Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM

51 posts, read 88,320 times

Advertisements

I want to get a group of mature ladies from Central Jersey together to hike on the Appalachian Trail or other nice trail in NJ. Can you recommend a personal favorite trail? We would keep it less strenuous. I love Harriman and Sterling but want to get some other ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default AT alternatives

Most sections of the AT are pretty rugged, of course that is a relative term.

If these walks might morph into a series, you might try some shorter hikes of about an hour or so at the many hunterdon county park system parks. For starters go to the delaware and raritan canal which can now be accessed via Colonial park in millstone.

Rutgers gardens off Ryders lane in new brunswick.

6-mile run with a start at the blackwell's mill office/parking lot on canal rd would be an excellent choice.

Stony brook preserve in the Princeton/Hopewell area has many interesting attractions as well as a relatively flat ground and a trail along the stony brook.

A first time hike with views and within striking distance would be Cold Brook Preserve off rt 517 just outside of Oldwick. Beautiful views, gently riolling hills and probably a few miles of 'trail'. This is a hunterdon co park and displayed on-line.

Columbia trail runs for about 7 miles on an old railroad bed, starts in Highbridge and would be another excellent choice.

Then there is round valley in lebanon which is my best initial recomendation. Nice views, facilities, mapped and marked trails.

Hike along old mine rd which parallels the AT trails. Last exit in NJ off rt 80 just past the visitors center. Many trailheads that run up to sunfish pond/the AT and once you make a short initial climb many of the trails run parallel for some distance which could constitute the 'hike'.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
There is a trail that runs all over the east coast and through NJ called the East Coast Greenway.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
I love the "Giant Stairs Trail". Its the northeastern tip of NJ into NY. Total hike is about 5-7 miles depending how you go. Great scenic overlooks across the Hudson to the NY side between the GW bridge and Tappan Zee bridge. Its a rather difficult trail with a "rock climb" section along the water but very rewarding in my opinion. Its by Exit 1 on the Palisade Parkway and you get off at the Alpine State Lookout Center.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks all, These sound like excellent suggestions. I know that Rutgers gardens has a mature rhodo garden and it would be great to hike when they are in bloom. It is close to me and I always intend to do that and then get side-tracked. I would take my husband and out photo gear on some of the hikes you suggested.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Great Day Hikes of the Ramapo Valley County Reservation

there are a lot of great hikes at ramapo - i would hike probably depending on what is near you though?>

Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM

The East Coast Greenway looks like a good bet because you have the option of hiking or biking and it is along the Raritan River and the D&R Canal in Middlesex Country. There are not too many road routes in this section. I will look into it as soon as the snow melts. I looked up the Rutgers gardens and might volunteer there since I have a little free time. This forum has been very useful to me.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Here is another idea. The Rails to Trails program takes old, no-longer-used rail rights of way and converts them to hiking trails. I thought it was a Jersey thing, but I just did a search and apparently it's country-wide. You can do a search to find trails on the site. The featured trail this month, however, was a NJ trail.

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy:: Trail of the Month: Sussex Branch Trail, New Jersey

And this is what came up on the list when I searched NJ.

Bike, Walking, Hiking, Running, Snowmobile Trails and Trail Maps | TrailLink

Glad you asked this question, because now I'm going to look at this a little more closely myself!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM

These are great web sites. There is much to choose from. I have been out hiking in the snow out of necessity and have been enjoying it. Dingmans Falls in PA is all frozen over and interesting.
I am also going to recommend that our ladies go to the Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton. It involves a lot of walking on trails that pass by the sculptures that are nestled in cozy private gardens all over the grounds. There are so many trees and shrubs and grasses and sculptures that it is beautiful year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey