Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Once the Amtrak plan is done by 2025ish it will benefit the entire region , allowing for almost all Rail lines in Central and Northern Jersey to be restored , more lines into PA , lines into Delaware and Maryland. Since the system feeds into NYC this plan is key. Thats just for West of the River , the new station and East River Tunnels will allow for the restoration of Metro North lines in the Lower Hudson Valley and CT and Amtrak Expansion in New England. The New Station will allow for 3x the Capacity of the current one and New HSR / Intercity services to Upstate NY and Quebec. The NJT plan will only allow for a few Rail restorations and when you look at it , its less bang for your buck. The Amtrak plan is 4 New Tunnels and a Larger station for 11-15 Billion $$ and the NJT plan is a New Smaller station and 2 New Tunnels for 9-12 Billion $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:13 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Once the Amtrak plan is done by 2025ish it will benefit the entire region , allowing for almost all Rail lines in Central and Northern Jersey to be restored , more lines into PA , lines into Delaware and Maryland. Since the system feeds into NYC this plan is key. Thats just for West of the River , the new station and East River Tunnels will allow for the restoration of Metro North lines in the Lower Hudson Valley and CT and Amtrak Expansion in New England. The New Station will allow for 3x the Capacity of the current one and New HSR / Intercity services to Upstate NY and Quebec. The NJT plan will only allow for a few Rail restorations and when you look at it , its less bang for your buck. The Amtrak plan is 4 New Tunnels and a Larger station for 11-15 Billion $$ and the NJT plan is a New Smaller station and 2 New Tunnels for 9-12 Billion $$$.
I pray to God that Amtrak can pay for its plan.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I pray to God that Amtrak can pay for its plan.
The Feds will pick up that plan.....or a Private Source...

Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i do appreciate that, id love for them all to get off the road to make my commute go by more quickly. but they have to pay for it just like i pay for my car, gas, auto insurance, etc. etc. and every company that i buy each product from is making a profit (or trying to).

let a private company build the tunnel, pay for the tunnel without any government help and let them charge a fare that allows them to earn a profit.
Do you also pay for whatever it cost to build I-95, GSP and all the other highways in NJ? How about we make all highway construction in the state private, with no government help?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Do you also pay for whatever it cost to build I-95, GSP and all the other highways in NJ? How about we make all highway construction in the state private, with no government help?
Hmmm I would say he does in the form of tolls that were supposed to expire once those roads were paid for....

Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmmm I would say he does in the form of tolls that were supposed to expire once those roads were paid for....
Yes but after subtracting maintenance costs and the cost of actually collecting the tolls, it would take decades to get the money back. No private company would make such a long term commitment.

And most highways don't even have tolls - I-78, I-80, I-287 etc let alone US Routes and state roads.

All I'm saying is that people should apply equal standards both to mass transit and vehicular traffic infrastructure.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
All I'm saying is that people should apply equal standards both to mass transit and vehicular traffic infrastructure.
Sorry njkate, but I agree with MrMarbles here. Many people only want the government to subsidize the modes that affect them DIRECTLY, it seems. They lack the insight to see where a subsidy for a mode they don't predominantly use might actually benefit them. Like gasoline, if the roadways were not heavily subsidized, we would not have the traffic (nor the pollution) problems we see in today's world.

Last edited by pvs; 10-11-2010 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
If the Federal Government can pay for a train in Orlando-Tampa, which is essentially a train for the aging Disney World that can not keep its customers in its hotels because it has no beach, than they can dish out money for transit projects in the Northeast which is the life blood of this nation. A rail line is more important here then in some swamp(Florida) that has no jobs to speak of and is know as the low wage capital of America.
Doesn't help if the governor is TURNING DOWN the federal money, which is the case with the ARC Tunnel. The US Secretary of Transportation was a bit peeved that Christie made the decision without consulting the people who were donating a chunk of the funding. Looks like the cancellation decision might be on hold:

Transportation chief says he believes Christie will listen to tunnel options - NorthJersey.com

Old 10-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Doesn't help if the governor is TURNING DOWN the federal money, which is the case with the ARC Tunnel. The US Secretary of Transportation was a bit peeved that Christie made the decision without consulting the people who were donating a chunk of the money. Looks like the cancellation decision might be on hold:

Transportation chief says he believes Christie will listen to tunnel options - NorthJersey.com
I hope he pushes the Amtrak plan , because now Amtrak is threating to cut NJT's slots at NY Penn station.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I hope he pushes the Amtrak plan , because now Amtrak is threating to cut NJT's slots at NY Penn station.
To do what with? They haven't been profitable since their birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey