Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 68,495 times

Advertisements

Hi all, what is the traffic situation like on Garden State Parkway or Palisades interstate parkway, northbound during morning rush hour? What would you estimate the travel time to be from Fort Lee to Nyack area around 7.30AM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
The GSP would seem to be way out of the way since Nyack is North above Ft Lee, while the G is further West, then you have to double back on the Thruway, which I think would be heavy with all the SB traffic from upstate NY.
Evil racist censor Google Maps quotes it about 30 minutes, but even at twice that, I think it would be shorther up the Pal Pike than the G.

See: Fort Lee, NJ to Nyack, NY - Google Maps

Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Also going up the Pal Pike, North in the morning should be against the rush hour traffic heading towards the GeeDub (GWB).

Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks. Any idea on the speed limit on PIP? Do you think it would be safe to factor in a 45 minute commute for a 20 mile ride on the PIP north of GWB?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 19,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thandamilk View Post
Thanks. Any idea on the speed limit on PIP? Do you think it would be safe to factor in a 45 minute commute for a 20 mile ride on the PIP north of GWB?
Hello,

I took that ride from Fort Lee for many years. Yes, it's mainly not a problem because you'd be going against the NYC-bound bridge traffic each way. The speed limit is 50 - strictly enforced - The Palisades Parkway even has it's own police force. They put out dragnets once in a while as well. Yes, I'd say a 45 min. ride would be fair, maybe a little less. Allowing 5 mins before and after being on parkway, it would take me 35 minutes door-to-door getting off at 6W(Pearl River/Orangeburg), so let's say almost 25 mins. from beginning of parkway going north to exit 6W. The only problem you may run into is getting TO the parkway. It could be difficult if you're coming from south of the bridge(bridge traffic) in Fort Lee, rather than north of the bridge in Fort Lee, especially if you need to take a short ride on Rt. 46e on your way to the parkway. By the way, you mentioned Garden State Parkway - not a good option if you're heading out from around the Fort Lee area.

and it's called the Palisades Interstate Parkway, yes, or Palisades Parkway. That other guy referred to it as the 'Pal Pike'. That is wrong. It's never been referred to by that name. I wouldn't put any stock in what he says. He likes to make up and throw around abbreviations as he goes.

John

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks for your detailed response John, truly appreciate it. From Fort Lee / Edgewater area, its clear that the Palisades Parkway would be the best route up to the Nyack / Valley Cottage area, and 45 minutes seems to be a conservative estimate; which is good.

The other area we're considering is Hoboken / Weehawken / Jersey City. What route would you recommend from there (Northbound on I17 and GSP, or river road to Palisades Parkway); and how much time would you estimate at around 7AM to get to Valley Cottage?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 PM

Hoboken is sort of a tough town to get in & out of due to location between the 2 tunnels to NYC, urban streets. And it's N State Hwy 17, not an I-state. Returning to Hoboken in the evening you may hit traffic. NJ i7 goes northwest, I would suggest the ride up River RD along the Hudson to Ft Lee from there, more direct.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM

For Weehawken, I suggest **River Road north to P.I.P.. Add about 15 mins to previous estimates from Fort Lee. You may even want to take continue on River Road through Fort Lee ( it may become Hudson Terrace at that point ) and get on at Englewood Cliffs (exit 1) in order to bypass some GWB traffic. Should be smooth sailing once past bridge, but perhaps a little rough going north until then. River Road is not really a highway either, rather a one or two lane road with lights in spots. Still your best bet for Weehawken.
**Perhaps you'd take Kennedy B'lvd East ( aka "B'lvd East - with stunning Manhattan skyline view ) until most convenient access to River Road comes along.

From what I know about Hoboken/Jersey City, I'd suggest taking NJ Turnpike north from either, then get off at exit 18 (last toll exit), then route 46 east to last exit before bridge, where entrance for PIP is left at light then two or three short blocks with lights. Add about 20 mins to previous Fort Estimates for Hoboken option, about 30 mins. extra for Jersey City.

I don't think 17/GSP are good options at this point, at least not on a regular basis. You'd need to go west to catch them, north, then back east towards your destination

Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac0919 View Post
From what I know about Hoboken/Jersey City, I'd suggest taking NJ Turnpike north from either, then get off at exit 18 (last toll exit), then route 46 east to last exit before bridge, where entrance for PIP is left at light then two or three short blocks with lights. Add about 20 mins to previous Fort Estimates for Hoboken option, about 30 mins. extra for Jersey City.
I would not usually consider taking the NJ Pike from either of these towns going North, since it is a bit far out of the way. The closest you could catch the Pike from J City would be to go out NJ139, over the WittPenn Bridge Rt 7 and 508 (Newark Pike) where I-280 starts.
If you caught the I-78 Newark bay extension that would be about 3 times as long, going in the opposite direction.
Likewise from the Southern end of Hoboken.

The one place it might make sense, you would have to go out near Giants Stadium to catch it. There IS a toll free way to get on the Pike going North towards the GeeDub (GWB) at that point from the internal roads near the Arena & Xanadu.

That would only be better than US 1&9 since 1&9 up North is undergoing lane closures & lots of lights to boot.

You are correct about jumping off the Pike at US46 since its slightly shorter and avoids mixing in with all the eastbound and cross country traffic coming in from I-80. You also chance getting stuck in inbound GWB backups. I've seen numerous times when US46 gets backed up, the Fort Lee cops prevent anyone from jumping off and driving through Fort Lee. They block the ramps purposely.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 PM

It depends on where in Hoboken and Jersey City. For example, exit/entrance 16 of the turnpike ( not the 'pike' ), is situated not far from the northern edges of both towns. See a map with distinct borders for details.

so, Captne76, do you have any other suggestions for Thandamilk given your comments on traffic and proximity of the turnpike to the lower bowels of Hoboken and Jersey City? Taking the streets up to the P.I.P. from there is likely not the way to go, although more suitable from Weehawken.
and traffic is a way of life anywhere, especially when there are problems resulting in traffic backup or overflow onto local streets. All we can do is plan on best route on average day, with backup plan in the event of unforeseen problem spots.

We can go on forever, but I'm done here. Thandamilk, I hope I've helped, rather than hindered. There's always Mapquest and Google maps and directions facilities......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey