Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,663 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are narrowing in on our first home together. We are very close to moving into a very nice cape-cod house in South Plainfield,and we don’t see anything wrong with the area:it's a mere 4-5 blocks from the historic section of Plainfield. However, my relatives who live nearby tell me that, when it comes to the Middlesex-Union-Somerset county area, we could do much better than South Plainfield. Are they correct? We know nothing about the area because we are from Pennsylvania. I will be working in New Brunswick and my soon-to-be wife works at home. Is South Plainfield inferior to places like Piscataway, Edison, Colonia, Highland Park, etc? Or is my family misleading me? Could we do better, in terms of crime, schools, and quality of life????

Last edited by geoffM.D.; 07-06-2007 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffM.D. View Post
...we don’t see anything wrong with the area
Personally-I think this is all you should be concerned about. However, if you're curious-did you check out the other areas? Did your well-meaning relatives speak up before you made an offer on the house?? If they're anything like my relatives the answer is probably NOPE I can't give you any information on the towns you listed, but my situation is similar in that I moved to a town in my area that, while growing up, was looked down on a bit by my family and some friends who grew up in surrounding towns. We love where we are at and are very happy with the choice we made. If you like your house and neighborhood, feel you will be safe and are comfortable with what you will be paying in mortgage and taxes, then I say tell your relatives thank you very much for their opinions & you hope to see them at your South Plainfield house warming party

Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
My fiancée and I are narrowing in on our first home together. We are very close to moving into a very nice cape-cod house in South Plainfield,and we don’t see anything wrong with the area:it's a mere 4-5 blocks from the historic section of Plainfield. However, my relatives who live nearby tell me that, when it comes to the Middlesex-Union-Somerset county area, we could do much better than South Plainfield. Are they correct? We know nothing about the area because we are from Pennsylvania. I will be working in New Brunswick and my soon-to-be wife works at home. Is South Plainfield inferior to places like Piscataway, Edison, Colonia, Highland Park, etc? Or is my family misleading me? Could we do better, in terms of crime, schools, and quality of life????
is the location close enough to hear the sirens and gun shots from plainfield? if yes, I would suggest looking elsewhere

Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 PM

11 posts, read 55,860 times
Default It's not that bad

If you live in South Plainfield you can feel superior to the poor souls who live in Plainfield.

Quote:
is the location close enough to hear the sirens and gun shots from plainfield? if yes, I would suggest looking elsewhere
This is actually unfair and not true. The section of Plainfield that actual neighbors South Plainfield is not crime-ridden at all and some blocks are pretty. Now...the section that borders Scotch Plains and Fanwood is pretty dangerous. In South Plainfield you would be very far away from the scariness.

You should live where you can afford, and where you'll be happy. However, if you will always be ashamed that you live in South Plainfield maybe you should look elsewhere.

Last edited by NJFLgirl; 07-06-2007 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: those darn missing words.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 AM

31 posts, read 225,796 times
Pricewise, you got yourself a good town. The Sleepy Hollow section of Plainfield doesn't allow anyone with less than half a million to get a cottage. I think the former gov paid $6mil for his place. Somerset County in general is overpriced because of the # of soccer moms in it.

SP has a decent school system, has a bit of a downtown, but it's also close to major highways and bigblock stores. Of all the Plainfields, SP has the least gangs (oh all the other towns that your family mentioned are not gang free either). Plus you are near one of the best European style bakeries evah... Haisch's.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:15 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
South Plainfield is a good safe town - except maybe the areas right on the border of Plainfield. S. Plainfield is tiny but the S. Plainfield cops keep it very safe.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:05 AM

119 posts, read 240,487 times
Quote:
South Plainfield has been moving UP a lot for recent years, you see brand new Target, Bear Rock Cafe, No Sweat, Hampton Inn, Highland Apt, Tradition Condo (mayor live there) ...etc. there is reason for it. South Plainfield is right next to Piscataway, in fact, Middlesex Mall and Hadely Center are kind of belong to both, and also next to Edison. They are all getting safer each year.

Have you checked out the huge Hong Kong Supermarket at South Plainfield? Also, China Buffet? If you do, you know many Asian/Chinese moving into the area, and they normally very sensetive on school and safety, so that proves South Plainfield is good town to live and will be better each year.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,735 times
SP is a strictly blue collar town. A good place to get your first starter home. For some SP is all they need, for others they move on to more high profile towns.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 46,437 times
I also think referring to "gun shots" and "poor people" is a very unfair statement. It amazes me how snobby people view others of social and economic imbalance. There are some very good areas with good people in South Plainfield and North Plainfield. I live in Fanwood and I have never felt threatened or in danger at my home or when I have had to go to Plainfield for business or shopping, but I also don't hold any social/economic prejudice.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:38 PM

26 posts, read 115,879 times
If you're thinking about South Plainfield, why not look at Franklin Township in Somerset. We moved to Somerset (Franklin Township) a few years back and we really enjoy it.

Franklin Township is diverse and many neighborhoods provide you with safety, community and close proximity to the city. Check out the Franklin Township website: Township of Franklin -Somerset County NJ

Great article on Franklin Township/Somerset:
If You're Thinking of Living In/Somerset, N.J.; Diversity, Stability and Convenience - New York Times

Last edited by SomersetLife; 08-16-2007 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey