Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 AM

367 posts, read 960,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelland View Post
Emerson is also near a huge cemetery. Don't buy a home near a cemetery.
Why not? You couldn't ask for quieter neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
OP,
Closter will give you better equity appreciation over the long term. The school system, including the regional high school, is considered better.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Cemetaries are fine if you don't mind living near them.

It is harder to re-sell a house near a cemetary though.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM

103 posts, read 395,107 times
If you are thinking in long term and adding kids to the mix, Closter definitely has the better schools. Closter is definitely a mix of wealthy and average. Part of Closter borders Alpine and the money is up there. Closter is sort of out of the way for everything too which is something to consider.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natkav View Post
Hi friends,
If we have to choose from Closter house w/ 20K in immediate repair needed Vs house in Emerson in great condition - close in price - what shoudl we prefer in terms of town?

we have not been in NJ long so dont know the people or cultural differencs between the towns.
Both my husband and I are of Indian origins and we do not have kids right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance.
Natkav..
Closter has a far better school system, but you should expect to pay more for homes there, & that's part of the reason. Too, it's a closer commute to NY City, & that's part of the reason for the uptick in price in Closter. All of No. New Jersey has very diverse population. Emerson is easier if you need train commute -- Closter offers only bus.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 02-12-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Closter has a higher rated school system, but I have a friend who left Closter and moved to Rutherford because they were very unhappy with the schools in Closter. There is a very large Asian population and the competitiveness in school was becoming absurd. Her children, who are very bright, were doing poorly because there were parents who insisted on being given text books for next year so their kids could spend all summer learning them. Come September her kids were way behind the curve, it was just nuts. She is happier in a more "normal" town. Which leads to Emerson, Emerson is much more "normal" and still has a good school system. Closter's "business" district is cuter, but shows signs of aging too. Emerson's business district is not all that nice, but there are plans to revamp it. I also think that you are a little closer to main roads in Emerson - something I prefer, and you're a stones throw from Westwood that has a lovely shopping center.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 AM

6 posts, read 20,906 times
All good points. I grew up in Upper Saddle River and prefer to live in Emerson. A few people wrote how certain towns like Closter has a very high asian population and b/c of the competitiveness, it can get out of hand. Emerson has a very competitive sports program and the schools are good, however people are normal. Growing up in a very wealthy town, as I did, you have a lot of insecure people who are always trying to look better than their neighbor in regards to their house, cars etc.. As far as the school system, it comes down to the child and how hard they want to work which determines how well they do in school. In some of those towns you also have a lot of snobby people, noses up in the air and always "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality. Honestly, I can afford to live in Upper Saddle River(where I grew up), however I would rather have my family and I live in a town like Emerson, Westwood, Washington Twp, etc. Because the people are "normal" and its just as nice IMO than the upper upper area like Saddle River or Alpine. I personally do not need to buy a 5000 square foot house thinking I'm a big shot to feel good about myself. A beautiful quaint house in a good neighborhood with low crime, nice neighbors and a good school system is what counts for me.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
I like Closter much better. Its just got more action and a vibe to it. Some parts of emerson to me just seems crappy. The parts behind Old Hook Road are toxic. I just hate the houses in Emerson too. The town is just plain generic to me.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
Home12 has hit the nail on the head. I was going to say pretty much just that.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 AM

777 posts, read 2,381,085 times
Emerson has good schools also, just not as good as Closter. Emerson's High School is ranked in the top 10% by NJ Monthly in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey