Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I long for the day we get to choose and pick the channels we want (and pay accordingly)
Pay? ? ?
They're supposed to pay YOU to watch TV.

I still can't fathom how paying for TV got to be such a popular thing, creeping in bit by bit over the years. Cable service used to be about $8 a month when it first started. Even then it was against my principles to pay for TV since to me its in the air free to be received.

Anyway it just doesn't seem right that so many people bought into that deal, oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
I haven't found a reason to have cable TV ever since I got high speed internet in late 90s.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Verizon is awful. The customer service is absolutely terrible.
every survery conducted by every ratings group disagrees with that. i've been a vzw customer for almost a decade now. switched from ATT when their customer service tanked earlier this decade. VZW corrects everything i ever have an issue with. i dunno - just was surprised at that comment i guess. everyone's experience is different. but it's funny since that's what VZW is known for - great customer service.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
That's funny to me. I have always considered broadcast television REAL TV, and the rest a bunch of kids playing with cables.

I mean the whole foundation of television is based on and started by real broadcast TV.
you're right. it's where it started. but look at the quality of television shows that exist on premium channels nows - AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime, etc. Network television is good for the masses i guess, but it's not quality TV anymore.

i hardly watch any network shows now. bill simmons had a good podcast talking about all the new tv shows, and he was making fun of network tv. it was funny.

i was half joking though. obviously free tv is awesome no matter what it is!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Does anyone have experience with both Cablevision and FIOS? I imagine the broadcasts are about the same, but my questions are about the commercials. I am currently on CATV, and have no experience with any of the alternatives.

1) I find on many channels that the duration of the commercials is getting longer and longer, and the content shorter and shorter. Guess this is universal, but boy, watching TV is getting really sucky lately.

2) The volume (sound) of the commercials is SO GD loud it's ridiculous! We've got to constantly have the remote in hand to mute the ads when they come up ... and then go have a cup of coffee for ten minutes while they run. Is FIOS as bad in this respect? Is there any device I can add to my setup to make the volume stay reasonably the same between the shows and the ads?

3) What about the newer ads that are put beneath, overlayed on top of the show being watched? Does FIOS do this, too? I imagine this is also part of the programming, so it's probably the same. I absolutely HATE IT, especially when it covers up something important, such as a subtitle/translation. And SO f--k--g distracting.

[RANT]Personally, I feel we pay too much for this stuff already. It's much higher than our electric bills! Why do we need to PAY to see these ****ed commercials?!?! That was NOT the original plan when pay-tv was introduced.[/RANT]
FiOS > Cablevision in speed of internet and picture quality. By far. i really didn't expect such a huge difference, but it really is substantial. Cablevision customer service was manageable. The people were generally nice and helpful. but there were never solutions to the pixelation of the picture. FiOS customer service is pretty bad, but you have less instances where you need it.

1 - duration of shows is still basically the same. 22 minutes for a half hour show, 46 minutes for an hour show. this hasn't really changed over the years and has nothing to do with your television provider.
2 - commercial volume will always be louder. it's so you can hear the commercial while you're walking down the hall to take a leak or into the kitchen to get a coffee!

get a dvr and never watch a commercial again!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
every survery conducted by every ratings group disagrees with that. i've been a vzw customer for almost a decade now. switched from ATT when their customer service tanked earlier this decade. VZW corrects everything i ever have an issue with. i dunno - just was surprised at that comment i guess. everyone's experience is different. but it's funny since that's what VZW is known for - great customer service.
You have actually been able to get a real live person at Verizon???? Do tell what is your secret??

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You have actually been able to get a real live person at Verizon???? Do tell what is your secret??
verizon wireless or verizon? verizon (for FiOS) takes like 5-10 minutes to get a person. that's why i think their service is horrible. verizon wireless i get a person in less than a minute every time i call.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
verizon wireless or verizon? verizon (for FiOS) takes like 5-10 minutes to get a person. that's why i think their service is horrible. verizon wireless i get a person in less than a minute every time i call.
Verizon..one of the reasons I dumped them on landline phone. Our area doesn't have FIOS

Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
In the past 3.5 years I've had Fios I have had to call a few times, the most major issue wasn't even because of Verizon, it was the battery back up that got fried during an electrical storm. The other time was I would not recieve 10 or so different channels that all three other T.Vs recived, that also wasn't a Verizon problem it was an old cable wire I had ran into my room over 15 years ago, and it was just so old it didn't carry the signal as it should have. But my experiences with calling Fios for help were always good and they did what ever they needed to do to get my service going 100%. I have no complaints about the Fios service, and I've been happy with it since day one.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i wish i had FIOS or Uverse as an option - I can only get Dish/DirecTV or Comcast. Abhor Comcast, so we have DirecTV. We will get some pixelation or lost signals during bad storms, but it's not bad.
Trust me, tahiti, you don't want Uverse. It's pretend FiOS. Go to the Charlotte board & search Uverse. Start with this one. //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ll-advice.html Enjoy! That one will give you a feel for it.

If available, FiOS is the answer on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey