Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,270 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for reading.

I am currently renting in Haddon Township and am considering trying to purchase a house (1200sqft+, 3/1, 300k budget) in the next year or so preferably in Collingswood or Haddon Township. The benefits I see in this area are (but not necessarily in many surrounding towns):

-Nice neighborhoods
-Public transportation to Philly ~30m
-Walkable, desirable downtown
-Very popular area

The thing is, most friends and family are in Northern Jersey so I'm not sure if purchasing here is wise for me. I am wondering, assuming the job situation worked out in NNJ/NYC, how much would a starter house with the above characteristics go for (substituting 1hr commute to NYC for example)? I'd like to figure out what my budget would need to be when considering potential salaries in that area. Does anyone know of any "Collingswood equivalent" towns in NNJ that'd serve as a comparison? I appreciate the help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 08:29 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
The closest equivalent in North Jersey given your bulletpoints is probably Rutherford. A house like what you suggested is going to be around $500K.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,500 times
Check out Crawford or Westfield. Maybe Montclair

Old 01-07-2021, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,270 times
Thanks, will check these areas out. Anyone have any other ideas or comments?

Old 01-09-2021, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,500 times
Not Crawford I meant Cranford, but a Collingswood type of neighborhood is easily gonna cost you 450k.

Trust me I said the same thing. I commute 2 hrs one way from Delran to NYC. I can’t see myself spending over 450-500k on a home and carrying a $3,000 mortgage. Good luck

Old 01-10-2021, 06:41 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Southerns say people from the North "Live to Work" while they "Work to Live"!! Those 4-5 hr. daily commutes get old very fast. People in the 70's 80's used to do that commute from Barnegat to NYC until it started to affect their family life. We saw many families break up over the commuting issue. Think about staying in So. NJ & work in Philly. You can always visit friends and family in No. NJ on vacations or Holidays.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:38 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Southerns say people from the North "Live to Work" while they "Work to Live"!! Those 4-5 hr. daily commutes get old very fast. People in the 70's 80's used to do that commute from Barnegat to NYC until it started to affect their family life. We saw many families break up over the commuting issue. Think about staying in So. NJ & work in Philly. You can always visit friends and family in No. NJ on vacations or Holidays.
I wasn't from that area and remember asking locals about the road construction and new housing developments. When I was told that people were buying homes in Manahawkin and planning to drive to Northern New Jersey for work I was completely floored. That was a hell that I'd never contemplated. Perhaps that information wasn't quite accurate, but that didn't sound good. That was in the 1970s when I lived in PA and didn't know that people had to spend serious amounts of time getting to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia