Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM

25 posts, read 82,374 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for your replies.

We went to visit Westfield, Chatham and Summit yesterday. We actually spent the majority of the time in Westfield because that's where we went first and time just got away from us! I worked in downtown Westfield for about 1 month last year and remember really liking the town, which is what prompted me to look into it now. We walked around the town yesterday, saw that there were tons of families out and lots of sidewalk sales. We liked it a lot and my husband kept saying that it's much bigger than he expected. We went to a couple of open houses. They were all within walking distance to the train, which is great. We really liked the neighborhood vibe.

We also drove through Summit and Chatham, but by then the open house times were over. The Summit town is similar in size to Westfield, but seemed to not have as many name brand shops and there also didn't seem to be as many people walking around. Chatham's main street is a bit smaller and definitely didn't have a town feel anymore. The houses in both areas looked very nice. To be honest, in all of these nicer suburbs, the houses and blocks look quite similar. It really comes down to distance, price and how much we like the town center. Right now I think we're leaning more heavily toward Westfield.

A question for those who are familiar with Westfield - is there a significant different between north and south of the railroad tracks? There seemed to be a subtle preference for the north, that was the impression we got yesterday but none of the realtors would give us a straight answer. One realtor said that houses cost more on the north side, but that the quality of the schools are all the same.

Most realtors also told us that most of the homes on the north side are walking distance to the train and that's what many people do. However some of the houses were half a mile to a mile away and that's probably not a fun walk in the dead of winter or when it's 95 degrees out. If we know now that we want to buy a home in Westfield next year, can we put our names on the waiting list for parking right away or do we have to wait until we are actually in contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleguin View Post

A question for those who are familiar with Westfield - is there a significant different between north and south of the railroad tracks? There seemed to be a subtle preference for the north, that was the impression we got yesterday but none of the realtors would give us a straight answer. One realtor said that houses cost more on the north side, but that the quality of the schools are all the same.
The north and south side are essentially the same. Both have expensive homes, both have more affordable homes. Both have great schools.

Quote:
Most realtors also told us that most of the homes on the north side are walking distance to the train and that's what many people do. However some of the houses were half a mile to a mile away and that's probably not a fun walk in the dead of winter or when it's 95 degrees out.
If you look at a map of Westfield and draw a circle a mile from the train station, there is an equal amount of properties north and south in that circle. There are places both north and south that are further--probably more on the south side than the north side though in your price range, there are some maps on the westfieldnj.gov site. Lots of people walk year round.

Quote:
If we know now that we want to buy a home in Westfield next year, can we put our names on the waiting list for parking right away or do we have to wait until we are actually in contract?
I doubt it--from the same website:

Commuter Permit Parking
  • Southside Train Station (Lot #3, 5 a.m. – 12 noon, Monday – Friday) – $576 annually and $360 semiannually.
  • Watterson Street (Lot #6, 5 a.m. – 12 noon, Monday – Friday) – $360 annually and $180 semi-annually.
  • Prorated rates based on month purchased.
  • Waiting list for permits. Contact Office of Parking Services at 789-4044 for details.
call them and find out.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM

467 posts, read 1,522,604 times
I just signed up for parking in Westfield. You have to wait until you have some proof of residence, like a utility bill. There are stickier about parking than the pool (different offices, but some building)

On the North vs South, here's the straight dope: About 30 years ago, there was a pretty big difference between north and south Westfield. However, shifting demographics (mostly older folks selling houses) and a bunch of teardowns on the south side, has led to equivalence. I live on the south side, and there are several $1m+ houses on my block - mostly teardowns of older places. Education is identical. At this point, the north vs south thing is a preoccupation of two categories of residents: the elderly and students in middle school. There is a better selection of smaller houses on the south side, though, which is good in your price range - check around the Armory.

In terms of walkability to the train - the walk from either side seems similar. Much of it depends on the weather - I live 3/4 of a mile from the station, and can easily walk when its not 95F and I'm not wearing in a suit. Riding a bike is a good option - there are many bike racks and storage lockers at the train station. Lots of people do this. I wouldn't try riding a bike on North or South Ave, though - way too risky. Side streets are fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,612 times
i just sent in my pool waiting list form today. i'm bummed to now read that we probably won't be able to join for next summer.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:43 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Just wondering, I don't commute daily to the city, but wondering if it's feasible to park at the Roselle Park train station. I think you just grab a space and stuff $4 into the corresponding slot for a day, but not sure if it fills up or there are spaces. Don't know if Union is similar or not, never parked there but I have parked many times in Harrison to catch the PATH many years ago before that new stadium went up recently. There are private lots there in Harrison, the down side is driving to get there.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM

We will figure out the parking situation in time. Right now, we are leaning toward just driving to the path train and parking at a lot there. That way we'd also save $200 per person each month for NJT.

I've been looking on www.schooldigger.com at the schools in Westfield. The site ranks schools based on votes anywhere from 1-5 stars. The Westfield district as a whole is 5 stars, as is the high school. The site rates Roosevelt as 5 stars but Edison as 4 stars. Out of the 6 elementary schools, four are 5 stars and two are 4 stars. I keep hearing from people that all the schools are on par with each other, so I'm trying to figure out why there is a difference in the votes. Are there other websites that people use to research schools that may be more helpful? Is there a certain elementary and middle school that we should be looking more toward when buying a house?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
We will figure out the parking situation in time. Right now, we are leaning toward just driving to the path train and parking at a lot there. That way we'd also save $200 per person each month for NJT.

I've been looking on www.schooldigger.com at the schools in Westfield. The site ranks schools based on votes anywhere from 1-5 stars. The Westfield district as a whole is 5 stars, as is the high school. The site rates Roosevelt as 5 stars but Edison as 4 stars. Out of the 6 elementary schools, four are 5 stars and two are 4 stars. I keep hearing from people that all the schools are on par with each other, so I'm trying to figure out why there is a difference in the votes. Are there other websites that people use to research schools that may be more helpful? Is there a certain elementary and middle school that we should be looking more toward when buying a house?
You can also look at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Why not look for a house that is within walking/biking distance to the train station? Would be great excercise.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post

I just looked at this website and it seems to echo schooldigger.

Franklin: GreatSchool Rating: 10, Schooldigger rating: 5
Jefferson: GreatSchool Rating: 10, Schooldigger rating: 5
McKinley: GreatSchool Rating: 10, Schooldigger rating: 5
Tamaques: GreatSchool Rating: 9, Schooldigger rating: 4
Washington: GreatSchool Rating: 9, Schooldigger rating: 4
Wilson: GreatSchool Rating: 10, Schooldigger rating: 5

Are they all essentially the same, am I being too particular?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,355 times
I use NJ Schools Report Card:

NJ.com: School report card

But these and most ratings are heavily based on test scores. Test scores are only one part of a quality education in my opinion. In fact some of the factors that make a school great cannot be easily measured (or just aren't measured in any official way) such as parent involvement, parent satisfaction, sense of community, and in the classroom: critical thinking, cooperative learning, leadership opportunities, etc.

I have watched the ratings over the past few years and one year an elementary school is ranked slightly higher, the next year slightly lower. It varies very slightly. All of the schools are excellent. I wouldn't base a house purchase on the school district in Westfield.

PS I am an Elementary School teacher with 20 years experience, none of it in Westfield btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey