Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times

Advertisements

To me, the border of SJ follows the Burlington County line down from Bordentown to Woodland/Bass River. At this point, it turns straight east roughly where the Burlco border is directly west of the northern tip of LBI. The NJ.com map bears this out as well, with people in Stafford and Ocean Twps claiming SJ by a large majority, but Lacey Twp not so much. NY and NNJers may occupy large parts of LBI but they haven't fully annexed it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 11:18 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I don't really don't give a hot damn who follows the Giants or the Eagles, or which news channel they watch. Florida is not a northern state simply because many thousands of northerners have retired there.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:17 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Years ago when I lived in Plainfield - Union County - it was considered "North Jersey" but the independent town of South Plainfield - Somerset County - just a mile down the road was considered "Central Jersey."

Go figure.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:22 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Years ago when I lived in Plainfield - Union County - it was considered "North Jersey" but the independent town of South Plainfield - Somerset County - just a mile down the road was considered "Central Jersey."

Go figure.
Hunterdon and Somerset are what makes up "Central Jersey". Its the hills.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM

5,340 posts, read 4,425,953 times
Yes, I'm bringing this old thread back.

Having been born in Cape May County, IMHO anything north of Atlantic City is North Jersey. Sometimes, I wish that no one knew that Cape May County exists.

OR

One can look at the line of demarcation as where the locals change the name of the tourists Bennies or Shoobies.

#wegetourtownsbacksoon
#exitzero
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:57 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,655 times
Central starts around Bordentown. Lawrenceville area Wal-Mart sells Giants and Eagles apparel. Folks from Lawrenceville and Princeton consider themselves NY fans. The train gets one to NYC in about an hour. Those areas, therefore, are not 'South' Jersey.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:03 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times
South jersey starts south of raritan bay.

north/ south NJ defined in div of wildlfe hnting trapping compendium... north of 287east to rt 1 to trenton is north and below that, south.

Too many different definitions, so pick one that suites you.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM

56 posts, read 91,688 times
I would say South Jersey starts from Exit 7 on the Turnpike.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
South Jersey:

Burlington County
Camden County
Gloucester County
Salem County
Cumberland County
Cape May County
Atlantic County

Anywhere else = not South Jersey.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
South Jersey:

Burlington County
Camden County
Gloucester County
Salem County
Cumberland County
Cape May County
Atlantic County

Anywhere else = not South Jersey.
I'd also throw in most of Ocean County, as much of it is south or directly east of Philadelphia (and even a small portion below the Mason-Dixon line!) Beach Haven is on the same latitude as Westminster, MD. I'd draw the line from Seaside Heights to Toms River to Fort Dix to Bordentown (just past exit 7 heading north on the Turnpike). I'm still surprised that there isn't an expressway between around Exit 4 of the Turnpike and out to around exit 63 of the Parkway in Stafford Township. Sure, development would be restricted due to the Pine Barrens it would go through, but it could provide better access towards visiting it and bridge the gap between the A.C. Expressway and 195 for those heading to the shore. This corridor would solidly be in the northern portion of South Jersey. South Jersey is quite diverse with over half of the shore, rural areas and farm towns near the Delaware Bay, the Philly suburbs, and the Pine Barrens, just like how North Jersey has the urban/suburban/exurban rings distinct from Manhattan and the rural far Northwest with Appalachian foothills and farms and some lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia