Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Primarily the gangs are in Maple Leaf Park (formerly known as Sylvan Glade) in Brick and Hope's Crossing in Toms River. The complex by St. Dominic's has a similar issue to a much smaller extent, though there is another complex over by Cedar Bridge Ave. in Brick that is getting bad. That complex off Rt. 166 in TR also has its issues.

What ended up happening was that members of a certain "community" from Lakewood ended up buying units in these complexes en masse and renting them out through the state which placed large numbers of Section 8 people in there. The complexes are now a mix of undesirables from various races and creeds, some that sell drugs, other that buy drugs. The bulk of the crime in either town is largely limited to the borders of these particular condos. The issue is that it's bringing in riff-raff from all over the places - after all, the residents have like minded "friends" and it's become a hangout.

I agree that it's a shame that these very nice apartment complexes are now occupied by such scum. Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about it. The owners do what they want, and the particular owners (I won't elaborate, but read between the lines) have no interest in the well-being of the community since they live outside the town.
That's a dam shame..both my sister & brother lived in the one on Walnut St before they bought homes....
My ex BIL had rented at Woodlake in Lakewood when they first opened and they were beautiful & expensive....

I hear you though, I know exactly what you're talking about

My sister works at Community Medical Center and gets many "gang related" patients..I almost fell outta my chair when she told me how it is...I was like but this is TOMS RIVER not Newark....
She was also on the jury of the murder trial for one gangbanger....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM

147 posts, read 389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You know, in 2009 Newark's forcible rape rate, robbery rate, assault rate, etc were all nearly cut in half from the decade before in 1999-....
The crime rate rose in the 60s and 70s and dropped dramatically in the 90s because of demographics. It is well established that most crimes are committed by younger people (especially the 15-to-25 year old group). The baby boom occurred between 1946 and the mid 60s. As they came of age, crime went up. As the average age of the population started increasing later in the century, the crime rate declined. It's the same reason we'll be having trouble paying for Social Security/Medicare.
The crime rate declined sharply in Canada and other countries where the population is aging.
"Canada's crime rate for 1999 hit the lowest level in 20 years."
Dateline: 07/21/00(Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics)
"The proportion of the population involved in crime tends to peak in adolescence and early adulthood and then decline with age. This age-crime relationship is remarkably similar across historical periods, geographic locations, and crime types."
--Encyclopedia of Crime and Justice, 2nd ed. J Dressler, editor. Macmillan 2002 (Vol 1, p31)
"Neither the number of police in a community nor the style of policing appears related to the crime rate....the District of Columbia had both the highest homicide rate and the most metropolitan police per square foot of any city in the nation.
--Richard Moran, professor of criminology at Mount Holyoke College.
"Community Policing Strategies Do Little to Prevent Crime." In: _Crime_ P. Winters, ed. San Diego, CA: Greenhaven Press, 1998.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
Newark's drop in crime was not all that it was made out to be. Most of it was a numbers game. Newark police had a practice of charging violent criminals with more than one crime per incident. For example: if a person was assaulted during the course of a robbery, the perpetrator would be charged with robbery, assault, possesion of a weapon, eluding police, hindering prosecution, and whatever else the police could heap on. Many of these suspects were poor residents who could not afford a private attorney and usually took a plea deal. Where Newark differed from other cities who did the same thing, was that, in a majority of the cases, ALL of the charges stuck.

Studies by criminologists have shown that the number of police has no significant effect on the crime rate.
"Neither the number of police in a community nor the style of policing appears related to the crime rate....the District of Columbia had both the highest homicide rate and the most metropolitan police per square foot of any city in the nation.
--"Community Policing Strategies Do Little to Prevent Crime." In: _Crime_ P. Winters, ed. San Diego, CA: Greenhaven Press, 1998.

Kansas City preventive patrol experiment
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kansas City preventive patrol experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Kansas City preventive patrol experiment was a landmark experiment...by the Kansas City Police Department. It was evaluated by the Police Foundation. It was designed to test the assumption that the presence (or potential presence) of police officers in marked cars reduced the likelihood of a crime being committed.
The design took three police beats in Kansas City, and varied patrol routine in them. The first group received no routine patrols, instead the police responded only to calls from residents. The second group had the normal level of patrols, while the third had two to three times as many patrols.
Major findings
1. Citizens did not notice the difference when the frequency of patrols was changed.
2. Increasing or decreasing the level of patrol had no significant effect on resident and commercial burglaries, auto thefts, larcenies involving auto accessories, robberies, or vandalism-crimes.
3. The rate at which crimes were reported did not differ significantly across the experimental beats.
4. Citizen reported fear of crime was not affected by different levels of patrol.
5. Citizen satisfaction with police did not vary.

The most thorough study ever done, a 1981 analysis of police beats in Newark, NJ, found that foot patrols had virtually no effect on crime rates."
"Community Policing Strategies Do Little to Prevent Crime." In: _Crime_ P. Winters, ed. San Diego, CA: Greenhaven Press, 1998.
"The New York Story: More Luck Than Policing." _Washington Post National Weekly Edition_, Feb 17-23,1997.

David H. Bayley, Ph.D. (1961) Princeton University, Distinguished Professor of Criminal Justice, School of Criminal Justice, State University of New York at Albany:
_Police for the Future_ Oxford University Press: New York 1994
"The police do not prevent crime (Ch 1)...Dishonest law enforcement...is by and large what we have now. It occurs when the police promise to prevent crime but actually provide something else - namely, authoritative intervention and symbolic justice." (p. 124)
A study of policing in Detroit from 1926 to 1977 found no relationship between policing and crime rate
--_What Works in Policing_ by David H. Bayley (Editor). New York: Oxford University Press, 1998 (Ch 1).

Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
study of policing in Detroit from 1926 to 1977
The most thorough study ever done, a 1981 analysis
Not too outdated. The KC study was done back in the 70's I believe. Foot patrol was the start of community policing. It had other benefits lost on today's politicians. It easy to find studies to justify an opinion. Studies can be produced to justify any position. unfortunatly as you obviously have little experience in the field, the vast majority of the calls are calls for service and not criminal in nature.

Newark, like Camden is destined to become a breeding ground for crime which will spread to the surrounding towns. Only the totally clueless would think it will be confined to the borders of the town itself. Essex County is seeing spikes in crimes not seen in the towns before.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Not too outdated. The KC study was done back in the 70's I believe. Foot patrol was the start of community policing. It had other benefits lost on today's politicians. It easy to find studies to justify an opinion. Studies can be produced to justify any position..
You produce no studies to support any position.
Facts don't change with time. For example,"The proportion of the population involved in crime tends to peak in adolescence and early adulthood and then decline with age. This age-crime relationship is remarkably similar across historical periods, geographic locations, and crime types."
--Encyclopedia of Crime and Justice, 2nd ed. J Dressler, editor. Macmillan 2002 (Vol 1, p31) The studies covered nearly half a century. How likely is it that things suddenly changd in 2000?

Quote:
the vast majority of the calls are calls for service and not criminal in nature.
The studies covered crime rates.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:07 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's a dam shame..both my sister & brother lived in the one on Walnut St before they bought homes....
My ex BIL had rented at Woodlake in Lakewood when they first opened and they were beautiful & expensive....

I hear you though, I know exactly what you're talking about

My sister works at Community Medical Center and gets many "gang related" patients..I almost fell outta my chair when she told me how it is...I was like but this is TOMS RIVER not Newark....
She was also on the jury of the murder trial for one gangbanger....
Ahh, yeah... that was some trial. Witnesses and their families murdered, intimidation, like a crime novel. There were snipers posted on top of the Ocean County courthouse with a constant monitor on who was coming in and out of the area. Crazy stuff.

It's definitely a shame from the perspective of a lack of "starter" homes, but the one good thing is that the criminal element has not really spread outside of these relatively small condo complexes, for the most part. It would be nice if they could somehow figure out a way to stem the tide and "cap" things as they are, because if you get enough children from these people going to the schools, that "culture" will spread like a cancer. That's when a town begins to go downhill. Luckily Brick and TR have strength in numbers - they're 85,000 and 95,000 resident communities, respectively, so the good people outweigh the bad by 100-to-1 margins easily. Property values have been maintained in both of these towns, fortunately.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Crime rate...how do you propose to determine what crimes didn't occur do to increases of a police presence. It hasn't taken Chicago's rate much time at all to start upward after reductions. Studies can show whatever the author wants them to show. Anyone who believes that statistics can not be bend one way or the other is simply following themselves.

You quote sections of Bayley's book yet fail to quote any area that paints a positive note. You also failed to note that his data was developed from not only the US, but Japan, Canada, and Britain among others. Is there room for improvements? Yes, there is.

In any case, NJ cities will start falling one after another. As it flows from the inner cities to the suburbs which is now being seen in Essex County towns, half hearted attempts to stop it will be futile. The gangs of today have found a new sense of empowerment and little will cause them any hesitation.

Quote:
Luckily Brick and TR have strength in numbers - they're 85,000 and 95,000 resident communities, respectively, so the good people outweigh the bad by 100-to-1 margins easily. Property values have been maintained in both of these towns, fortunately.
That's one of the problems with the thinking in the state. Residents seem to think the issues of the town is based only on the residents of that town. They seem to conveniently forget the fact that there isn't a wall around the town itself and the elements from all over can easily make them a target. The standard "nothing happens here. It's a quiet town" is simply putting your heads in the sand. Simply makes you an easy target.

Last edited by rscalzo; 12-04-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Quote:
That's one of the problems with the thinking in the state. Residents seem to think the issues of the town is based only on the residents of that town. They seem to conveniently forget the fact that there isn't a wall around the town itself and the elements from all over can easily make them a target. The standard "nothing happens here. It's a quiet town" is simply putting your heads in the sand. Simply makes you an easy target.
You're right, to an extent. But facts are facts and stats are stats. The truth is that, in most cases, crime does not spread from one community to another. There are exceptions (Ewing comes to mind) but look at all of the beautiful towns in New Jersey next to high-crime areas - Allenhurst is next to Asbury Park, Millburn is practically next to Irvington, Cranford is a few minutes from Elizabeth. These towns don't have high crime rates as a result of their proximity to high crime areas.

As I said before, the main way you get a criminal element to spread and begin a downfall is through the school system. Look at my example from before, Ewing. When Trenton people started "inventing" Ewing addresses and sending their kids to the schools, the whole town began a downward spiral. Assuming that doesn't happen in "town X", and there is no connection between two communities, the criminal element does not tend to spread. Criminals tend to remain in their element. It's a lot easier to get away with a crime in Irvington than Millburn, for example. Traveling to another community involves using a car, dealing with people you don't know and - presumably - standing out from that other town's residents. The risk is often too high.

In Brick and Toms River, you have a situation where individual condo complexes have had units bought up by an outside group of individuals (which in this case is based in a nearby town and shares a religious affiliation) that leased them out to the state. In and of itself, this brought in undesirables, but the problem was mainly made worse because the "friends" and "associates" of the residents who moved in began coming into town. The local police department has been fighting back by starting surveillance teams, plainclothes officers, ghost cars, etc. to make sure the criminal element is effectively penned in. So far, it has been working, fortunately.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM

341 posts, read 678,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
Studies by criminologists have shown that the number of police has no significant effect on the crime rate.
--"Community Policing Strategies Do Little to Prevent Crime." In: _Crime_ P. Winters, ed. San Diego, CA: Greenhaven Press, 1998.

Kansas City preventive patrol experiment
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kansas City preventive patrol experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Kansas City preventive patrol experiment was a landmark experiment...by the Kansas City Police Department. It was evaluated by the Police Foundation. It was designed to test the assumption that the presence (or potential presence) of police officers in marked cars reduced the likelihood of a crime being committed.
The design took three police beats in Kansas City, and varied patrol routine in them. The first group received no routine patrols, instead the police responded only to calls from residents. The second group had the normal level of patrols, while the third had two to three times as many patrols.
Major findings
1. Citizens did not notice the difference when the frequency of patrols was changed.
2. Increasing or decreasing the level of patrol had no significant effect on resident and commercial burglaries, auto thefts, larcenies involving auto accessories, robberies, or vandalism-crimes.
3. The rate at which crimes were reported did not differ significantly across the experimental beats.
4. Citizen reported fear of crime was not affected by different levels of patrol.
5. Citizen satisfaction with police did not vary.

The most thorough study ever done, a 1981 analysis of police beats in Newark, NJ, found that foot patrols had virtually no effect on crime rates."
"The New York Story: More Luck Than Policing." _Washington Post National Weekly Edition_, Feb 17-23,1997.

David H. Bayley, Ph.D. (1961) Princeton University, Distinguished Professor of Criminal Justice, School of Criminal Justice, State University of New York at Albany:
_Police for the Future_ Oxford University Press: New York 1994
"The police do not prevent crime (Ch 1)...Dishonest law enforcement...is by and large what we have now. It occurs when the police promise to prevent crime but actually provide something else - namely, authoritative intervention and symbolic justice." (p. 124)
A study of policing in Detroit from 1926 to 1977 found no relationship between policing and crime rate
--_What Works in Policing_ by David H. Bayley (Editor). New York: Oxford University Press, 1998 (Ch 1).
Yes, I agree that the number of police has no effect on the crime rate. Nowhere in my original post did I suggest that it did. What happened in Newark under the leadership of Booker was the creation of two different crime rates: the actual crime rate and the crime rate created for the public and the media. It was not the added police presence in Newark that caused a drop in crime, it was the abandoning of the old system of charging poor minority criminals with a completely new system of charging poor minority criminals. Booker hired a bunch of new cops to make it look like it was an increased police presence that was responsible. He knew full well that when he hired them that the city could never afford the new recruits. All he needed to do was keep them around long enough for his "manufactured" crime drop and make sure he did not let them go before the next election. All these people that follow Corey Booker on Facebook (which Booker has someone else posting for him) claiming that he is a different sort of politician, one with morals and a sense on decency and ethics, are sorely mistaken. Booker is as slimy, greedy, and as shady as they come. He toyed with the lives of all of those new recruits knowing all along what he was going to do to them, which was to selfishly use them for his own self-centered gain.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:18 PM

48 posts, read 161,870 times
Well the computers are taking over for real...layoffs and more cameras...hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey