Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times

Advertisements

EWR - Newark is almost right next to Jersey City, in other words you don't have to cross 2 rivers, don't have to go through NY City, etc. You could take the EWR Monorail to the train station across the highway from the airport, go 1 stop on the NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station, then you can take a PATH train which is $1.75 to Jersey City. Or just catch a cab to J City.

The other two NYC area airports are in Long Island on the other side of Manhattan Island so you will have to cross 2 rivers and go through Manhattan Island to get to NJ and mainland USA.

La Guardia is closer than JFK airport and I think you might sometimes get a cheaper flight but you have to factor in the cost of either one of those private minibuses or a NYC bus and subway to Manhattan then a PATH train to J City.

JFK is furthest out. There is an air train that connects to the subway or train system.

If you search under Port Authority NY NJ then go to airports they have transportation links online.

Overall I would try to fly into Newark EWR as it is practically next to J City, you can take a relatively short train ride or cab. The other 2 airports are on Long Island, the other side of Manhattan from J City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
EWR - Newark is almost right next to Jersey City, in other words you don't have to cross 2 rivers, don't have to go through NY City, etc. You could take the EWR Monorail to the train station across the highway from the airport, go 1 stop on the NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station, then you can take a PATH train which is $1.75 to Jersey City. Or just catch a cab to J City.

The other two NYC area airports are in Long Island on the other side of Manhattan Island so you will have to cross 2 rivers and go through Manhattan Island to get to NJ and mainland USA.

La Guardia is closer than JFK airport and I think you might sometimes get a cheaper flight but you have to factor in the cost of either one of those private minibuses or a NYC bus and subway to Manhattan then a PATH train to J City.

JFK is furthest out. There is an air train that connects to the subway or train system.

If you search under Port Authority NY NJ then go to airports they have transportation links online.

Overall I would try to fly into Newark EWR as it is practically next to J City, you can take a relatively short train ride or cab. The other 2 airports are on Long Island, the other side of Manhattan from J City.
I agree. OP, calculate your transit costs from LGA or JFK -vs- paying more to fly into EWR. If the differential is that much, go with LGA, but if it's minimal taking all the costs into account, EWR is the best choice by a mile.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I agree. OP, calculate your transit costs from LGA or JFK -vs- paying more to fly into EWR. If the differential is that much, go with LGA, but if it's minimal taking all the costs into account, EWR is the best choice by a mile.
Guys we keep throwing EWR in this guys face. He stated that there aren't any reasonable rates for the dates/ times he needs. I'm pretty sure someone who is consulting an online discussion forum can at least use expedia(if not kayak, priceline, or hotwire) to search flight deals with multiple airports. Keep in mind that this person is taking a family of 3. A difference in $200 per ticket = $600! since a cab for 3 people will only cost a $100 each way and at most 3-4 hours out of their day( 2hours each way) they're looking at a net savings of at least $400! That is a lot of money. And who knows it could even be more. Obviously if their saving $50 a ticket its not worth it.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:33 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Guys we keep throwing EWR in this guys face. He stated that there aren't any reasonable rates for the dates/ times he needs. I'm pretty sure someone who is consulting an online discussion forum can at least use expedia(if not kayak, priceline, or hotwire) to search flight deals with multiple airports. Keep in mind that this person is taking a family of 3. A difference in $200 per ticket = $600! since a cab for 3 people will only cost a $100 each way and at most 3-4 hours out of their day( 2hours each way) they're looking at a net savings of at least $400! That is a lot of money. And who knows it could even be more. Obviously if their saving $50 a ticket its not worth it.
How do we know what the savings is? $150 for this guy ($50x3) may be a lot and cause him to look at other airports, especially since they *seem* so close yet can cost an arm and leg and a shi*load of time to get to JC.

Just telling him to consider all costs, that's all. No need to lecture.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
White Plains , Stewert , Philly , LGA , theres not that many......i would try Amtrak takes 3 days form LA to Chicago to NYC.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
How do we know what the savings is? $150 for this guy ($50x3) may be a lot and cause him to look at other airports, especially since they *seem* so close yet can cost an arm and leg and a shi*load of time to get to JC.

Just telling him to consider all costs, that's all. No need to lecture.
Lecturing is what everyone here seems to be doing in this case. All OP asked was: how long does it take and how much does it cost. I was simply giving an example to try and squash all the nonsense. The OP is more than capable of making their own decision based on the facts some of which are known only to the OP.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM

55 posts, read 248,537 times
It sounds like you want a nonstop flight, ans since there aren't any nonstop flights from SFO -> LGA, so you can rule that out.

So then the choice is between EWR and JFK. EWR will be much more convenient, but you already stated it was too expensive. Therefore your only option is to fly into JFK.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
I don't know if there's a direct/no-stop flight from Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY, but check that out also.
Forget that. I flew cross country training flights up there in the 60's and it was almost 45 minutes by Cessna. the cost of land travel to JC will outweigh any cost savings.

Bethlehem???? That's easily an hour and a half plus by car with zero traffic. Costs?? Probably more than the flight itself.

JFK has subway service into NYC / Penn Station which can easily get you close to JC.
Getting To And From JFK Airport - How To Get To and From JFK - John F Kennedy Airport

Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

83 posts, read 279,201 times
I frequently fly from North Carolina with my ultimate destination Jersey City.

Laguardia (sp) (LGA) is probably your best bet....

If you are not overburdened with luggage, consider the Express Bus to Manhattan for $10.00 (or the city bus for 2.25)

From there you can take a cab or other public transit (or walk) to the PATH train station at 34th street and 6th Avenue, and take the PATH (sortof like a longish subway) to Jersey City for $1.75

--diogenesNY

Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,859 times
I was going to ask something similar. I'm flying from NJ to Orange County, CA and I was wondering if Newark is the best airport as far as leaving my car there and all that. Anyone know how expensive that is? It's definitely the most convienient for me since it's only about a 30 minutes drive.

The flight I found is $380 non-stop on Expedia. I'm not sure how old the OP's child is but another option for a family is by train. Granted, it takes 2.5 days but you can get a family cabin with a bathroom and bed for $1000 and to me, it would be pretty fun. I love train rides though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey