Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
This is good sound advice! I have lived in LaLa land for 60 years and have seen the real decline in the town during the last 20 years. I attended the excellent schools when the town was considered middle class. My parents were middle class as I am to this day. My children attended the schools in town and received an excellent education, but at a cost. The people moving and living here today are phonies and in many cases wannabees. Many of them have more money than brains and choose to remain in their own little world wearing blinders; this attitude transfers to their kids. Many are spoiled, obnoxious, self-centered brats. They bully and ridicule the child that does not wear designer jeans and have the latest electronic devices. Do not kid yourself as you drive by many of the very large spacious homes in town, many are without furniture. The houses are all for show. Their cars too are leased and many times are repossessed right from their driveways.

In a few more years the wife and I will be leaving here when retirement enters our lives. We both miss the kind of people that once lived here. To see what I mean walk into the local 7-11 on a Sunday morning and hold the door for the person behind you, I will bet you do not get a thank you. The people moving and living here today expect everyone to kiss their ARSES. I no longer hold a door for anyone in this town. Do the same thing in a surrounding community and people are grateful for your kindness. I have never been this type of person in my life and refuse to tolerate living with cold, heartless, spoiled, egocentric people. It was so nice all summer when the town emptied out, sadly the people all returned from the summer mansions after Labor Day and with them returned the madness.

Please find a town that you feel better about now, you will be much happier; do this for your future family.

PS. I am an educated man that is completing my PHD. I know what my family and I have experienced with the arrival of the newest residents moving here. Check out Wikipedia when looking for your future town, you will not be sorry you did.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
This is not limited to Livingston; ungrateful scumbags fill this planet. I, like you, have stopped holding doors open for anyone. Seems nobody is appreciative of it anymore.
I've dealt with no one saying thank you as I held the door open for them. That doesn't stop me from being the better person. If they don't say thank you say, sarcastically say "You're welcome"- They'll feel crappier than you not holding the door open for them.
Most people say thank you in my experiences anyway..

Old 09-11-2010, 06:40 PM

77 posts, read 376,288 times
I think my people example has stolen the original purpose of the thread. It is my hope that the original poster follows some of the ideas here and finds a nicer place to call home. Because once children come along it is easy to become trapped in a community, move now while the job is easier.
Bill

Old 10-29-2015, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 36,057 times
LOL! Funny

Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 PM

16 posts, read 36,057 times
LOL! Funny

Old 10-30-2015, 03:41 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We moved from Manhattan to Livingston a few years ago. Although we like our home, we just don't care for the town at all. We don't spend any time in Livingston (other than when we are home), and often find ourselves in Summit, Millburn, Florham Park, Morristown, Madison, etc.

Part of me feels like this town is too snobby. I grew up in Boca Raton, and I swear I get flashbacks. MI wonder if it is because we don't run a Jewish household or identify with the Jewish community. My husband is Jewish but doesn't practice, and I'm a non practicing Catholic. Our Jewish friends (more like acquaintances) seem to really like living here and do find a sense of community.

We definitely plan on looking elsewhere, probably Summit, when we move. It just seems more diverse there. Anybody else feel this way.

Please don't reply that I'm anti Semitic. My husband is Jewish, and we plan on raising our kids with both traditions. He's Jewish and doesn't feel connected here.
Holy thread hijack and turnaround, batman!
The OP had a question and people start throwing the race card out there and then changed the subject to holding doors?

Magic78, sorry for the rudeness in here. I would like to think that New Jerseyans are.. nicer? I like Summit and Morristown from the list that you provided, above. Is moving to Cambridge a possibility? I posted elsewhere that life is too short to live in a place you don't like. I've met people who told me that they moved to a certain town or state with the intention of staying for "2 years max" to make money, save up money, or whatever the reason. 20 years later, they are still there with the same dreams of saving or making money in order to get out. Find jobs in a city you like, put your house up for sale, and live where you want to! Life is short.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:49 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Holy thread hijack and turnaround, batman!
The OP had a question and people start throwing the race card out there and then changed the subject to holding doors?

Magic78, sorry for the rudeness in here. I would like to think that New Jerseyans are.. nicer? I like Summit and Morristown from the list that you provided, above. Is moving to Cambridge a possibility? I posted elsewhere that life is too short to live in a place you don't like. I've met people who told me that they moved to a certain town or state with the intention of staying for "2 years max" to make money, save up money, or whatever the reason. 20 years later, they are still there with the same dreams of saving or making money in order to get out. Find jobs in a city you like, put your house up for sale, and live where you want to! Life is short.
The OP moved to Florham Park a long time ago, and then proceeded to constantly complain about the people who live in Florham Park.

When people here brought it to her attention that the problem might just be her, and not the towns, she threw out a bunch of insults and vowed never to come back.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:56 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post

Yikes!
Does anybody actually look at posting dates before responding?
You are responding to a person who posted his/her question over 5 years ago, and who has not been active in this forum for at least the past 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The OP moved to Florham Park a long time ago, and then proceeded to constantly complain about the people who live in Florham Park.

When people here brought it to her attention that the problem might just be her, and not the towns, she threw out a bunch of insults and vowed never to come back.
Yup!
Below is the last known posting from Magic78, after people dared to disagree with her:

"Wow...all you guys need to get lives. This board totally sucks. I'm so totally done with all you freaking losers who have nothing better to do than to track my history. People go on these boards to complain. This is a venting outlet. LOSERS!!!!!!"

Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I remember that one! She didn't like the neighbor who had his car covered with a tarp, and the million-dollar houses were too rundown for her tastes, and pretty much everyone she ever encountered had something wrong with them...

Old 10-30-2015, 04:07 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember that one! She didn't like the neighbor who had his car covered with a tarp, and the million-dollar houses were too rundown for her tastes, and pretty much everyone she ever encountered had something wrong with them...

...and yet, she thought that the other people posting in this forum were "complainers".

Hmmmm...

Old 10-31-2015, 03:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
I think my people example has stolen the original purpose of the thread. It is my hope that the original poster follows some of the ideas here and finds a nicer place to call home. Because once children come along it is easy to become trapped in a community, move now while the job is easier.
Bill
I too saw a big decline in the people of some areas. I really felt like you. I retired and got out of NJ again and this time did it right. I get what you are saying in your other post about manners. I love NJ but its different than when I grew up too. Its hard to bond w/ people in NJ unless you knew them in HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey