Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
No doubt some very nice areas there but what about considering Middlesex County since work will be in Woodbridge?
Yup, Middlesex County is where I'm at too. Very convenient and close to all the major highways - Turnpike, Pkwy, 1, 9, 287, 440 etc. Landlocked in Somerset County in comparison. Morris is a little better depending on where, but IMO isn't really worth it to get to Woodbridge.

From my place in North Brunswick, I can make it to Woodbridge Mall in about 20 minutes. I get on Rt 1 north from Georges Rd/Rt 171 and then get off at Woodbridge Ave east/CR 514 and just take that all the way out. You hit no lights on this stretch of Rt 1 and I've never seen Woodbridge Ave get backed up all that badly either. Where exactly in Woodbridge will you be working. I know the area well and could probably give you a decent route.

In Old Bridge there's St. Thomas the Apostle which I think covers all grades. Don't quote me on it though. As far as neighborhoods go I know the whole county pretty well and would be more than happy to answer any questions. Hardly anything in the county is "unsafe" but certainly some areas are more desirable than others. Since you won't be using public schools then you don't necessarily need an area with good public education.

Honestly, why not look in Woodbridge? It's safe enough and probably has best bang for your buck in the area. Only problem is it's very crowded.

Last edited by Whoelsebutcharles; 07-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Catholic School bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Yup, Middlesex County is where I'm at too. Very convenient and close to all the major highways - Turnpike, Pkwy, 1, 9, 287, 440 etc. Landlocked in Somerset County in comparison. Morris is a little better depending on where, but IMO isn't really worth it to get to Woodbridge.

From my place in North Brunswick, I can make it to Woodbridge Mall in about 20 minutes. I get on Rt 1 north from Georges Rd/Rt 171 and then get off at Woodbridge Ave east/CR 514 and just take that all the way out. You hit no lights on this stretch of Rt 1 and I've never seen Woodbridge Ave get backed up all that badly either. Where exactly in Woodbridge will you be working. I know the area well and could probably give you a decent route.
I assume your comment is a negative to Somerset county. What I don't get is why? Someone in Bridgewater is no more landlocked than you in NB. What do county lines have to do with that?

I personally would choose Som/Mor over Middlesex County for the open space, less congestion and better scenery in general. The commute to Woodbridge isn't that bad. It all depends on what OP is looking for.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I assume your comment is a negative to Somerset county. What I don't get is why? Someone in Bridgewater is no more landlocked than you in NB. What do county lines have to do with that?

I personally would choose Som/Mor over Middlesex County for the open space, less congestion and better scenery in general. The commute to Woodbridge isn't that bad. It all depends on what OP is looking for.
Slave to 287 from Bridgewater, and you'll sit in that traffic in Piscataway/Edison area. Southern Middlesex areas have the open space, less congestion and the scenery. If that's what the OP wants then they could also look in my area. Just giving options. Didn't mean to make it sound like a negative comment to Somerset. But it's also much easier for me to get to South Jersey than someone in Bridgewater, if that's relevant. I mean easy access to the highways overall to get anywhere, not just work.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 PM

12 posts, read 52,640 times
What about South Brunswick?

We have good public schools, blue-ribbon. There are a few Catholic schools (St. Augustine of Canterbury is close by) but there are more towards Princeton, about 6 miles away.

My husband works in Woodbridge and he can get to work in 20 minutes right up Route 1 to Woodbridge Ave.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:33 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,077,406 times
I'm just throwing it out there but a town that isn't in Morris or Somerset County you may want to look at is Highland Park. It's got some of the best schools in the state and it's very close to Woodbridge.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:36 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCFamily View Post
I'll check out Whippany...Thanks again so very much!!!
lived in Whippany area for 12 years in a townhouse community of Oakridge. Although loved Whippany, found the townhouse community was not children oriented. Whippany is close to a lot of shopping and major highways. There is also Cedar Knolls which with Whippany make up Hanover Township.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Slave to 287 from Bridgewater, and you'll sit in that traffic in Piscataway/Edison area. Southern Middlesex areas have the open space, less congestion and the scenery. If that's what the OP wants then they could also look in my area. Just giving options. Didn't mean to make it sound like a negative comment to Somerset. But it's also much easier for me to get to South Jersey than someone in Bridgewater, if that's relevant. I mean easy access to the highways overall to get anywhere, not just work.
Like I said, I've traveled it for 20 years, and it's not bad - there's very little traffic from B'water through to Edison, believe me. I'd venture to say it's better than Rt 1 or 18, that's for sure.

Any it's easier for someone in Somerset to get to the Poconos, if that's relevant.

Somerset has easy access to 202/206/78/287/22 - I'd call those highways too.

And for the record, I don't live or work in Somerset.

ETA - you didn't explain your "landlocked" comment.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,330 times
My in-laws live in Bridgewater, and it's a very nice place to live. Funny - I'm being relocated from morris co to Rochester, and it looks like you're being relocated from Rochester to NJ I think in terms of financials, I got the better deal! It's very expensive in NJ.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I'm just throwing it out there but a town that isn't in Morris or Somerset County you may want to look at is Highland Park. It's got some of the best schools in the state and it's very close to Woodbridge.
Yeah best high school in central NJ. Best friend grew up there, it's got a downtown with a main street, then again so does Woodbridge. HP is very expensive and taxes there are high even by Middlesex County's standards.

If you don't need public education I think you'll get more bang for your buck in Woodbridge with many more options and different neighborhoods within the town to choose from, and you won't have to deal with the HP cops' attitude. For the record Woodbridge schools are good too.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 AM

89 posts, read 444,869 times
Interesting, I'd say that Woodbridge cops are far less tolerable than Highland Park cops. Though, admittedly, I don't have much personal experience with either. Just observations I've made over the years.

Don't know what Catholic schools you're going to find in the Highland Park area since it's a predominately Jewish area.

Of the pick, I'd go with Bridgewater, but you won't have the "Main St." feel. If that's what you're looking for, try Somerset... If you can do Middlesex County, maybe Metuchen? Plenty of great Catholic schools nearby: St. Helena or St. Francis grammar schools and St. Joes or Bishop Ahr high schools...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey