Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 PM

125 posts, read 333,812 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people say how bad NJ will be in 20 years. That only the wealth and poverty will survive.. Well, i beg to differ.

Many people flee to states like NC or FL to escape taxes among other things (weather being another). Yet everyone seems to hold to heart the culture and traditional vibe the state has to offer. Where as NC/FL are becoming sprawled and experiencing growing pains, plus, there's more of a tacky vibe.

Schools are better in NJ, it has some of the lowest state wide poverty rates, the infrastructure is better in NJ, the health care is better in NJ, NJ has been one of the most innovative states in the nation, and crime (as much as people dramatize it) is much lower to the states people are fleeing to... There's going to be ridiculous taxes, especially since there's less room to grow.

Now of course, Newark, Paterson and Camden are crummy to say the least, but these cities make up such a small percent of the population. Every mid to small-sized industrial city across the nation hasn't been doing so hot either. That's what NJ was/is, the crossroads of finance and an industrial mecca. It's biggest natural resource is location.

In 20 years, you think NC will be affordable? Land is being eaten away there at a rapid pace and the state is having a hard time leveling out the population growth and job growth. FL has already had a foreclosure crisis and crazy unemployment spike, and taxes are only getting higher. Delaware is already developing heavy traffic and construction... These states have there issues too, and would one be able to just pick up their things and live there like royalty if it wasn't for their earnings made in NJ?

I've lived in North Carolina for 2 years (school), and a lot of the professional workforce was being snatched up by people from the tri-state region. Most of the people from this area were some of the wealthiest people in the neighborhoods- The state had nearly twice the amount of poverty, and it's not "us"- Though, the migration influenced the state to do better (in terms of education)
This is why we're infamous for being bitter and arrogant. No matter what, and no matter where we are, we are always the biggest whiners. (not everyone of course, but in general)

Taxes do you dirty, but try the taxes in Europe & Canada. Everyone knows how much "worst" they are in terms of QOL NJ already has the most European like state wide infrastructure.
I feel NJ will age like wine TBH (I think Newark will actually be A LOT better in 20 years). NJ will, for the most part, keep growing at a steady pace, instead of sprawling more fugliness, the state should rehabilitate old charm. I know that's not what a lot of people want, and that they want all together "new homes". But do you really want NJ to run out of the only space it has? Why ruin the state for something you can get in Delaware for cheap.

Hell, why not annex the hell out of the state? Why is there over 500 municipalities, and nearly 170 school districts in 1,800 square miles!? THERE'S ONLY ABOUT 70 SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN FL!! NJ has more libraries, cops, towns, schools, and parks per square mile than any other state in the nation (to a large margin)

I'm a well traveled native NYer (state island), but I always found NJ to have a lot of potential with a shtty government. California is supposed to be so wonderful, but what a hell hole as far as the economy, immigration. and housing market goes.

Now, I'm not saying people that move away from NJ don't have all the right in the world to, but why do so many people leave it on such a bad note?! There's a reason why NJ has such a high COL. Soak up all the opportunities and earnings (you have access to almost anything), but why complain that it got you a big house in the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
This is an excellent post. Other than the corruption in politics and high property taxes, I currently live within 1 hr of dense wooded areas, a big city, a mountain for snowboarding, and the beach. The food here is amazing as well. You won't get such a variety and good tasting quality of different ethnic foods in other places.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
As a 65 year resident of NJ and also living in the most wealthy county, I can tell you why lots of people like us move to NC.
I made a very good living with my own business in NJ and lived in a great neighborhood.
But like so many others I made some bad investments in the market and my retirement fund was cut in half from what I needed to retire in NJ. I looked at my options and NC fit the bill as far as COL and the weather was similar, just a little hotter.
My children were educated in NJ schools and colleges and I am grateful for that.
We sold our NJ Home and bought one in a golf community in NC for half the price that we sold our NJ home for. We now have a nice back up fund for our retirement.
When we grew up in NJ it probably had about the same population per square mile that NC has right now but NJ is about 1/4 the size of NC and it is just too crowded in the NY metropolitan area for us.

NJ is a great place to grow up and get an education. For college grads a great place to seek your fortune, but for non college folks the employment opportunities are nil.
I loved growing up and living in NJ for many of the reasons the OP stated but for those of us now on a fixed income, fagetaboutit.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:24 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times
Great post lookingtobefree! I wish I never left NJ

Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
I hear a lot of people say how bad NJ will be in 20 years. That only the wealth and poverty will survive.. Well, i beg to differ.

Many people flee to states like NC or FL to escape taxes among other things (weather being another). Yet everyone seems to hold to heart the culture and traditional vibe the state has to offer. Where as NC/FL are becoming sprawled and experiencing growing pains, plus, there's more of a tacky vibe.

Schools are better in NJ, it has some of the lowest state wide poverty rates, the infrastructure is better in NJ, the health care is better in NJ, NJ has been one of the most innovative states in the nation, and crime (as much as people dramatize it) is much lower to the states people are fleeing to... There's going to be ridiculous taxes, especially since there's less room to grow.

Now of course, Newark, Paterson and Camden are crummy to say the least, but these cities make up such a small percent of the population. Every mid to small-sized industrial city across the nation hasn't been doing so hot either. That's what NJ was/is, the crossroads of finance and an industrial mecca. It's biggest natural resource is location.

In 20 years, you think NC will be affordable? Land is being eaten away there at a rapid pace and the state is having a hard time leveling out the population growth and job growth. FL has already had a foreclosure crisis and crazy unemployment spike, and taxes are only getting higher. Delaware is already developing heavy traffic and construction... These states have there issues too, and would one be able to just pick up their things and live there like royalty if it wasn't for their earnings made in NJ?

I've lived in North Carolina for 2 years (school), and a lot of the professional workforce was being snatched up by people from the tri-state region. Most of the people from this area were some of the wealthiest people in the neighborhoods- The state had nearly twice the amount of poverty, and it's not "us"- Though, the migration influenced the state to do better (in terms of education)
This is why we're infamous for being bitter and arrogant. No matter what, and no matter where we are, we are always the biggest whiners. (not everyone of course, but in general)

Taxes do you dirty, but try the taxes in Europe & Canada. Everyone knows how much "worst" they are in terms of QOL NJ already has the most European like state wide infrastructure.
I feel NJ will age like wine TBH (I think Newark will actually be A LOT better in 20 years). NJ will, for the most part, keep growing at a steady pace, instead of sprawling more fugliness, the state should rehabilitate old charm. I know that's not what a lot of people want, and that they want all together "new homes". But do you really want NJ to run out of the only space it has? Why ruin the state for something you can get in Delaware for cheap.

Hell, why not annex the hell out of the state? Why is there over 500 municipalities, and nearly 170 school districts in 1,800 square miles!? THERE'S ONLY ABOUT 70 SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN FL!! NJ has more libraries, cops, towns, schools, and parks per square mile than any other state in the nation (to a large margin)

I'm a well traveled native NYer (state island), but I always found NJ to have a lot of potential with a shtty government. California is supposed to be so wonderful, but what a hell hole as far as the economy, immigration. and housing market goes.

Now, I'm not saying people that move away from NJ don't have all the right in the world to, but why do so many people leave it on such a bad note?! There's a reason why NJ has such a high COL. Soak up all the opportunities and earnings (you have access to almost anything), but why complain that it got you a big house in the south?

Did you get into my head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey