Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times

Advertisements

I tried to search the forums on this topic, and the only thing I found was this --

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...rt-ruling.html

the sitch :

me -- decent paying job, own my residence, some savings, no debts, stable in every sense

she -- no job, no savings, no driver's license, no debts, an "artist"

...living with her parents at the moment, but they're threatening to throw her out on the street.

I'd be happy to have her move in, but given the disparity mentioned above, I'm concerned about the future.

I did some web research on this, and all the legalistic stuff made my head spin...

any & all comments greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
Umm get a girlfriend with a job, a car,a drivers license, a bank account, or let her move in and either A. get married and you take 100% of the finacial burden or B. not get married and take 100% of the finacial burden.

If I meet a girl that don't have car or a license I don't bother. It's 2010 if you don't have the basic things like a license or a bank acct? wtf? If you think reading that made your head spin see what happens when she moves in.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
What exactly are you concerned with? That you will split up down the road and a court will order you to pay her money?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default You need friends to kick some sense into your arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
the sitch:
me -- decent paying job, own my residence, some savings, no debts, stable in every sense
she -- no job, no savings, no driver's license, no debts, an "artist"
...living with her parents at the moment, but they're threatening to throw her out on the street....
Yo.. dog! I'm gonna talk to you straight, like you're my own blood.

Are you 1) blinded by infatuation, 2) playing rob the cradle, or 3) both. Once the hero worship wears off, YOU will be the one looking to throw her out on the street. Before moving the gal in, tell her to grow up, take care of herself, and get a f r a c k i n ' J-O-B!!! If she wants a daddy, be one... but not a sugar daddy!

It blows my mind that you would even consider this in the first place! Man, the whoopie must be damn good! You lookin' for a hoochie mama? But even if that's the case, you're thinking with the wrong head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Umm get a girlfriend with a job, a car,a drivers license, a bank account, or let her move in and either A. get married and you take 100% of the finacial burden or B. not get married and take 100% of the finacial burden.

If I meet a girl that don't have car or a license I don't bother. It's 2010 if you don't have the basic things like a license or a bank acct? wtf? If you think reading that made your head spin see what happens when she moves in.
Yo.. dog! usually, saying "WTF" ain't my lingo, but this brother is absolutely right! You move this woman in and guess what you'll be saying a year from now? "WTF was I thinking???"

Listen to your City-Data friends. Me and kjd72 are looking out for you, bro! Don't just run away from this girl... change your phone number too! Get your game on somewhere else!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
I think you are all jumping to conclusions without knowing anything.

This woman is an 'artist' so it's not really anything extraordinary that she doesn't currently have a steady job. Maybe she's looking for a next gig? There are plenty of people, from artists to accountants, that are out of a job right now and have been out of a job for a long time.

As for not having a driver's license--maybe she just moved back in with her parents from a place like NYC where it is common not to have a driver's license. I have plenty of 20-40 year old friends in NYC that either never learned to drive in the first place, or let their out of state licenses expire soon after moving to the city and never renewed.

As for no savings--that doesn't necessarily mean that she doesn't have any bank accounts...it just means she doesn't have any savings. And just because the OP claims to have 'some savings' doesn't necessarily mean he's a 'sugar daddy'. What is 'some savings'? I can have $50 in a savings account and say I have 'some savings'.

To this woman's credit, the OP says she has no debts.

To the OP--I have no idea what your deal is, but it's pretty clear you have some SERIOUS trust issues with this chick if you're researching cohabitation and palimony laws in NJ and asking strangers on City Data for relationship advice. Furthermore, it sound like you have very little to no confidence that this woman will live up to your particular standards of 'stability' and be more on an equal playing field with you financially. In that case, I question not only why you would consider letting her move in, I also question why you are with her at all? What kind of a relationship is that?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Why would she able to get any money from you if you let her live in your place and then it didnt work out?

It is not like you are getting married. Unless she lived at your place for 5+ years, I do not see how it would be an issue to let her live with you. (I am not an expert though)

Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
If her own parents are throwing her out, there must be something you either don't know or haven't mentioned. If you "rescue" her then the lesson her parents are trying to teach her will not be learned.

There is no reason why she doesn't have any kind of job - even McDonald's is hiring. Artist is nice, but if it doesn't pay the bills, who is responsible for her? It should not be everyone else, it should be HERSELF.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Umm get a girlfriend with a job, a car, a drivers license, a bank account, or let her move in and either A. get married and you take 100% of the financial burden or B. not get married and take 100% of the financial burden.

yes, I hear you, loud & clear...

sad that we have to consider $$ when it comes to matters of the heart

Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What exactly are you concerned with? That you will split up down the road and a court will order you to pay her money?
yes.

I've seen too many of my fellow men get cleaned out, in NJ courts, under similar circumstances...

Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Yo.. dog! I'm gonna talk to you straight, like you're my own blood.
thank you my virtual brother.

I want to believe in the fairy tale... in fate...

it's the age old "brain vs. heart" debate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: