Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 PM

61 posts, read 104,697 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in the Cherry Hill area of NJ, I have been looking to make the move to somewhere in North Jersey with a friend of mine.

We're both 26 year olds, college grads, with full time jobs etc...and have been starting to look for a 2 bedroom apartment to rent. We both have a limit of about 750/mo for rent each, but can negotiate.

I would be commuting to Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn to work, it varies each day, by public transportation. (I'd consider moving to Brooklyn too, but it wouldnt work for my friend).

My friend would be commuting to Allendale, NJ to work by car. Distance for my friend isn't as big of a deal because he already commutes about 40 minutes to work right now, for me it will be, as I'm only taking public transportation. I do have a car as well, but wouldnt use it to get to work.

Hoboken has been a major consideration but I'm not sure it'll fit our price range. Or will it? Not to say I am "materialistic" but I refuse to live in a crappy apartment, I dont want luxury, just want something that's at least been a little renovated or up to date. Safety is an issue for me as well.

Any suggestions as to where we should look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Hoboken is out of your range.
A lot for the nice waterfront areas in Hudson County are out of your range- Weehawken could possibly work. You may like The Heights in Jersey City, which is considered "Hoboken West". It's a bit more affordable and diverse, and there has been a lot of renovation throughout the neighborhoods over the years. You should find something up-to-date around there.
Bayonne is another one worth checking out. Hackensack, Lyndhurst, Rutherford, and Kearny could also work.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Whats the area like in Weehawken and Jersey City Heights, Fort Lee? especially as far as safety goes? Not to sound rude, but I'm a female, pretty small in stature and I dont want to make myself look like an easy target in some areas...

Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
Whats the area like in Weehawken and Jersey City Heights, Fort Lee? especially as far as safety goes? Not to sound rude, but I'm a female, pretty small in stature and I dont want to make myself look like an easy target in some areas...

I live in Weehawken and I never had anything happen to me or ever heard of anything happening to anyone else. I feel perfectly safe here. It is pretty quiet here at night. I heard good things about Fort Lee, but have never been there myself. The Heights gets mix reviews. I have been there in the day and it seems nice to me, but I have heard people say that some sections of it are loud and some sections are a little shady at times.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Fort Lee is a nice town, not dangerous at all except for maybe some police activity with the drug route that runs to and from Jersey over the GWB. Heavy Korean population (also small in stature, lol).

Seriously, my 19-year-old daughter spends a lot of her time in Fort Lee where her father lives, and walks to the shops and restaurants on her own all the time. She's a scrawny thing, and she's never had an issue there.

I've never heard of any problems with Weekhawken, either. Jersey City--different story. Lot of crime. Some areas are better than others, but it can be a matter of a block or two from "good" area to "shots fired" areas.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
I'm currently living in the Cherry Hill area of NJ, I have been looking to make the move to somewhere in North Jersey with a friend of mine.

We're both 26 year olds, college grads, with full time jobs etc...and have been starting to look for a 2 bedroom apartment to rent. We both have a limit of about 750/mo for rent each, but can negotiate.

I would be commuting to Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn to work, it varies each day, by public transportation. (I'd consider moving to Brooklyn too, but it wouldnt work for my friend).

My friend would be commuting to Allendale, NJ to work by car. Distance for my friend isn't as big of a deal because he already commutes about 40 minutes to work right now, for me it will be, as I'm only taking public transportation. I do have a car as well, but wouldnt use it to get to work.

Hoboken has been a major consideration but I'm not sure it'll fit our price range. Or will it? Not to say I am "materialistic" but I refuse to live in a crappy apartment, I dont want luxury, just want something that's at least been a little renovated or up to date. Safety is an issue for me as well.

Any suggestions as to where we should look?
hoboken would be tough. even if you could pull off the $1500/month in rent, which is possible, though won't get you anything very nice, parking will be a disaster for your friend. also, just getting in and out of hoboken with a car is 15-20 minutes of commute time. it's miserable unless you live right by one of the town's exits.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Definitely visit Weehawken, Hoboken and even Jersey City (Heights, Journal Sq. or Downtown areas).

You'll know if you want to live in those areas once you visit each. Hoboken is the best for young folks like you and your friend but the cost is higher (not impossible) and parking is a pain unless you live in a building out West where garage parking and street parking isn't as hard to find.

I know a friend who shared a $2200/mo 3BR with 2 other people in Hoboken and it worked for her 'cus she is easy going and love meeting new people.

I used to live in Hoboken and was looking at Weehawken and JC until I decided to move to Rutherford...

Your friend will likely face a 40 - 50 minutes commute depending on which of the 3 towns you decide on. Your commute to downtown may be more or less depending on which town you decide and how you commute to the city.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 AM

97 posts, read 310,993 times
I would try Jersey City (downtown) and Hoboken, but you probably won't find anything to your standards in that price range. After that, start looking in Weehawken, Rutherford and parts of East Rutherford (closer to the Rutherford downtown area so you have more things to do). If that doesn't work out, there is always Lyndhurst, Secaucus (kind of a quiet town), parts of Union City, Summit (about a 40min commute to the city though by train/bus) and West New York (on the blvd).

Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll have to check out some of these areas...I'll be back in a bit with more questions! have to talk to the friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey