Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 14,775 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are currently renting in Cherry Hill east and absolutely love it here.
Two kids : 5 and 7 yr old currently going to a public elementary school.

Its time for us to buy a house. We are confused between Cherry Hill vs Voorhees.

In the range we are looking, Voorhees seems to have newer houses and communities, taxes look same, our only concern is the High school. We have heard good things about Cherry Hill High school east. Not sure about,eastern high. Also, sounds like Cherry Hill is more desirable.

We are considering between buying a house in Voorhees vs building one in Cherry Hill. It looks like it will be easier to find a recent construction in Voorhees.

Would be odd to think that we can probably move to Cherry Hill later once kids are in high school. May be by then we will get more idea about Eastern High too, which looks like is picking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 08:42 AM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times
They are very similar towns. Cherry Hill is older as far as developing goes, built mostly during the 1960s and 1970s, like the second wave of car-dependend suburbs, after all the Levittowns were built post WWII. Voorhees, as well as neighboring Evesham (Marlton) and Mt. Laurel, was built mostly during the 1980s and 1990s. Cherry Hill ran out of land circa 1980 so then they just started branching into neighboring towns past it for new construction. CH is a larger town than the others mentioned in terms of territory so it has a population of over 70,000 people, might just be the largest suburb in South Jersey. Today though I think it is one of those towns that is staying afloat off of its name. CH HS East always seems to have this incredible rep, but I doubt West is substantially worse. That side of town is close to some very undesirable areas and the mall there is very ghetto now in terms of clientele.

Voorhees has newer construction in most areas, but nobody goes out of the way to live in the side of town by the Town Center (formerly Echelon Mall) which is decidedly lower middle/upper working class and not entirely dissimilar to areas further down that way like Lindenwold, Lawnside, Berlin and Somerdale. Overall Voorhees is pretty decent but some sections are better than others. Eastern Regional High also gets kids from Berlin and Gibbsboro, which are decaying blue collar neighborhoods, but Voorhees is the largest element that feeds into it. I do not think it is a bad school, even if it is a bit diverse and mixed. I know people who graduated from this school and they are doing very well.

For long term investment I would go with Voorhees because the property taxes are definitely lower and the schools are more likely to improve and the buildings are certainly in better shape. I have a friend from Philadelphia who worked a fair amount of jobs in both PA and South Jersey over the years, including the big movie theater across Rt 38 from the CH Mall, knows the whole Philly metro like the back of his hand. Coming from PA he always felt the area was slighly overrated and I will not argue with him on that. He also said CH's demographics were changing, he said it was not for the better in his opinion.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:23 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
CH East VS Voorhees.

The two towns are very similar. As far as HS goes, Eastern is a regional school. It doesn't have just the kids from Voorhees. Don't go by just the overall rating of the two school. The important factor is how the two school meet the needs of your child. At 5 and 7, that's very difficult to tell. It's much easier once your child are closer to middle school (gives you an idea of which directions s/he is heading toward academically). The social aspect of it.. that's another whole different story. I know parents that would rather send their kids to Bishop Eustace because they don't feel their kids will fit into such large school.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:55 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
there's a comment about eastern regional here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ey-thread.html

Old 03-06-2016, 04:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docrad View Post
Hi

We are currently renting in Cherry Hill east and absolutely love it here.
Two kids : 5 and 7 yr old currently going to a public elementary school.

Its time for us to buy a house. We are confused between Cherry Hill vs Voorhees.

In the range we are looking, Voorhees seems to have newer houses and communities, taxes look same, our only concern is the High school. We have heard good things about Cherry Hill High school east. Not sure about,eastern high. Also, sounds like Cherry Hill is more desirable.

We are considering between buying a house in Voorhees vs building one in Cherry Hill. It looks like it will be easier to find a recent construction in Voorhees.

Would be odd to think that we can probably move to Cherry Hill later once kids are in high school. May be by then we will get more idea about Eastern High too, which looks like is picking up.
Find a house in Cherry Hill that needs updating. Make it your own.

Building methods have changed. There are a lot of well made houses in Cherry Hill. Look in Barclays Farm. It's possible that you could get a house from an original owner, or their heirs.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:58 AM

75 posts, read 110,289 times
My wife and I moved to Barclay Farm in Cherry Hill just over a year ago. Our house is very well made, and the elderly couple we bought it from were only the second owners. The houses were built around 1960 by Robert Scarborough. We couldn't be happier with our neighbors and the feel of the neighborhood. It's quiet and safe and definitely family-oriented. The elementary school, A. Russell Knight, is rated 8/10 on Greatschools.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
My wife and I moved to Barclay Farm in Cherry Hill just over a year ago. Our house is very well made, and the elderly couple we bought it from were only the second owners. The houses were built around 1960 by Robert Scarborough. We couldn't be happier with our neighbors and the feel of the neighborhood. It's quiet and safe and definitely family-oriented. The elementary school, A. Russell Knight, is rated 8/10 on Greatschools.
Bob Scarborough had a reputation for being the best builder in town.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:06 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,201 times
I would choose Cherry Hill over Voorhees as I think it's just a better area all-around. It's more conveniently located, closer to Philly, a larger variety of dining and shopping options, the best public library anywhere.

I would echo the sentiments about the Barclay Farm development. My best friend lives there and it is a very nice, pretty, well-kept neighborhood with solid, well-built, attractive houses. I would rather buy a house in Barclay than something in Voorhees built in the 1980s or 1990s. Generally speaking, houses were built more solidly in 1960 than in those later decades.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I would choose Cherry Hill over Voorhees as I think it's just a better area all-around. It's more conveniently located, closer to Philly, a larger variety of dining and shopping options, the best public library anywhere.

I would echo the sentiments about the Barclay Farm development. My best friend lives there and it is a very nice, pretty, well-kept neighborhood with solid, well-built, attractive houses. I would rather buy a house in Barclay than something in Voorhees built in the 1980s or 1990s. Generally speaking, houses were built more solidly in 1960 than in those later decades.
Scarborough combined old & new building techniques. His houses in Barclay were the best built even in the 60s.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:28 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post

they share a border. there's a patco stop in voorhees. there are plenty of supermarkets, pharmacies, restaurants and everything else they'll need daily, weekly or monthly. voorhees also has the big, shiny (almost) new hospital. children's hospital of philadelphia has a clinic there. it's also next to marlton which isn't too shabby.

voorhees isn't further from philly, it's closer to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia