Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,552 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Brooklyn, NY and used to great pizza. I moved to Central New Jersey and haven't found a good pizzeria yet. I know no Jersey pizza will be comparible to Brooklyn. But can anyone recommend a good pizzeria in Central NJ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,052,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy555 View Post
I am originally from Brooklyn, NY and used to great pizza. I moved to Central New Jersey and haven't found a good pizzeria yet. I know no Jersey pizza will be comparible to Brooklyn. But can anyone recommend a good pizzeria in Central NJ? Thanks
This is more northern than central, but the Linwood Inn in Linden, NJ (Union County) has great pizza. Spirito's in Elizabeth (same county) does, as well. There are countless great pizza places in Jersey. I don't know of many in central NJ because I live in northern Jersey but it's very good. Not as good as some Brroklyn places, I'm sure, but let's put it this way: I've been to Florida and Maine most recently, and about a dozen other east coast states and Chicago, and none of their pizzas rivaled Jersey's.

Some places have better pizza than others but overall NJ has very very good pizza. Keep looking! haha

Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,969,345 times
If you are into more "gourmet" pizza (not floppy greasy strip-mall pizza), try Emma's in Cranford. They do all kinds of Italian food, but the brick oven pizza is delicious! Brick oven style is my favorite, with little burned grains stuck to the bottom and bubbles in the crust. I get the margherita pizza with sundried tomatoes added on top.

I live in PA and get up to Cranford for meetings every 1-2 months, and I treat myself to Emma's every time. I eat more than half the pie on the 1 hour+ drive home!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,052,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If you are into more "gourmet" pizza (not floppy greasy strip-mall pizza), try Emma's in Cranford. They do all kinds of Italian food, but the brick oven pizza is delicious! Brick oven style is my favorite, with little burned grains stuck to the bottom and bubbles in the crust. I get the margherita pizza with sundried tomatoes added on top.

I live in PA and get up to Cranford for meetings every 1-2 months, and I treat myself to Emma's every time. I eat more than half the pie on the 1 hour+ drive home!
Ha! I live in Cranford! Yes, Emma's has great pizza. Actually, it was the first place I went when I left Newark airport after returning from Florida in July. I needed my Italian food! hahaha

Brooklyn Pizza also in Cranford with another location in Rahway (which is often considered more Central Jersey) has good pizza. I don't know if it lives up to its name by your standards OP but it's good!

Honestly Jersey has great pizza. Some places are probably just as good as Brooklyn, you just have to find them.

I know it's a touristy spot I guess, but Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn truly has good pizza. And their Italian ice. Omg.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,369,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy555 View Post
What area of Central Jersey? That encompasses several counties and a lot of towns!

My rule is to stay away from a place if it looks too new and fancy. When I first moved into my condo, I was tired and hot and dirty from moving, and I saw one of my neighbors outside and asked for the number of a pizza place that delivers. I ordered from there and the pizza was good, so I ordered a few more times.

Then one night I called ahead from my train for a pizza and said I'd pick it up, but I realized I had no idea where they were, lol. Turns out I'd passed it a million times, but you had to pull into this parking lot inside of a jug handle and it was in this older building next to a dry cleaners. I walked in, and the interior of place obviously hadn't been renovated since around 1962. But the pizza is good! That one's in Eatontown.

Now, if you're anywhere near Middletown, you should easily be able to get info on where the good pizza is, because half of Middletown came from Brooklyn and the other half from Staten Island. Just knock on the door of a former Brooklynite and ask. It's easy to tell who the people are who moved to Middletown from Brooklyn, because they have all these big statues and ornaments on their front laws just like they did in Brooklyn, hehehe, only now they have more space for them!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-28-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM

667 posts, read 1,748,909 times
If you're a real pizza foodie/snob, you need to realize there are only the 'one-percent' that know how to make truly amazing pizza. Yes, Brooklyn has a couple (happy to have grown up there with plenty of pizza choices). Although to me Arthur ave in the Bronx has the best options in a 2-3 block area (Marios is probably the best I've ever had). Pepes in Yonkers, Agnellos in New City is the same family from Patsys and Grimaldis. Even Arturos on Houston has the best vibe and pizza combo..piano bar and great pizza with peroni. It used to be a hanging out spot for Tony Bennett, who I would always see there with some 20-30 yr old hottie!

But since we moved to NJ a year ago we started the hunt. Most of the local places folks love just didn't cut it. Tried a bunch mostly North NJ so far (Hudson, Bergen, Union, Essex). And I finally realized , you DON'T go to NJ to look for Brooklyn pizza (yes, I know the chain "brooklyn" restaurant in NJ as well as I've been to at least 3 locations). NJ specializes in their Bar Pies. Go to Kinchleys in Ramsey. You will not be disappointed. Unfreaking real flavor. Their cheese, sauce, crust is too die for. Plain is best. Peperoni not bad. Any other toppings are not recommended. Nellies in Waldwick is good too but not on par. Just went to Star Tavern in West Orange 2 weeks ago. Delicious, but way too greasy.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 PM

456 posts, read 835,966 times
There are two places I eaten great pizza. One place is near College of NJ, I forgot the name, but it's a small place with amazing pizza. But the best pizza I must say is Goomba's Pizza in Union, NJ. Not only is the pizza good, but the place is decorated with Godfather and other mafia movie things. A classic Jersey place

Old 08-28-2012, 06:59 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,136,460 times
There is a place called Angela's in Hazlet that we get our pizza from. It's the best I've had here - but most I won't eat at all. We ordered it for the kids at my son's birthday party and my brother was visiting from Bay Ridge. He almost fainted when he tasted it and I almost fainted when he looked shocked and said "this is really almost as good as Brooklyn. I have never had pizza this good outside of NYC". I love L&B and it's great for a special treat.

I've actually stopped bringing home pizza from Brooklyn (still get bread when I go, but that's another story lol). But I use the same standard here as I did in Brooklyn - if an Italian man doesn't answer the phone screaming at you when you call to order a pie, hang up and call someplace else.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM

456 posts, read 835,966 times
I'm studying out of state currently (PA), and I can say for sure that one thing I really haven't found is good pizza and bagels here or anywhere in US I've gone. I miss Jersey in general a lot and go back often.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 PM

667 posts, read 1,748,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
I'm studying out of state currently (PA), and I can say for sure that one thing I really haven't found is good pizza and bagels here or anywhere in US I've gone. I miss Jersey in general a lot and go back often.
reminds me of my college days in Rochester NY. Finally I found heaven with the best wings one can have. So hey, why not order pizza. Ugghh. Had to give up pizza for years...but I kept up with my wing orders...oh and the Rochester 'garbage plate' was a good filler once in a while Dem' were the days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey