Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:42 PM

26 posts, read 115,879 times

Advertisements

We moved to Somerset (Franklin Township) from CA a few years ago. We love it here. It's just as expensive as CA, but you get far more house for your dollar. We wanted the country feel but all the city amenities.

Information on Franklin Township Schools:
Franklin Township Public Schools
Several of the graduates received competitive scholarship to attend top schools.

Franklin Township is quite diverse and many neighborhoods provide you with safety, community and close proximity to the city. Check out the Franklin Township website: Franklin Township Public Schools

Great article on Franklin Township/Somerset:
Enjoy: If You're Thinking of Living In/Somerset, N.J.; Diversity, Stability and Convenience - New York Times

Best of luck with your research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemianblue2 View Post
Hi:

Well my family and I moved to Orlando about 9 months ago from NJ aqnd will be moving back to NJ in November. Florida is great for vacation, and cost of living may be a bit less, but that is increasing. The major fact is the salaries here are absolutely too low! Besides that the crime rate is getting worse and worse. I 'll be back on vacation, but looking to move back to North Jersey (West ORange/South Orange area.)
Agreed. I think crime/prices are increasing everywhere, but FL salaries aren't! (or not nearly enough to even survive)

I was just in WO a couple weeks ago, and fell in love. I'm looking to move to western Essex (anything West Orange [except the eastern half] and west of that) once I move to NJ.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
I can't believe any one would want to move back to Jersey after leaving. I moved away 10 years and haven't looked back. Florida might have a slightly higher property tax but the simple fact that Jersey has an income tax will sap any wage increase you might make in a move from Florida to Jersey. Everyday items and necessities are just plain more expensive in the northeast. The only problem with Florida is the fact that the people I tried to get away from in Jersey, New York, and Boston all seem to make their way down here which in turn can make Florida crappy also.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,381 times
well i live in Montclair, NJ and it is also expensive but it is a nice town very diversed and good school system I am moving to GA myself because it is to expensive for a house and not to much for teens to do. But check out northern NJ towns. 1 hour from NY 2 hours from AC

Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 AM

49 posts, read 171,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbains View Post
I can't believe any one would want to move back to Jersey after leaving. I moved away 10 years and haven't looked back. Florida might have a slightly higher property tax but the simple fact that Jersey has an income tax will sap any wage increase you might make in a move from Florida to Jersey. Everyday items and necessities are just plain more expensive in the northeast. The only problem with Florida is the fact that the people I tried to get away from in Jersey, New York, and Boston all seem to make their way down here which in turn can make Florida crappy also.
This is simply not true. Regardless of income tax, it's not that much cheaper to live in FL unless you are in the middle of nowhere. Once you factor in the much much lower wages (if you can even find a white collar job), high property taxes and tutors or private schools for your kids (since you will surely need them if using FL schools) - it all pretty much evens out.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbains View Post
the irony of this statement is great.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 PM

88 posts, read 536,264 times
If you're interested in the fast-paced lifestyle, city like surroundings, urban enterprizes, and REAL food, GO FOR IT!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
I'm considering a move to NJ from Nebraska. I have 2 kids (12 and 14) and while my husband would be getting a great job, I'm very worried about housing costs. I don't want to be poor! We need to be in Franklin Lakes area and like trees, traditional homes and want good schools. Any advice for me?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmaymax View Post
I'm married, we have a two year old child. We live in Naples and it is way too expensive and way too country.
We are interested in N.J. but not sure where to start our research.
I would like something not too country, small town, close to the bigger cities, and a great place to raise a family.
(For us close means 2 to 3 hours away from the city)
Currently we drive about 1 hour to work one way, so this is what we are used to. We will visit some towns in N.J. in about 2 weeks in hopes of finding a place to call "home". Please help us by giving us some names of towns that we are able to research.
Thank you, Me
New Jersey has the highest property taxes of all 50 states......stay where you are !!!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,305 times
Yeah, to whoever is saying Florida has higher property taxes than NJ, are you crazy??? It's a fact that NJ has the highest! My family pays 10,000 a year for property taxes and we just have a normal home! And our friends pay almost 20,000!!! Everyone I know in Florida pays less than 5,000!! My fiance and I cannot wait to get out of this awful, dirty, congested state. It's just plain ugly, the people are ugly (as in the rudest anywhere), it's ridiculously expensive so the higher salary doesn't count. I pay 1500 for a one bedroom apartment!! We go to Florida several times a year and cannot wait to move to a place where it's not cold 8 months of the year. I will take the heat for those 8 months instead. And the palm trees, and oh yeah, the ocean will actually be blue- not brown like it is here in dirty jersey. Please, seriously reconsider if only for the fact that you mentioned moving somewhere to pay LESS. NJ is the OPPOSITE of paying less for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey