Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times

Advertisements

FYI: Here's part of the official FCC line:

What can I do while WNYW, WWOR, and WTXF are not available on Cablevision systems?

If you wish to view WNYW, WWOR, or WTXF, you may be able to use one of the following
options to continue viewing the station:
1. Subscribe to another pay service that is carrying the station. In the affected areas, other
available pay services include: AT&T, DIRECTV, DISH Network, RCN (limited areas of
Brooklyn), and Verizon FIOS. NOTE: Not all of these pay service providers are available
throughout Cablevision’s service areas in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. You
should contact the pay service provider to determine whether they provide service to your
residence. In addition, you should be aware that DISH’s agreement for these stations is set to
expire on November 1 unless a new agreement is reached between DISH and Fox.
2. Watch the station (and other broadcasting stations) over the air using an antenna and a digital
television.
3. Watch the station (and other broadcasting stations) over the air using an antenna and an
analog television attached to a digital-to-analog converter box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Old 10-17-2010, 06:05 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default Inclement weather knocked out my DSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i love FiOS. i'm done with cablevision and would never go comcast. satellite is good, but i keep hearing from people that a snowstorm or some heavy rain knocks the signal out. so i dunno...

they all go through these disputes though. blame the networks just as much as the cable companies.
I've not yet had FIOS, but I can affirm that heavy rain sometimes knocked out my Verizon DSL. (And in seven years, Verizon couldn't find/fix the problem.)

No problems this summer/autumn since switching to cable modem with Cablevision.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
I think Verizon Wireless and Verizon FIOS, customer service are two different departments.
Technically they're two different companies. Verizon (as in Verizon Corp.) only owns half of Verizon Wireless. The other half is owned by Vodafone.

Both Verizon and Vodafone hate this relationship and each would love to buy the other out, but it's always been blocked every time one of them tried to do it.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
I am giving them until Wednesday. I get satellite at that point. I am not going to risk not getting the world series and the Giants on TV.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am giving them until Wednesday. I get satellite at that point. I am not going to risk not getting the world series and the Giants on TV.
Just keep in mind that Direct TV's agreement with news corp is set to expire on Nov. 1st and they too are having disputes.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
It's intersting to read the issues people have had with their different services, every one has something right? Since I've got Fios and even before that when it was just Verizon DSL I never had a problem loosing service due to "service interuptions" my modem started to go bad but that was due to age. If Verizon has a no contract plan and you can try out the service for a while or cancel after 30-60-90 days or what ever I would try it. You never know, all these people can't be wrong about the same thing, if everyone had issues then I would stay away... but from my experiences and others here it sounds pretty ok.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM

7 posts, read 16,198 times
Hi! I got FiOS..the best switch I have ever made after a long time!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:01 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default Before you switch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
1) Try putting rabbit ears on top of your TV first. Since the signal is now digital, it's amazing how clear a picture you can get... even a little further away from the City.

2) Cablevision has done an adequate job of convincing me that Newscorp is the bad guy in this dispute. (And no... anticipating the question, neither I nor anyone in my family or circle of influence works for Cablevision.)

Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 PM

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't have an antenna and either a newer digital TV or a converter box, you don't have TV period. With all the pay services you are at their mercy no matter what, weather, outages, contract disputes, etc.

Closer in to NYC & Philly you can use smaller antennas, indoor, further out you'll need a real antenna either in the attic or outdoors, but that is still the primary way to get TV.

There are several websites where you enter your location address and they'll estimate your reception such as tvfool.com and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey