Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,206,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
Or... you can do what I did. I just graduated Summa *** Laude from Rowan University. I have 2 degrees, 1 in El. Ed. and 1 in English. I didn't fool around. I have heard how horrible finding a teaching job is here, so my hubby and I made the decision to move to FL. I was offered a job after 1 interview. If you aren't tied to the state, consider relocating.

tell us what a new teacher in FLA makes vs NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:05 AM

16 posts, read 69,185 times
Teachers obviously make less in the South, but the cost of living differential may well make it worth it. In 2000-2001 I was making $25k in Alabama, and then moved up to NJ where I made $36K the following school year. Because of the cost of living difference, I was actually doing better in AL. My share of the rent in AL in a huge 3 BR in a gated community with pool, etc. was $300/month. My single teacher friends up here all struggle with their min. $800 rents.

Last edited by hencoskij; 06-26-2007 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 66,045 times
Default Teaching in a Special Education School

Quote:
Originally Posted by divajenne View Post
I have been at it for 3 and half years now. I have subbed, worked in a Catholic School and am now working on my MA in Special Education. But the market is still flooded with so many others. I just am not sure what to do anymore. Anybody have any other ideas for careers I can make a switch to do?
Do you currently have a teaching certificate in Special Education? I am in the process of starting a Special Education School in Morris County and am looking for teachers, assistant teachers, aides, and a school nurse. We are looking to open in September.
Thanks,
Gordon

Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 PM

244 posts, read 1,051,050 times
It is so hard. The same thing happened when I was graduated college. Aside from the time period where it was impossible to get a job, they had just changed the teaching certification for our graduating class.

Instead of graduating with your permanent certification, that was the year they implemented the Certificate with Advance Standing, which when it started so many principals had no idea what it was. (All new early childhood/elementary teachers needed to teach one full school year, be supervised and mentored by an experienced teacher, evaluated on a regular basis, and then when the year is out, possibly earn the regular license).

It was terrible that school officials didn't know that it was state mandated and it was what all college graduates with their teaching degree would now have. Eventually they caught on, but being the first graduating class with these implemented changes really sucked. It didn't matter that I graduated with high honors, or any of that other good stuff.

I was fortunate early on, got my permanent certification, and now am a SAHM. But I learned for the most part, it really is who you know in teaching! And of course it is not right.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM

104 posts, read 403,324 times
I graduated from a great private college with an excellent education program. Every year since I graduated, I applied to every school in Monmouth, Union, Somerset, and Middlesex counties (I lived in Monmouth Co). Over 100+ resumes sent every year. Went to job fairs, subbed in several districts, and even had a long term sub position for 6 months. The end result after 3 years - no job, no offers, no leads. It is all who you know, but I "knew" people but it wasn't the right person. So I relocated to NC and got a 1st grade position in the first month I moved down here. I was so stressed and fed up with NJ market that I had to get out or I would never teach.

Yes, I know that pay is much lower (I'll be making around 31K) but the cost of living is cheap down here as well. Good luck to all the teachers still looking for jobs in NJ.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,371,633 times
My friend tried for years to get a Teachers Job in NJ. All that she received was Substitute jobs. Mostly, you have to know someone.
If you consider relocation, there are jobs in Florida, Metro Nashville schools are hiring, and its cheaper to live here, taxes, housing, and no state income tax. Vegas is also hiring.

Diane in Music City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey