Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times

Advertisements

my son and his fiancee are planning to get their first apartment in the spring. What areas in Mt. Laurel/Marlton are affordable yet nice. He said something about avoiding 'section 8' homes - which I believe are like the areas in Mt. laurel near "willow turn" which seems to be where all the crime comes from. They are willing to go to around $1500 - $1600 a month. Also - has anyone ever 'negotiated' rent price? My daughter in Boulder, CO negotiated her apartment price to include two free months per year. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:24 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I wouldn't live near Rt. 38. I know that there are some pretty nasty apartment buildings in Lumberton just off of 38. As far as I know, most places in Mount Laurel and Marlton are decent or nice.

My husband and I rented in Marlton, Kings Grant, in the late '90s and early 2000s. That's a nice neighborhood. I know someone who owns a townhouse just off of Old Marlton Pike just west of Rt. 73. Marlton Meeting Condominiums has some rentals.

That's all I've got. I've never rented an apartment there.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Ramblewood is supposed to be nice, in Mt. Laurel. And Allison in Marlton. Maple Shade in that area has quite a few that are decent. I looked at Village of Stoney Run, Ryan's Run and Pickwick about 6 years ago and they all seemed fine, similar to where I live now in PA. I ended up a little further south at a place in Barrington where I lived with my now ex-g/f for four years. They are all very close to the Rt. 73, 38 and 41 (Kings Hwy) intersections. Just avoid Fox Meadow, they don't call it "Fox Ghetto" for no reason.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Is there a particular reason why they are looking just at Marlton and Mt. Laurel? Where will they be working? What kind of living environment do they like? There could be other towns out there that would work as well or better for them.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:59 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
There isn't really section 8 homes. There are affordable housing development in the area.

I agree with the recommendation to stay away from RT 38 and heard about the complex in Lumberton.. stay way from there. There is probably more apartment complex in Evesham than Mt. laurel. Unless your son is really drawn to some of the offering that apartment complex offer (gym facilities, pool, etc..) he may want to look at townhouse or condo. $1400-$1600 will get him about 1500sqft.

As far a negotiation on the rent, I currently have a rental listed and a lot of applicant are trying to negotiate the rent. Maybe it's because I a private landlord or that is just the norm these days. In any case, I don't get offended and it never hurt to ask.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Is there a particular reason why they are looking just at Marlton and Mt. Laurel? Where will they be working? What kind of living environment do they like? There could be other towns out there that would work as well or better for them.
My future daughter in law is a PT and works in Hamilton, near Princeton; My son works in the Tower at Philly airport. So halfway between for both of them is the Marlton/Mt Laurel area.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
My future daughter in law is a PT and works in Hamilton, near Princeton; My son works in the Tower at Philly airport. So halfway between for both of them is the Marlton/Mt Laurel area.
Fair enough. Mt. Laurel is probably the better choice then because it is closer to I-295 than Marlton is. It actually passes through Mt. Laurel. With Marlton you will spend more time on 73 to get to 295, and especially during rush hour, you want to minimize your time on 73 as much as you can. As was already mentioned, avoid Fox Meadow. Elsewhere in Mt. Laurel should be fine for the most part.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I'd look in Moorestown and Delran, too.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:01 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Mt. Laurel is probably the better choice then because it is closer to I-295 than Marlton is. It actually passes through Mt. Laurel. With Marlton you will spend more time on 73 to get to 295, and especially during rush hour, you want to minimize your time on 73 as much as you can. As was already mentioned, avoid Fox Meadow. Elsewhere in Mt. Laurel should be fine for the most part.

Depending on which part of Marlton, one can get onto 295 via RT70 exit. Overall, I agree that there a quite a few places in Mount laurel that will get you right on 295 by the Moorestown exit.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I lived in Fox Meadow back in the early 70's when it was called Spring Hill Apartments and believe me, it was BAD even back then!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia