Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,753 times

Advertisements

I'm self employed and just received my premium rate change notice from Blue Cross Blue Shield. For a HMO with 50% co-pay on prescriptions with no pre existing conditions, it will be bumped up to $732.53/month....that's for 1 person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM

262 posts, read 790,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have Oxford, and pay less than $250 month as a 48 year old single woman. I've had it about 6 years, it's gone up about $20 since the first year. It does not cover prescriptions but has no co-pays for Dr visits, diagnostics, etc. I have to pick Dr's in their network.
The easiest way to compare plans is ehealthinsurance.com...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtothemax View Post
I'm self employed and just received my premium rate change notice from Blue Cross Blue Shield. For a HMO with 50% co-pay on prescriptions with no pre existing conditions, it will be bumped up to $732.53/month....that's for 1 person.
ocnjgirl's rate seemed promising (oxford seems to be from unitedhealthcare. Dont know much about the plan/insurance co, except from ads)!

taxedtothemax - your higher rate anything to do with your location? Do you have to stay within network, or can you choose from outside?

May be posters can provide their general location (north NJ, central, ..., coastal), name of health insurance company, in/out network option, and age-range (45-50), so others can understand the difference.

I probably need to go play with ehealthinsurance as ocnjgirl suggested, to see what is going on.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I am in South Jersey, age 48. Blue Cross is always one of the most expensive, 10 years ago when I pulled up my comparison chart, Oxford was like $220 and BC was over $500...that's why I went with Oxford, lol. The big difference I think is that with BC you can use any Doc while I have to stay in network (although Oxford has other plans too, my brother had them through his employer and he could go anywhere). Check them all out on ehealthinsurance, and you'll get a side by side comparison of the differences.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,420,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
Doesn't the federal healthcare law require this -- that everyone would have to be provided coverage? So (at the point that the clause comes into effect) NJ would not be alone in this regard?
NJ is not alone in this regard, there are several states where individual insurance has been guaranteed-issue for years. And yes, that will become the norm due to the health-reform law.

Things will be in serious flux for a while, and insurance will never be cheap. But the good news is that there will be more competition and more healthy people in the pools so over the next decade rates and coverage should stabilize.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM

262 posts, read 790,134 times
I was searching ehealthinsurance website. I could not find a PPO plan with anything greater than $2500 deductible. The site seems to be pretty good, so I am assuming that these High Deductible plans are not very popular or available in NJ? Any idea why?

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 AM

Maybe people don't want to pay high deductibles, or maybe PPO's aren't usually high deductible plans? Not sure, but mine is not a high deductible, yet I pay only 240/month after having the plan for over 7 years (I am 49, btw).

Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
NJ is not alone in this regard, there are several states where individual insurance has been guaranteed-issue for years. And yes, that will become the norm due to the health-reform law.

Things will be in serious flux for a while, and insurance will never be cheap. But the good news is that there will be more competition and more healthy people in the pools so over the next decade rates and coverage should stabilize.
Well, this is utter nonsense. Government involvement in health care will result in: higher costs, inefficiency, injustice, unfairness, and diminished freedom, along with moving us more along the continuum to European mediocrity. Providing health care or health insurance is not a legitimate function of government in a free society. And the result will be the same here as everywhere else: BAD CARE.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Well, this is utter nonsense. Government involvement in health care will result in: higher costs, inefficiency, injustice, unfairness, and diminished freedom, along with moving us more along the continuum to European mediocrity. Providing health care or health insurance is not a legitimate function of government in a free society. And the result will be the same here as everywhere else: BAD CARE.
I think you misunderstood the quote, the state isn't providing insurance, just making sure it's purchasable for all NJ citizens regardless of pre-existing conditions, etc. The companies are still private, and still set whatever rates they want.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtothemax View Post
ouch! That's an awful lot of money for an HMO, for one person. Time to look for a new plan.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:51 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think you misunderstood the quote, the state isn't providing insurance, just making sure it's purchasable for all NJ citizens regardless of pre-existing conditions, etc. The companies are still private, and still set whatever rates they want.
Yes, I understood. I do not want the state telling private companies who they have to insure. Or when. Or how. It's a private relationship and the government should not be involved. And of course, the reason insurance companies don't cover pre-existing in the first place is cost savings necessitated by a nightmarish panoply of government involvement and overregulation over the past 50 years. If you get rid of Medicare and Medicaid and all the other nonsense, insurance rates would probably be 30% of what they are.

And as Obamacare transmogrifies the system further, the results will be bad care, higher rates, and, of course, more call for further collectivization to correct the "problem" of too much freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey