Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,072,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I have no idea what your deal is, but it's pretty clear you have some SERIOUS trust issues with this chick if you're researching cohabitation and palimony laws in NJ and asking strangers on City Data for relationship advice. Furthermore, it sound like you have very little to no confidence that this woman will live up to your particular standards of 'stability' and be more on an equal playing field with you financially. In that case, I question not only why you would consider letting her move in, I also question why you are with her at all? What kind of a relationship is that?
you are on the right track.

regarding "trust" -- when do we really know ?

I have friends who were married for 20 years, then divorced, and said "they became a totally different person"... I don't buy that.

our bodies can change, but it is a scientific fact that our personalities are SET by the time we are 12 years old.

I'm not looking for relationship advice, that's too complicated for this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Why would she able to get any money from you if you let her live in your place and then it didnt work out?

It is not like you are getting married. Unless she lived at your place for 5+ years, I do not see how it would be an issue to let her live with you. (I am not an expert though)
I've heard it can be as little as 12 months, nevermind 5 years

Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
If her own parents are throwing her out, there must be something you either don't know or haven't mentioned. If you "rescue" her then the lesson her parents are trying to teach her will not be learned.

There is no reason why she doesn't have any kind of job - even McDonald's is hiring. Artist is nice, but if it doesn't pay the bills, who is responsible for her? It should not be everyone else, it should be HERSELF.
indeed.

re: her parents -- they are selfish, miserable people

Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
yes.

I've seen too many of my fellow men get cleaned out, in NJ courts, under similar circumstances...
So you have seen unmarried men get cleaned out by the courts by letting a woman live with them?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 AM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
thank you my virtual brother.

I want to believe in the fairy tale... in fate...

it's the age old "brain vs. heart" debate
I know it's not a relationship forum, but look at your past patterns too when determining if you should make this move or not. If you have a history of trying to rescue damsels in distress, stay away, you're repeating a pattern.

Is the girl just a struggling artist having a tough time, or is she irresponsible? Only you can answer that.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 AM

614 posts, read 1,377,148 times
Some questions... How old is she? has she ever had a drivers license, a job a car and a bank acct? did she just move back home from living in the city or else where? Is she a responsible person? Even "artists" have real jobs until there artisitic talents take off. So whats her deal? Remember one thing, shes not the only female out there. Some actualy contribute to society, and their BF's rent....if they want to live there.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you have seen unmarried men get cleaned out by the courts by letting a woman live with them?

if you read the article that I linked to (in the first post on this thread), you'd see the answer is yes

Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Some questions... How old is she? has she ever had a drivers license, a job a car and a bank acct? did she just move back home from living in the city or else where? Is she a responsible person? Even "artists" have real jobs until there artisitic talents take off. So whats her deal? Remember one thing, shes not the only female out there. Some actualy contribute to society, and their BF's rent....if they want to live there.
again, I don't want this discussion to be about her -- just hoping to learn more about how this topic plays out in NJ...

Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,673,784 times
Quote:
if you read the article that I linked to (in the first post on this thread), you'd see the answer is yes
Umm the article you referenced is about Palimony not division of property. So you can't get cleaned out of anything. Cohabitation gives you no claim to property that is owned solely by one party or the other. That includes houses, cars,stock portfolios, bank accounts etc. All that is safe if you are unmarried. As an aside the case you referenced is over 2 years old. Since then the NJ state legislature has pased laws more clearly defining the issue and getting palimony if you are not married is harder than ever. Basically everything has to be in writing for you to get anything.

See this link for more info..

New Palimony Law in New Jersey

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM

614 posts, read 1,377,148 times
This is for the original question asked in the begining, just don't let her move in. Don't think about it just don't do it, maybe finding someone closer to how you are may be better. If she is going to cause you more problems then shes worth then it's time to move on, if you had a car that was always breaking down and you could find the same thing with less miles and less issues would you keep the old one? Probably not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: