Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. You would think that with all the driving New Jerseyans do and the fact that no one likes screaming, whining children in a movie theater that drive-ins would be a helluva lot popular!

I believe that there is only one drive-in theater left in this state and it's located in Vineland (in deep parts of South Jersey). I say bring 'em back!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 02:46 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
On the saw amount of real estate you can have 2, 3, or 4 times the indoor screens, and you can show movies all day and all night, regardless of the weather. Its a simple matter of economics, especially in a state where real estate is so expensive.

I can't remember the last time I was disturbed by anyone making noise during a movie- is that still a problem in NJ for some reason?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:35 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
They used to be popular. In fact, they originated here in New Jersey, in Camden, back in the 1930's. In Central Jersey, there used to be a drive-in at late as the 1970's where Fashion Plaza is located on Route 1 S in North Brunswick (the mall with Wal-Mart, Office Depot, Modell's, etc.).

As Bob noted, the biggest drawback today is the number of screens you can have in an indoor theater on the same amount of land. The other issue is, with the advent of technology like 60" flat-screens under $2K, Movies On Demand and NetFlix streaming movies, it is more economical for people to stay at home to pull up multiple first-run movies instead of driving to a location to view just one.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:40 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Just wondering. You would think that with all the driving New Jerseyans do and the fact that no one likes screaming, whining children in a movie theater that drive-ins would be a helluva lot popular!

I believe that there is only one drive-in theater left in this state and it's located in Vineland (in deep parts of South Jersey). I say bring 'em back!

Thoughts?
Yes, the land was worth more then the $5 dollar a car load.
Morris Plains had a drive in on route 10. Parsippany had one on route 46.
One was further down route 10 in the Hanover area. Plus one of the last ones left "was" the Ledgewood drive in at the circle.
Many went to become flea markets and then sold for the value in the land.
It was a fun gathering to take the kids out in their PJ's for a movie.
They adored those dark, spring nights.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:59 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
Antiquated business, business model.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Antiquated business, business model.
Agreed, but I could see a couple here and there making out purely on the novelty angle. Now, if they started building them all over the place...

Old 12-20-2010, 04:03 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
I went to a drive in movie in Bricktown two summers ago. They had a blow up movie screen and you tuned your radio to a station that recieved the audio. It was in July and it started around 9:00. They had a "Summer in the park" promotion and it was free.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Amboy drive in is now a cineplex
Somerville drive in is now a miniature golf range
Ringoes drive in is now Hunterdon county fairgrounds
Then there was one on St gGeorge ave in Woodbridge that is now a roadside mall

Fancy movie theaters and bigger tv's spelled their doom. Cost of land went through the roof. Taxes.

I'll bet law suits were threatened for spilling a coke that was too cold on someone's lap. Drivers by might complain about movie content of local authorities of distracted drivers.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
They served the purpose back in the day, now there really isn't any sense to them

Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
I think they're not popular anymore, because today's cars are much smaller, and it's difficult to get busy during the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey