Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,055 times

Advertisements

We moved from Manhattan to Livingston a few years ago. Although we like our home, we just don't care for the town at all. We don't spend any time in Livingston (other than when we are home), and often find ourselves in Summit, Millburn, Florham Park, Morristown, Madison, etc.

Part of me feels like this town is too snobby. I grew up in Boca Raton, and I swear I get flashbacks. MI wonder if it is because we don't run a Jewish household or identify with the Jewish community. My husband is Jewish but doesn't practice, and I'm a non practicing Catholic. Our Jewish friends (more like acquaintances) seem to really like living here and do find a sense of community.

We definitely plan on looking elsewhere, probably Summit, when we move. It just seems more diverse there. Anybody else feel this way.

Please don't reply that I'm anti Semitic. My husband is Jewish, and we plan on raising our kids with both traditions. He's Jewish and doesn't feel connected here.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
The OP has 7 posts at this time. Of those 7, 5 of them are either about being afraid of black people or not liking being around Jews. It's best just to just ignore the trolls.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We moved from Manhattan to Livingston a few years ago. Although we like our home, we just don't care for the town at all. We don't spend any time in Livingston (other than when we are home), and often find ourselves in Summit, Millburn, Florham Park, Morristown, Madison, etc.

Part of me feels like this town is too snobby. I grew up in Boca Raton, and I swear I get flashbacks. MI wonder if it is because we don't run a Jewish household or identify with the Jewish community. My husband is Jewish but doesn't practice, and I'm a non practicing Catholic. Our Jewish friends (more like acquaintances) seem to really like living here and do find a sense of community.

We definitely plan on looking elsewhere, probably Summit, when we move. It just seems more diverse there. Anybody else feel this way.

Please don't reply that I'm anti Semitic. My husband is Jewish, and we plan on raising our kids with both traditions. He's Jewish and doesn't feel connected here.
Ha! I grew up in a very similar area, and based on my experience, I would not like to live in Livingston either!

You can look at Summit, I can't give you info about it though. I have relatives in Scotch Plains and that area is beautiful. Get out of Essex County, those taxes are sickening paying for Newark's welfare.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 PM

I don't have a clue what some of you are talking about. I just don't feel part of a community here in Livingston. My husband and I feel alienated. I'm not a troll or a tea party member. Very funny. I have a Masters Degree, and my husband has a PhD from the top Ivy league school in the country. I'm pro Obama, a democrat, etc. I'm just disappointed in the lack of community feeling I get from my town. People say it will get easier to develop friendships, etc. once we have kids. I hope that it happens.

Ideally, we want to return to Cambridge, MA where is it is very democratic and very diverse. That is where we want to raise our kids, not a predominantly white (regardless of religion) upper class community like Livingston. I don't think that a tea party member would want to live in Cambridge!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
People say it will get easier to develop friendships, etc. once we have kids. I hope that it happens.
Dream on!

Seriously though, if you hate it now you'll hate it even more when you have kids. For their sake don't to it to them. Don't put them through that, the bullying, teasing, rich spoiled plastic brats they'll be going to school with. Your experience now is a dead giveaway that is what will be in store for your children if you stay. Don't give your children hell.

Look for a middle class town. More relaxed and you'll have more savings to spare on top of that.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,201 times
{ That is where we want to raise our kids, not a predominantly white (regardless of religion) upper class community like Livingston.}

I find gentiles like you amusing. We Jews are too "white" for the leftists, but not "white" enough for the right. You and Whoelsebutcharles are looking for a socially acceptable way to slam Jews.

Listen, if you don't like living somewhere, move. But why come here looking for a pat on the back? Have you ever lived in Cambridge or Summit - lots of Jews in both. Could be uncomfortable for you.

Some folks claim to like "diversity", but that almost always means a smattering of people of color who think just like you. Living in a community where you are in the minority is, I suppose, outside the comfort zone. Too bad.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,362,636 times

Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 AM

Ummmmm.....my husband is Jewish? My kids will be half Jewish?

I find these forums so freaking amusing. You can't write anything without being accused of a million things. I lived in Cambridge for 7 years and worked in Summit for 3 years. I would much rather live in Cambridge where there social, racial, religious, and economic diversity than a rich, white, upper class town. I grew up in the bubble of Boca Raton. I don't want my kids to grow Up in a bubble as well.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 AM

728 posts, read 1,965,101 times
I understand your point, people in Livingston do think there the best and I mean I like Livingston but its not like people have no reason to believe there so great and better than other towns.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 AM

133 posts, read 502,603 times
Berkeley Heights, New Providence are affluent towns but have less of the snob factor(IMO). Have you looked into them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey