, it's a gorgeous town with a charming, walkable main street. Haddon Heights is just as white, but the schools are more diverse (both racially and socio-economically) by virtue of sending/receiving relationships with Barrington and Lawnside.

OP: either the Main Line or Haddonfield could be fine for your needs, depending on your specific priorities, which aren't yet entirely clear. I recommend filling out this form:
Quote:
To help the members of the Philly forum guide you more quickly towards a compatible neighborhood and lifestyle, here are "just a few" starter questions to choose from.

(Thanks to solibs for "borrowing" this from another forum.)

When are you moving?
Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working?
Have you been here yet?

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Coke or Pepsi?

Information

Map of where people are moving to and from http://www.forbes.com/special-report...migration.html

Neighborhood maps of Philadelphia, Thanks to Summersm343 - Philadelphia Neighborhood Map

tourist/historic site map: Map of Historic Philadelphia and Waterfront

Adding rental information: Philadelphia Apartments for Rent | 4 Walls in Philly

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 11-04-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Thanks ElijahAstin! Here goes...

When are you moving? Hopefully by March, depending on husband's job.
Where are you coming from? NYC.
Why are you moving? Better quality of life, schools (HUGE for us), grass for kids, space, family in the area (Collegeville).
Where will you be working? Me, Center City. My husband is interviewing for a job that would be at the Navy Yard.
Have you been here yet? Grew up in Montgomery County (Lansdale), lived in Center City for several years but have been in NYC since 2005. Somewhat familiar with PA burbs but not at all familiar with NJ burbs.

Will you buy or rent? Hope to buy but want to buy the home we will raise our kids in so if we can't find something we love, we will rent for a year.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, minimum 4BR 2 BA, $800K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Depends on job location. If my husband finds work at the Navy Yard, NJ seems much more convenient (unless there's a convenient suburb in PA with great schools that I don't know about??). If he finds work in CC or Consh, then PA is better because we would be closer to my family in Collegeville. However, not willing to have a daily commute over an hour for myself or my husband just to be near family.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 2 kids (toddler and infant)
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No, but would like to get a dog at some point
Do you want or need a yard? YES
Are you keeping a car? Yes, 2.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm home within close proximity to bustling activity, or at least the mid aged version of "bustling activity".

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - Yes, no farther than 30 minutes each way
Shopping - Would like to be near a downtown area, but more for the restaurants than the shopping.
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Yes, within a few miles, doesn't need to be walkable.
Nightlife - Not going clubbing these days, but would like to be within a few miles of a downtown with restaurants and pubs.
Train or subway stations - Yes, since I'll be working right next to suburban station, trains will be more convenient than driving.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? - Diverse would be ideal, but great schools, a yard and a nice downtown trump diversity.

Coke or Pepsi? I'll be adding enough Jack that it won't matter.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:47 PM
MYP

19 posts, read 51,577 times
Haddonfield or Moorestown are both great for your needs Good luck!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:13 PM

110 posts, read 175,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Our neighborhoods are fine the way they are. If you want a multiculty neighborhood, Cherry Hill is the place.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:24 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
Our neighborhoods are fine the way they are. If you want a multiculty neighborhood, Cherry Hill is the place.
:| (and CH isn't even all that "multiculty").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia