Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 04:16 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

[quote=NJBest;29224148]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

UPS drivers are not timed. Their union takes care of them.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

19 Secrets of UPS Drivers | Mental Floss

To Increase Productivity, UPS Monitors Drivers' Every Move : Planet Money : NPR

As previous poster stated just as with telephone operators, customer service reps, telemarketers and virtually anyone else who makes contact with the pubic in a service capacity time is money. Their actions are monitored and timed to examine if things are going in accordance with set procedures. If they aren't someone is sat down and or sent for "retraining". Failing that an entry can be made on their record and even termination is in the cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 07:12 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
And last time I was inside the UPS loading area (my local UPS receives packages from the public there at the busy Christmas time), there were signs, posters and exhortations everywhere, with drivers' stats on them.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
I'm expecting a new credit card to be delivered today via UPS (there was fraudulent activity on mine so it needed to be reissued) The bank said they'd ship it no signature required, although UPS might ask for one. Luckily, I work from home so I will be here to get the package.

I use the UPS app on my iPhone - it tells me when I should be expecting a delivery and gives me a time window.

I have no complaints about UPS, the drivers leave the package on my front porch, sheltered from the elements. I cannot say the same about the USPS. Our newish postal carrier refuses to put packages on my porch. Instead she leaves them in our driveway, often leaning up against the garage door. This is ok if I'm expecting a package, however, if I don't know one is coming, and I open the garage door, the package falls over and there's a real chance that I might run it over when backing out my car. I order a lot of vinyl LPs, and even though I've left notes not to leave packages in the hot sun during summer months (the heat can warp the records) the carrier simply refuses to put the packages on the porch. It's obvious that I'm home, the front door is always open, yet she won't walk the few steps to my porch. Our previous carrier was a wonderful woman who would bring the packages to the front door, along with the rest of my mail, and bring biscuits for my dogs.

There is another woman who on a rare occasion does the route, and always brings packages to the porch, so it's not like they're not supposed to do so. In the big scheme of things, it's certainly not a major problem, but it is frustrating.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
A few weeks ago I ordered an item and it was shipped via US Postal Service 2-day priority mail. It took 3 days for the package to arrive. I don't see how that type of service is acceptable, especially when you pay extra for the 2-day service. I have never had a problem with UPS delivering packages late.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
I'm expecting a new credit card to be delivered today via UPS (there was fraudulent activity on mine so it needed to be reissued) The bank said they'd ship it no signature required, although UPS might ask for one. Luckily, I work from home so I will be here to get the package.

I use the UPS app on my iPhone - it tells me when I should be expecting a delivery and gives me a time window.

I have no complaints about UPS, the drivers leave the package on my front porch, sheltered from the elements. I cannot say the same about the USPS. Our newish postal carrier refuses to put packages on my porch. Instead she leaves them in our driveway, often leaning up against the garage door. This is ok if I'm expecting a package, however, if I don't know one is coming, and I open the garage door, the package falls over and there's a real chance that I might run it over when backing out my car. I order a lot of vinyl LPs, and even though I've left notes not to leave packages in the hot sun during summer months (the heat can warp the records) the carrier simply refuses to put the packages on the porch. It's obvious that I'm home, the front door is always open, yet she won't walk the few steps to my porch. Our previous carrier was a wonderful woman who would bring the packages to the front door, along with the rest of my mail, and bring biscuits for my dogs.

There is another woman who on a rare occasion does the route, and always brings packages to the porch, so it's not like they're not supposed to do so. In the big scheme of things, it's certainly not a major problem, but it is frustrating.

USPS has sort of the same service as UPS. You create an account and it will send you "tracking" information via email as to when mail (certified, registered) and or packages are arriving. https://www.usps.com/manage/myusps.htm

Old 12-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
A few weeks ago I ordered an item and it was shipped via US Postal Service 2-day priority mail. It took 3 days for the package to arrive. I don't see how that type of service is acceptable, especially when you pay extra for the 2-day service. I have never had a problem with UPS delivering packages late.

USPS clearly states that PM is *NOT* guaranteed service. Only Priority Mail Express/One Day (formerly Express Mail) comes with any sort of promise.

Only thing "priority" about the service is if mail has to go on a truck, plane or whatever it goes first over say First Class.

With USPS having closed down so many sorting centers mail now has to go further and take some odd trips after leaving your post office and before arriving at the local PO for where it is to be delivered.

Only thing good about PM is it comes with free "tracking/delivery confirmation" and basic insurance versus say First Class Mail. That and if you are shipping heavy things and can fit them into any of the flat rate boxes.

Unlike UPS, USPS does not own airplanes but must rely upon private carriers. So in theory they cannot promise delivery in two days like the former because they are at the mercy of the airlines.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I am still waiting on a package that was shipped USPS 2 day priority mail on 12/1 and tracking says it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow 12/11!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:13 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
USPS has sort of the same service as UPS. You create an account and it will send you "tracking" information via email as to when mail (certified, registered) and or packages are arriving. https://www.usps.com/manage/myusps.htm
I use that service as well, but unfortunately, it is not updated as frequently. Many times I'll check the progress of a package and days after it was shipped, it still says something like "left post office in whatever town" or simply "in transit".

Still, at least I have some idea of when an item should be arriving.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Unlike UPS, USPS does not own airplanes but must rely upon private carriers. So in theory they cannot promise delivery in two days like the former because they are at the mercy of the airlines.
USPS has a contract with FedEx until 2020 to move its Overnight, First Class (Air routed), priority(Air routed) Mail.

Overnight Goes out with the FedEx Overnight and goes (more or less) thru the same sort that the FedEx Overnight Letters/Packages go thru.

FirstClass/Priority Goes out as FedEx 2nd Day Air, Normally on a later Airplane that night, or on the Plane that brings in the Overnight mail/packages the next morning.

(Depending on the available space on the planes, If there is space they send out out "Sooner", But if there is not space it get out on the "next Flight".)

Old 12-11-2015, 02:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Amazon is spending billions this Xmas on many routes using their own delivery people and cutting out all 3rd party deliveries. This could mean the end of Fedex/UPS no door bell deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey