Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

They look out of place to some, a 5,000 sq ft. home and up, on a 50 by 100 lot. I guess some people like more house than land. Whatever floats your boat. If someone wants one of these it's up to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
They look out of place to some, a 5,000 sq ft. home and up, on a 50 by 100 lot. I guess some people like more house than land. Whatever floats your boat. If someone wants one of these it's up to them.
if you look at fred's post, its purely from a position of jealousy. i bet he has a smaller house, smaller plot of land and less attractive house. but he wants to attack something because he is jealous that its more than he has; so he says its ugly and is too big for the land.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I am not sure I've ever seen a house that large on that small of a lot in NJ. At least in my town, homes that big are on 1+ acre lots. Hell my last home was about 2100 sq ft on an acre lot.

If the lot is big is it still a McMansion?

Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I am not sure I've ever seen a house that large on that small of a lot in NJ. At least in my town, homes that big are on 1+ acre lots. Hell my last home was about 2100 sq ft on an acre lot.

If the lot is big is it still a McMansion?
You made this grumpy old man "google it"
Description
The term "McMansion" is generally used to denote a new, or recent, multi-story house of no clear architectural style,[8] with a notably larger footprint than the existing houses in its neighborhood. It may seem too large for its lot, closely abutting upon the property boundaries and appearing to crowd adjacent homes. A McMansion is either located in a newer, larger subdivision or replaces an existing, smaller structure in an older neighborhood.
I think it's the second sentence.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 AM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Our home is a 3500' colonial, 4 br, 2 full baths, & 2 half baths (1 in the basement). Family rm, living rm, dining rm, den, kitchen w/separate breakfast area, sitting rm in master bed rm. Now yes utility bills can be ruff especially in the winter (gas heat), & yes it's a lot to clean but the key is you never allow it to get dirty (LOL) or you'll have a major task before you. It sits on 1/3 acre lot which is big enough to require a rider mower & doesn't look bunched up with other big houses in this development. But here's the point........I love every square inch of it! Therefore whatever negatives there are (which I find few) makes it worth it. To me it's my dream house that God gave us & saw to it that we paid the mortage off in 10yrs. Now here's the kicker: we are former NJ residents who had a colonial home which was 2000' & would've never built this type of home in NJ cause the taxes would've been murderous so we built this home in DE where our current taxes are $2500/yr vs $4500/yr (back in 1997).

Now truth be told it's only the 2 of us now & granted certain rooms in this house never get used such as the living, dining, & 3 additional bed rms. The den, kitchen, master bedroom, & finished basement is where we dwell, so if the day comes & we downsize ideally a 2000-2500' ranch would be suitable. We're very comfortable in this house & I think that weighs more than square footage.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Our home is a 3500' colonial, 4 br, 2 full baths, & 2 half baths (1 in the basement). Family rm, living rm, dining rm, den, kitchen w/separate breakfast area, sitting rm in master bed rm. Now yes utility bills can be ruff especially in the winter (gas heat), & yes it's a lot to clean but the key is you never allow it to get dirty (LOL) or you'll have a major task before you. It sits on 1/3 acre lot which is big enough to require a rider mower & doesn't look bunched up with other big houses in this development. But here's the point........I love every square inch of it! Therefore whatever negatives there are (which I find few) makes it worth it. To me it's my dream house that God gave us & saw to it that we paid the mortage off in 10yrs. Now here's the kicker: we are former NJ residents who had a colonial home which was 2000' & would've never built this type of home in NJ cause the taxes would've been murderous so we built this home in DE where our current taxes are $2500/yr vs $4500/yr (back in 1997).

Now truth be told it's only the 2 of us now & granted certain rooms in this house never get used such as the living, dining, & 3 additional bed rms. The den, kitchen, master bedroom, & finished basement is where we dwell, so if the day comes & we downsize ideally a 2000-2500' ranch would be suitable. We're very comfortable in this house & I think that weighs more than square footage.
why didn't god give me a house like that?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Ours is a 2100 ft split 4 bed 3 bath with almost 1/2 arce. Perfect size.. But it was built in 59 when craftsmanship was still a way to build home but everything inside is spanking new.. Walls, fixtures, power, plumbing, roof/windows.. everything. but kept the original oak flooring

Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why didn't god give me a house like that?
god taketh from your house and giveth to sassy.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you look at fred's post, its purely from a position of jealousy. i bet he has a smaller house, smaller plot of land and less attractive house. but he wants to attack something because he is jealous that its more than he has; so he says its ugly and is too big for the land.
Did it ever cross your mind that it's not entirely about "jealousy"? Sure, some people may be jealous of others success and that they have a giant house and make a ton of money. However, I know plenty of people that can afford "McMansions" that absolutely hate them. In my experience, most people who don't like them aren't jealous, they simply think the homes themselves are cookie-cutter and tacky. They have no real "style", no real craftsmanship, nothing is special about them other then they are big and check off a series of boxes like cathedral ceilings and 3-car garages.

With that said, there are some "McMansions" that I personally like. I'm also more of a "big house / small lot" person as I'm not a huge fan of doing tons of yardwork. However, I don't like some of the newer developments I've seen where you are living in a 3,500+ sq.ft. house, but you and your neighbor can reach out of your windows and shake hands, lol. I'm also not an "archtiecture snob" and while I appreciate more classical older homes, some of the new ones, while being a hodge-podge of styles I do find aesthitcally pleasing. However, once again, there are some like the new trend of "big box" homes that are now being built in Florida that I find horrendous. These are basically giant boxes with a roof that have 4,700+ sq.ft., 7+ bedrooms, 5+ bathrooms, etc. Of course they have absolutely zero style, but these are at least dirt cheap with a house like the one I described going for like $250k in Florida.

So, what is and is not a McMansion in terms of negative connotation is all in the eye-of-the-beholder. The definition posted by Jersey Man is pretty much the generic meaning of the term. Of course, at one time the same thing people complain about with "McMansions" in terms of their blandness and similarity could be levelled at pretty much any housing development ever built post-WW2. That awesome craftsmen bungalo, was in fact at one time a "dime a dozen" cookie cutter house. You need to roll back to the pre-WW2 era to really start finding houses that are more unique.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Did it ever cross your mind that it's not entirely about "jealousy"? Sure, some people may be jealous of others success and that they have a giant house and make a ton of money.
people can not like them and it not be an issue of jealousy. but when people start attacking them as if they have some real strong anti-mcmansion opinion as if a mcmansion killed their mother, its out of jealousy. if they werent jealous, they wouldnt address them as if they are offensive in some way. people start saying things like a mcmansion is cookie cutter and not unique, while in the meantime there is probably nothing unique about that person's home. so why attack a non-unique home when your home is also non-unique? its jealousy because your non-unique home is smaller and you perceive that person as someone who "just wants a big house to show off or keep up with the jones's."

when someone posts an anti-mcmansion post, you can usually tell when its just a personal preference they are stating and when there is a jealousy factor in their opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey