Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 PM

191 posts, read 591,214 times

Advertisements

i really don't know a doable way to fix the heating issue in my house. we are house poor new homeowners and cannot afford to add a new heating zone downstairs by buying a new furnace right now. our furnace is in the attic, and our bedrooms upstairs get heated very well. however, NONE of the heat reaches downstairs (central heat). we tried closing the vents downstairs and only opening the downstairs ones, doesn't work.
two questions -
i was wondering, are there little fans/blowers that can be installed in the vents to push the hot air down more?
we have a gas fireplace. the first time we used it the carbon monoxide went off. my husband turned it on again using the fan to blow out the heat. the alarm didn't go off, but there is an odd smell in the air when the fireplace is on. but my husband doesn't think it's carbon monoxide because CO doesn't smell. could the fireplace smell be safe? i am worried because we have young children and the smell makes me nervous. though, this would help with heating our first floor.
last winter, it was unbearable, we used space heaters and our heating bill was through the roof, and our main floor was still freezing. every morning going downstairs was like stepping right outside.
does anyone have any suggestions? i am getting so nervous about the colder weather coming. we just had no money to attend to this issue last year. we don't have enough for a major repair, but if there is something we could do for under $1K that would be great. sorry for the long post. would appreciate any advice, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
I have never heard of a furnace being installed in an attic. Are you sure it's not just an air handler (blower) that's in the attic? What kind of heat is it - natural gas, oil, electric? Since heat rises it doesn't make sense that it's being generated in the attic and trying to be forced downward. Does the house have a basement at all?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Actually, I have seen furnaces put in in attics in split-level homes and in older homes that only have root cellars. Usually these are electric models, although from time to time an NG model be put in, although it would need prior approval usually from the fire marshal and the building inspector.

In answer to your question about fans, most of the ones you see advertised are not going to really pull a whole lot of air into a lower level simply because of the amount of air space into which the second story air is being pulled. For a short term solution, you may want to look into infra-quartz whole room heaters such as this one from Lowe's.

As for the gas fireplace, I would recommend looking for a National Fireplace Institute (NFI) certified inspector come out to look at the fireplace. The "odd smell" you have could either be dust being burnt off or it could be indicative of an issue with the ceramic logs or the hoses into the unit becoming too hot.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM

18 posts, read 18,135 times
Default Mini Heater

You can buy a mini heater from amazon for like $20. I have a mini heater and once it gets going, it heats up the whole room.

Check out something like this... [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TKDQ5C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006DNMZG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=0B165YXVECE62N69JT1A"]Mini Heater[\url]

Last edited by DisabledMess; 09-27-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have never heard of a furnace being installed in an attic. Are you sure it's not just an air handler (blower) that's in the attic? What kind of heat is it - natural gas, oil, electric? Since heat rises it doesn't make sense that it's being generated in the attic and trying to be forced downward. Does the house have a basement at all?

You're kidding, right? They are in attics. It's not a new concept.

It's called a forced air system for a reason.

Heat rises and cold air sinks, yet where are your typical homeowner central a/c units? Outside and ground level.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Is your gas fireplace vented?

if not i wouldn't use it.

it is not a lot different than turning on a gas stove and letting it heat your house, which isnt a great idea either.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
also, the gas fireplace is an energy hog. oy - housepoor stinks.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
It is possible that there are dampers in the system that are closed (these are different then the room vents). If this is a new system, is it possible that there was duct work that was not reconnected?

When I moved into my house and we were doing some work, we found ducts to two of the bedrooms that were not connected to the system. We have no idea how long it had been that way.

You can also find out about balancing your system. Someone who comes in and does this should know about the dampers.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Have you considered calling your utility company? I know many of them offer services for replacing or upgrading monthly equipment that is then rolled into a monthly payment plan. My in-laws did this through PSE&G and installed a dual zone system in their home that included new duct work. The cost was just billed on their statement over a 24 month period. They paid nothing out of pocket and there are no interest charges. They even got to claim all the rebates.

There are no "real" solutions other than doing it right. I would personally be looking into what options I would have to get the correct system installed and make monthly payments which wouldn't require a major cash outlay all at once. You could then pay it off when you get extra money in like at tax time.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Have you considered calling your utility company? I know many of them offer services for replacing or upgrading monthly equipment that is then rolled into a monthly payment plan.
I agree. The utility company might have some idea of what's going on with that fireplace. I also heard that if any of the logs are chipped or broken that it's really dangerous?

Does your fireplace have a chimney? Is your fireplace the type that can also burn wood?

Otherwise, you might go with electric heaters on the 1st floor, lots of flannel pajamas, and warm slippers.

BTW, I have my AC system in my attic. I own an old/historic home and there was no way the unit could be installed in our basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey