Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:17 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,888 times

Advertisements

Lidl supermarket proposed for Washington Township (Turnersville)

Lidl Supermarket Proposed for Washington Township | 42 Free Way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 12:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 786,892 times
German supermarket making debut in U.S., pursuing N.J. locations | NJ.com

Looks like they are coming to the Cumberland Co areas. (Millville,Vineland,Bridgeton) They are planning to build one in Millville in the next few years.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 PM

161 posts, read 344,627 times
Lidl is currently in the process of quietly buying up land and going through the the process of receiving all the necessary approvals to build. Nothing is being built yet. They plan to acquire all their land and have all approvals ready, then blitz the market with stores by 2018.

The only indications we have of sites they are choosing, is information from various public planning board meetings, as posted above.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
Seems that Lidl has started with the construction of a third distribution center:

Mattix on Matters: Lidl grocery distribution center prepares site | Business | cecildaily.com

The other two distribution centers will be located in Mebane (NC) and near Fredericksburg (VA).

Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM

186 posts, read 427,580 times
I don't know, I grew up in South Jersey and live there now and have a hard time believing they (Lidl) will survive. I didn't read all the posts but South Jersey counties are pretty saturated with big grocery stores to serve all needs, with just a few names able to dominate the market. Also, people LOVE their specialty/Italian grocers/bakers as well, and these have been popping up all over with a lot of success.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:09 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
I don't know, I grew up in South Jersey and live there now and have a hard time believing they (Lidl) will survive. I didn't read all the posts but South Jersey counties are pretty saturated with big grocery stores to serve all needs, with just a few names able to dominate the market. Also, people LOVE their specialty/Italian grocers/bakers as well, and these have been popping up all over with a lot of success.

I don't know how Aldi is doing in this area. Lidl is in many ways rather similar to Aldi. Lidl is the largest grocery retailer in Europe and it's among the big players the fastest growing one. They are very competitive and aggressive. Very efficient in what they are doing. Family owned and able to invest all their profits into further improvements. I think this is an important competitive advantage. I would think that offering good quality products at very low prices is always a winning formula. Especially when they are offered in a nicer shopping environment (compared to Aldi).

Here are some glimpse in a newly build Lidl store in Lithuania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRsoDSCRqgY

I think it's quite nice, considering that this is a low-cost limited assortment grocery retailer.

Lidl has improved strongly in the last couple of years. In Germany, Aldi (Süd) was always seen as the star amongst the discount grocery retailers, but this position is now challenged by Lidl.

When they don't make big mistakes, they (Lidl) will succeed in the U.S. One problem I could think of, they seem to expand too rapidly in the U.S. I thought they would start with just one distribution center and maybe 50-100 stores. Now they start with at least 3 distribution centers, most likely that they will start the construction of a fourth and fifth distribution center (one in Georgia and one in western Pennsylvania) before 2018. They could get in trouble with keeping their shelves stocked and with the training of all the needed employees.

I don't know about the grocery chain landscape in South Jersey, but when even a grocery chain like Save-a-lot can stay in business, than Lidl will all the more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia