Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I guess I'm just selfish...I really wanted a direct commute, so I think this sucks.
Take the 148 then.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1148.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I guess I'm just selfish...I really wanted a direct commute, so I think this sucks. I could care less about the other rail projects since I don't utilize any of those services...I guess it's kind of how everyone else here, who is against the tunnel, feels...since it won't benefit them they are against it.
But the fact is that it DOES benefit them. They would not be happy with the traffic, NOR the pollution, if we all drove to our jobs. We would not be, either.

But this particular project has many issues. Nexis has described many of them. After all my hollering, I need to say I agree with him ... especially since AMTRAK has a project to build some new tunnels. Let's just hope THAT project isn't scuttled, or NYC will be very vulnerable to future attacks.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
But the fact is that it DOES benefit them. They would not be happy with the traffic, NOR the pollution, if we all drove to our jobs. We would not be, either.

But this particular project has many issues. Nexis is describing many of them. After all my hollering, I need to say I agree with him ... especially since AMTRAK has a project to build some new tunnels. Let's just hope THAT project isn't scuttled, or NYC will be very vulnerable to future attacks.
Amtrak's plan will happen , they tend to always put alot of thought and research into things before building them.....

Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,055 times
ABSOLUTE DISASTER

I should never voted for christie, lesson learned for voting republican.

The population growth NNJ is experiencing is unsustainable with the current infrastructure, much less 5-10 years down the road. Our ancient tunnels and path train is already OVER max capacity, anyone riding/driving through them can attest to that. It's one of the major blocks for future growth in NJ. And growth is what's keeping NJ alive, to help the tax burden and your property values.

Instead of fixing the actual problems with NJ - over government/municipalities/duplicate high paying functions etc.. He decide to kill a PURE infrastructure project that will provide tremendous long term value to NJ, also creating many direct jobs and significant dependent economic stimulus indirectly, while the construction is in progress. On top of losing the free money given to the state for it.

And if it's a few billion overbudget right now, it will be many times that overbudget in 5-10 years when they are forced to build it anyway.

Such short sightedness is incomprehensible for someone in such position. I dont know what else to say...

Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM

431 posts, read 942,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
ABSOLUTE DISASTER

The population growth NNJ is experiencing is unsustainable with the current infrastructure, much less 5-10 years down the road. Our ancient tunnels and path train is already OVER max capacity, anyone riding/driving through them can attest to that. It's one of the major blocks for future growth in NJ. And growth is what's keeping NJ alive, to help the tax burden and your property values.

Instead of fixing the actual problems with NJ - over government/municipalities/duplicate high paying functions etc.. He decide to kill a PURE infrastructure project that will provide tremendous long term value to NJ, also creating many direct jobs and significant dependent economic stimulus indirectly, while the construction is in progress. On top of losing the free money given to the state for it.

And if it's a few billion overbudget right now, it will be many times that overbudget in 5-10 years when they are forced to build it anyway.

Such short sightedness is incomprehensible for someone in such position. I dont know what else to say...

That means its time to move out of the area instead of cramming more people in. I'm glad the project is killed most of the jobs created from the project were given to connected cronies.

Christie did the right thing

GO CHRISTIE!! Run for president!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
time to move out of the area instead of cramming more people in
Such ignorance...

Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Such ignorance...
Amen

Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
That means its time to move out of the area instead of cramming more people in. I'm glad the project is killed most of the jobs created from the project were given to connected cronies.

Christie did the right thing

GO CHRISTIE!! Run for president!
LOL , We live in the Bos-Wash Corridor , in 30 years Urban Jersey will cover all of Essex , Bergen , union Counties. As long as you build developments around train stations like many towns and cities are now doing you can cut down on region congestion but we do need more connections the system is to small at the moment. By 2040 The Bos-Wash Corridor will expand to the Portland-Norfolk - Harrisburg corridor.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
ABSOLUTE DISASTER

This is the problem altogether, though. Should the entire state be put billions of dollars in debt just so a select few in North Jersey can have a shorter ride to work? That's absolutely insane to me, especially at a time when property taxes and the cost of living is so high that people are having to make the difficult decision of LEAVING New Jersey.

Additionally, the growth up north is NOT coming in the form of taxpayers. It's coming in the form of tax consumers. North Jersey's suburbs are built out. There is no more room for growth in any of these places. The growth is coming in form of low-income families, immigrants (legal and illegal) and others in the urban areas on effective welfare from the wealthy suburbs. The real suburban growth is occurring in central New Jersey at the moment. If they want to invest in ANY kind of rail lines, it should be the MOM line - not a "tunnel to nowhere" that will benefit a small number of people who can certainly "make due" with what we already have.

The way some of you people want to spend money when the state is ALREADY BROKE is just mind-boggling. Unless you're all multi-millionaires and can afford even HIGHER living costs in this state.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post

The way some of you people want to spend money when the state is ALREADY BROKE is just mind-boggling. Unless you're all multi-millionaires and can afford even HIGHER living costs in this state.
Well said. Our state won't dig itself out of the hole by digging even deeper into debt. We simply cannot afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey