Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
Definitely come across as having a chip on your shoulder against Essex County. But I guess that can be expected from someone who is so proud of where they live they use it as their ID...........
Sorry to disappoint you, there's no chip on my shoulder and my ID isn't due to pride so much as identification of where in NJ I'm from. And I'm not out to fight against people from other counties or about counties - I'm just stating my opinion.

What IS definitely clear, as I acknowledged, is that I obviously have a bias, and I explained that it is due to my own experience (which should be a given and understood by anyone reading my opinion anyway). When I commute to Essex I see few neighborhoods that are as nice as Bergen County and the ones I do see have some kind of strange layout, with $500-700K homes sitting right next to a pharma company's office or a corporate park or some kind of water tower or antenna.

As for the traffic, I guess I'm probably going overboard and attributing what is actually more a Morris County traffic Hell to Essex county, so I'll concede that much. There is nothing, NOTHING in Bergen County that is worse than the intersection of 80 and 287. I'd rather be at the intersection of Rt 4 and 17 two evenings before Christmas than be on the 80 and 287 interchange on a regular work morning. Even when there's no problem it's a nasty, heavy flow of traffic with people being more aggressive than I've ever seen, and it's still slow; but it's almost guaranteed that one out of five commutes a week will be met with some kind of accident or other problem that makes what would be a 10-15 minute drive into one that's over an hour. But I have had similar experiences on 10 and 24, also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Teaneck, Hackensack would be better comparables for urbanity to Belleville, Bloomfield. The two former may actually be more urban than the two latter.

I don't think I agree, I'ved lived in both the latter cities and work in the former. Teaneck is more like West Orange than Belleville in my opinion.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 PM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh well, if you're going to talk about THAT side of Bergen County...

I just did a search on towns on Essex County, and there are some I never realized were part of Essex. I thought Essex was mainly Newark, the Oranges, and a few other more urban towns. I knew Montclair was Essex, and that runs the gamut from mansions to slums, but I didn't realize Cedar Grove or Nutley or Glen Ridge were in Essex, too.

Northwest Bergen County myopia, I guess.
I lived in Montclair for nine years, they have so low rent areas, but to all them slums is quite an exaggeration.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
I lived in Montclair for nine years, they have so low rent areas, but to all them slums is quite an exaggeration.
Bloomfield Ave looks very deceiving, but I agree. It is worlds apart from the ghetto. I always thought of Montclair's downtown as kind of a rundown version of Princeton. Although on a large scale in comparison to the quiet areas near the university, there really is no comparison. It's like comparing Hidden Lake (SF), Farrington Lake or Colonial Gardens to Nassau Street area in North Brunswick.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:22 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
The county infighting is normal too as someone who lives and spends a lot of time in both I can give a nonbiast view. Truthfully the traffic is worse in Bergen 17 and 4 are awful route 10 is not that bad, though 22 in union county is the worst. As for the counties its tough to compare bergen is huge with many towns like theres 10 rich towns 10 upper-middle class 10 lower middle class that kind of stuff. Essex is much smaller in land and the eastern section of it is bad. So theres much less to compare, though the best part of Bergen (apline and saddle river) are probably nicer then the best in essex. A community like short hills is comparable to woodcliff lake. With all that said, i prefer essex county. I like the contrasts and there are many nice diverse communities unlike in Bergen county. Essex is more interesting many towns are larger as well. Its to each's own, I prefer Essex but I like bergen a lot too. Both counties have a very ny feel which is good. Obviously the bad parts of essex (NWK, irvington, East and Orange) are not part of this comparsion they are a billion times worse then anywhere in bergen.
I am no expert on Bergen county, but I have relatives in Alpine and my wife has relatives in Englewood Cliffs so we spend a decent amount of time in those areas. Short Hills and Essex Fells are every bit as nice. Also, the other towns in west essex have very wealthy areas that are comparable. North Caldwell, Montclair, West Orange, South orange, and Livingston all have areas with multimillion dollar homes on at least an acre, if not more, with trees and hills and all that good stuff. Livingston and Milburn usually have people on the Forbes list, why would they choose Essex When Bergen is so much better? A house in Alpine would be a drop in the bucket to guys like David Tepper, David Mandelbaum or the Kushner family. Towns in Essex are a little more Socially/financially integrated than Bergen, and that is a good thing. Obviously, the billionaires who live here, think it is a good thing too.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 09-25-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 09-25-2010, 07:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, there's no chip on my shoulder and my ID isn't due to pride so much as identification of where in NJ I'm from. And I'm not out to fight against people from other counties or about counties - I'm just stating my opinion.

What IS definitely clear, as I acknowledged, is that I obviously have a bias, and I explained that it is due to my own experience (which should be a given and understood by anyone reading my opinion anyway). When I commute to Essex I see few neighborhoods that are as nice as Bergen County and the ones I do see have some kind of strange layout, with $500-700K homes sitting right next to a pharma company's office or a corporate park or some kind of water tower or antenna.

As for the traffic, I guess I'm probably going overboard and attributing what is actually more a Morris County traffic Hell to Essex county, so I'll concede that much. There is nothing, NOTHING in Bergen County that is worse than the intersection of 80 and 287. I'd rather be at the intersection of Rt 4 and 17 two evenings before Christmas than be on the 80 and 287 interchange on a regular work morning. Even when there's no problem it's a nasty, heavy flow of traffic with people being more aggressive than I've ever seen, and it's still slow; but it's almost guaranteed that one out of five commutes a week will be met with some kind of accident or other problem that makes what would be a 10-15 minute drive into one that's over an hour. But I have had similar experiences on 10 and 24, also...
that is patently false. and yes, i'm at the intersection A LOT. there's a reason 4/17 makes the list of one of the most dangerous merges in the COUNTRY.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
that is patently false. and yes, i'm at the intersection A LOT. there's a reason 4/17 makes the list of one of the most dangerous merges in the COUNTRY.
I agree. I am often at the 80/287 merge and I rarely have any traffic there. Only maybe at rush hour, and even then, it still moves. But then, where ISN'T there traffic at rush hour?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am no expert on Bergen county, but I have relatives in Alpine and my wife has relatives in Englewood Cliffs so we spend a decent amount of time in those areas. Short Hills and Essex Fells are every bit as nice. Also, the other towns in west essex have very wealthy areas that are comparable. North Caldwell, Montclair, West Orange, South orange, and Livingston all have areas with multimillion dollar homes on at least an acre, if not more, with trees and hills and all that good stuff. Livingston and Milburn usually have people on the Forbes list, why would they c<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/abc.js"></script>hoose Essex When Bergen is so much better? A house in Alpine would be a drop in the bucket to guys like David Tepper, David Mandelbaum or the Kushner family. Towns in Essex are a little more Socially/financially integrated than Bergen, and that is a good thing. Obviously, the billionaires who live here, think it is a good thing too.
I agree that Essex is better but Alpine is the wealthiest town in the state I think and the properties are fancier then in Short Hills. If money was no object I personally would be in a multimillion dollar part of Essex such has Llewyn park over anywhere in Bergen but Apline has the highest values and incomes.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree. I am often at the 80/287 merge and I rarely have any traffic there. Only maybe at rush hour, and even then, it still moves. But then, where ISN'T there traffic at rush hour?
exactly.. this goes back to bcj admitting he has a bias because he doesn't know back roads around it. 287/80 is "bad" at rush hour, but not horrendous.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I agree that Essex is better but Alpine is the wealthiest town in the state I think and the properties are fancier then in Short Hills. If money was no object I personally would be in a multimillion dollar part of Essex such has Llewyn park over anywhere in Bergen but Apline has the highest values and incomes.
Llewellyn Park in West Orange is the perfect example. Driving around there, you would think you were in Greenwich CT or something. You really think Alpine has "fancier" properties? Actually, maybe "fancier" in an ostentatious sort of way, but definitely not prettier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey