Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times

Advertisements

Atlanta CEO fatally shot in Newark park by Essex sheriff's detective was visiting N.J. for reunion | NJ.com

This story smells fishy , nothing seems to add up. I think its time we pass laws protecting the citizens more. The cops seem to get away with to much these days and they seem to more aggressive. To be honest , wth is going on in Newark and JC lately , along with NYC the cops seem to be getting away with the worst of crimes......with only a slap on the wrist..... These cops (not of cops) are a waste of tax $$$ and need anger management
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM

327 posts, read 882,116 times
why dont they name the detective?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
the plainclothes officer was approached by Gaymon -- a married father of four -- who was allegedly engaged in a sexual act at the time, prosecutors said.

The 48-year-old allegedly ignored the commands, as he repeatedly threatened to kill the officer, prosecutors said. The officer stated that the CEO lunged at him and attempted to disarm the officer while reaching into his own pocket. The officer reacted and fired his weapon. The bullet hit Gaymon once in the abdomen.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...-98855334.html

Updated story.

Pretty much seems like this guy was a deeply closeted homosexual who panicked when he realized his family would find out he got arrested for having sex with another man at a park.

I dont blame the cop at all in this scenario.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 07-20-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM

245 posts, read 586,169 times
Guess he shouldn't have gone to Newark.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 PM

912 posts, read 2,447,264 times
Don't see how this was a bad a shoot at all. You threaten to kill a cop, then lunge at him - what is the guy supposed to do? Offer up his sidearm to the guy? Use his fists? Come on, man.

We have some problems in LE in New Jersey - overaggressive traffic enforcement and PBA card madness being tops on the list - but when it comes to combating "real" crime our police do an excellent and professional job.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 AM

728 posts, read 1,966,255 times
Obviously its horrible he was shot but lets not jump to conclusion and blame the cops. If the cop had probable cause to feel threatened he did what he had to do. None of us were there so we have to trust that cop used the right judgement. Again, it is horrible that this man was shot but the cop must of felt like he had probable cause and was endangered.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
A guy disobeys you, threatens to kill you, and makes a move your direction, I'd be more worried if this cop didn't make him a human slice of swiss cheese.
This is what I don't get: why is it so hard to obey what the law tells you? If you don't have anything to hide you have no reason to make threats or disobey. I've lived in Jersey and Cali (supposedly the 2 biggest police states in the nation) and have come come into contact with law enforcement many times. Every time I've done what I was told and have never been falsely accused or wrongfully locked up.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
I also read the cop was being treated as he was pretty traumatized by this....if you think just because he's a cop and took a life even when justified it doesn't affect him...think again

Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 AM

429 posts, read 932,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
NJ Prosecutors "Explain" Why Georgia Banker Was Killed by Undercover Cop | NBC New York

Updated story.

Pretty much seems like this guy was a deeply closeted homosexual who panicked when he realized his family would find out he got arrested for having sex with another man at a park.

I dont blame the cop at all in this scenario.
I agree with your take given the little information I have . . . what isn't clear to me from what you're quoting though is that the plainclothes officer was approached by Gaymon while Gaymon was involved in a sexual act?? I can imagine ways that could happen, but many of them would involve some impressive gymnastics if other people were involved too. And if other people weren't involved, it seems like Gaymon wasn't getting his "money's worth" at the park.

Anyway, what irks me more is that it's a problem for folks to have sex in public. Leave them the hell alone. That should be legal, imo, and the police should be concentrating on violent crimes and property crimes.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
I agree with your take given the little information I have . . . what isn't clear to me from what you're quoting though is that the plainclothes officer was approached by Gaymon while Gaymon was involved in a sexual act?? I can imagine ways that could happen, but many of them would involve some impressive gymnastics if other people were involved too. And if other people weren't involved, it seems like Gaymon wasn't getting his "money's worth" at the park.

Anyway, what irks me more is that it's a problem for folks to have sex in public. Leave them the hell alone. That should be legal, imo, and the police should be concentrating on violent crimes and property crimes.
In a park where there may be kids running around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey