Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 03:44 PM

21 posts, read 23,394 times

Advertisements

Hey - I'm possibly relocating to South Jersey - researching public schools.
Is there notable drug use in the public schools in Moorestown or Medford?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 06:20 AM

76 posts, read 106,928 times
There is drug use in every high school. The richer students have access to cash. You won't be able to avoid it.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:48 PM

21 posts, read 23,394 times
OK but I'm not asking about every school in the United States. That is what I am trying to avoid.
My question is whether there is NOTABLE drug use in the public schools in Moorestown or Medford?
Is there SIGNIFICANT drug use in those schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjack2000 View Post
There is drug use in every high school. The richer students have access to cash. You won't be able to avoid it.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Warlock View Post
OK but I'm not asking about every school in the United States. That is what I am trying to avoid.
My question is whether there is NOTABLE drug use in the public schools in Moorestown or Medford?
Is there SIGNIFICANT drug use in those schools.

I would think the answer to this question is "no." Notable is a matter of perception. Certain kids are fairly obvious to tell that they are drug users, so they really stick out. But are they a significant percentage of the overall student body? No.

These are upper middle class, white collar towns. If you are thinking they are the kind of place where you will see a bunch of students strung out on opioids, no, they are not that kind of place. Weed is probably most common.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:00 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I would think the answer to this question is "no." Notable is a matter of perception. Certain kids are fairly obvious to tell that they are drug users, so they really stick out. But are they a significant percentage of the overall student body? No.

These are upper middle class, white collar towns. If you are thinking they are the kind of place where you will see a bunch of students strung out on opioids, no, they are not that kind of place. Weed is probably most common.

Kids these days use drugs (especially alcohol) way less than when I was in high school in the 90s and we used drugs way less than the kids in the 80s.

But then again, kids these days are less likely to consider weed a drug that's any better or worse than alcohol (for a developing brain it definitely is).

But are a lot of kids at Moorestown High gonna be stoners? No.

I went to a high school at the Shore (one of the better ones), my friends have kids in high school there and in Burlington Co., my nephew is in high school in Camden Co. I have kids in Orange County public schools here in Florida and have friends and family with kids in other local schools. The situation with drugs and alcohol is way better than it used to be. Here, there, everywhere. The idea that elite, public high schools in New Jersey are going to be awash in drug culture just doesn't really work.

The bigger problems in schools these days that wasn't a problem when I was a kid is cyber-bullying, early childhood access to social media (talk about rotting your brain), and fighting and other disruptive behavior in classrooms that the school administrators are very slow to punish.

I have a kid in a public magnet school. You'd think that it would be 3 strikes and you're bounced to your local, neighborhood school. Nope. The kids get 9 strikes - the whole damn inning.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:29 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I am a product of the Medford school systems. I cannot speak for today, but 20+ years ago I'd anecdotally say the situation was low. For Highschool there was the existence of alcohol, weed, smoking in the bathrooms as probably all schools/teens have struggles with but it wasn't bad or something that the school was known for concern of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: