Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,190,344 times

Advertisements

We are getting our house painted within a few days and I am wondering which paint would be the best option - both in terms of durability and environment/kid friendly. I have heard about Benjamin Moore Natura but not sure if it is worth the extra price? What is all the hype about zero VOCs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 04:17 AM

367 posts, read 960,447 times
I've used Natura when the customer demanded it or required it because of some allergic condition, real or imaginary. It's not a quality material in terms of hide, levelling, or ease of application and I deem it to be inferior to the Regal, Ben, and Aura lines of Moore paints. It's sole claim to fame is the zero VOC factor. The zero VOC factor is largely hype BTW, and all the paint companies are getting on the "green" bandwagon more to appeal to a certain market segment than any other reason.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:38 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
That is a ridiculous response, of course low VOC is not "hype". It means that the toxins that are present after the paint is applied to the walls and emitted for several days, weeks or years, will be greatly diminished. Ever notice everyone and their mother has cancer these days? This wasn't the case when I was growing up in the 70's. That is because there are toxins in absolutely everything these days, and the more chemicals you ingest the less your body can deal with the overload. So you minimize where possible, like in your own home. PAY MORE, it is WORTH YOUR HEALTH.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
I happen to agree with DFB everything today is environment scaresmenship scare the people enough and they will spend the bucks to be safe. Just like the Radon scam, scare the people enough with the threat of Radon and they will spend the $2,000 to re mediate the radon from your home. Ever notice the Radon testing company just happens to know a company that can re mediate. Has anybody ever read in the obituary that so and so died from Radon Cancer? We are all being duped under the threat of being exposed to Cancer causing toxins.Anybody ever heard of so and so dying from brain Cancer caused by too much cell phone use?
When will these toxin scare tactics ever end?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:48 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
So what is causing all of this cancer then? You think our bodies can just continuously ingest more and more chemicals and toxins and it simply has no effect on the body? I guess air pollution doesn't cause global warming either. Common sense will guide you on this one. If you have any, you will likely determine that unnatural toxins and chemicals not meant to be warehoused in the body will cause harm to the body, and obviously cancer is one of the expected outcomes. How can you expect the body to work optimally under toxic conditions?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,657,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anybody ever heard of so and so dying from brain Cancer caused by too much cell phone use? When will these toxin scare tactics ever end?
Scientist are finding a connection between the waves emitted by cell phones or police radar guns to cancer. No they don't say "they have cancer due to their cells phones or radar guns". That is absurd. They have found those who are constantly on their cell phones have a higher incidence of brain cancer. Police who place their radar guns on their laps while waiting for a speeder, have a higher incidence of testicular cancer.

I agree with quelinda. Our bodies cells mutate and create cancer cells every day. It is our immune system that fight the cancer cells. The more toxins, poisons your body has to fight off, the more you give cancer cells a chance to take over.

You know you have walked into a room that has been freshly painted for several days. The smell is overwhelming. Those are the chemicals being emitted from the paint. Professional painters have a higher incident of cancer. Twenty percent higher for a broad spectrum of cancers and 40% higher for lung cancer compared to the general public. Why do you think that is or do you think that is hype too?

Maybe somethings are hype, but why take the chance? Maybe do some research on the health issues due to the chemicals in paint. Make an educated decision, not on someones opinion that this all hype.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,657,707 times
The following website is quoted as stating paints with VOC can emit toxic chemcials for 6 months:

http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules...?articleId=146

Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
That is a ridiculous response....
I guess in your world accurate equates to ridiculous if it doesn't fit your preconceived notions. I derived great solace from both your posts in that they made me realize that the sum total of your "knowledge" comes solely from an emotional response to a challenge to one of the sacred cows of liberalism and not from any scientific knowledge or experience. I've been in the business a lot of years and can guarantee that I have a lot more experience and have done a lot more research into the topic than you ever will. My post was accurate and stands on its own merit with anyone who actually has a clue.
Good luck to you.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
The following website is quoted as stating paints with VOC can emit toxic chemcials for 6 months:

http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules...?articleId=146
If it's on the internet it must be true, right? Look long enough and you can find a website that will tell you that chickens have lips. The site you found is selling a service and is, therefore, hardly unbiased. Nice try, though.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,512 times
We used the Freshaire paint that Home Depot sells (zero VOC) and were very happy with it. The price was more but we bought 3 cans of paint to paint 3 rooms--hardly enough to break the bank. My five-year-old slept in his freshly painted room the day after we painted it--no fumes.

Here's a link to a website discussing the dangers of volatile organic compounds. I hope the Center for Disease Control is a reputable source:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/clusters/fal...ossary-VOC.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: