Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am thinking about opening a business in Staten Island, but am not sure if it would be better to live in NJ or on Staten Island. If I live in NJ, it would probably be in Middlesex county, preferably Woodbridge or Metuchen.

How long is the commute over the bridge to Staten Island? Google says about 20 min from Woodbridge, but i am guessing that is without traffic.

Any nice places in Staten Island for a young couple with children in the future?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,988 times
By business, do you mean a store? Or, an office business?

If a store than I'd recommend living as close as possible to your business. Store owners work killer hours.

If it's a business office & you'll be working something akin to "business hours" than you might think about living a little bit away.

It really depends on what kind of business & the hours involved.

Also, are there tax implications in owning a business in NY & living in NJ? I don't know myself, but just a thought.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
It would depend some on your exact commute, but in my experience the trek to Staten Island from NJ through Outerbridge/440 or Goethals/278 is one of the worst commutes I have experienced.

Worse than GW/Cross Bronx, worse than 287 to NJ Turnpike, worse than 80E in the morning.

Better than Belt Parkway and better than commuting though Manhattan (whomever would be dumb enough to do that on a daily basis).

Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 PM

968 posts, read 1,143,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybkaybkayb View Post
Hello All,

I am thinking about opening a business in Staten Island, but am not sure if it would be better to live in NJ or on Staten Island. If I live in NJ, it would probably be in Middlesex county, preferably Woodbridge or Metuchen.

How long is the commute over the bridge to Staten Island? Google says about 20 min from Woodbridge, but i am guessing that is without traffic.

Any nice places in Staten Island for a young couple with children in the future?

Thank you in advance!

Metuchen is a great area, but very expensive. Woodbridge is huge, so it will depend on the area. Colonia is the most costly part but the only real undesirable areas are the parts near the Perth Amboy and Rahway borders. 440 brings you to the Outerbridge, but the toll will make your head explode, what is it $14 now? I know in some cases you will get a discount if you have EZ pass, but not exactly sure how that works.

As far as living conditions goes, I don't know what you are looking for exactly. You really can't go wrong with Middlesex County as far as schools go, except the place where we initially settled 25 years ago (Sayreville - and this town has REALLY taken a beating), but for a nice house in a quiet neighborhood, prepare to pay at least $350K and that's for older homes. Taxes will be on either side of 10K. On Staten Island, city taxes cover the schools which is why your property taxes are typically less than 1/2 that. Still, I lived in both places and honestly see no good reason for living on Staten Island, IMO it is the poorest excuse for a part of NYC out of the five boroughs.

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 09-22-2015 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey